Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 09:40 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I do not believe that an armed occupation of North America by Germany or Japan or a combination of the two, was ever a remote possibility.

After June '41, even Hitler's chance to invade the UK was probably down the pipes.
Canada declared war on Germany in 1939 and it, along with other Allies of the UK came to its aid. If not for that, the UK would have fallen. The countless merchant marine vessels (notably transporting munitions but also other supplies necessary to maintain the war effort) littering the ocean floors are a testament to that. We had a big part to play in helping build the UK war machine and trained thousand of Pilots. Subsequently, the U.S played an even bigger role in aiding the UK. So I hardly believe the UK would have sustained itself without that assistance. So UK down and in German hands, that was not a reality North America and the other Commonwealth countries... Australia and India of note along with others were willing to take.

In 1945 a German U-Boat 190 was captured by the Canadian Navy and was renamed HMCS U190 and soon after scuddled. The point being the U Boats were very active close to shores presently guarded by Norad. If any such nation were to come so close in such a hostile manner in present day, heaven help them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 11:06 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Canada was not an "ally" of the UK---Canada WAS the UK (Great Britain---the term UK had not been coined yet), and only London had the authority to declare war on behalf of Canada.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:16 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,955,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Canada was not an "ally" of the UK---Canada WAS the UK (Great Britain---the term UK had not been coined yet), and only London had the authority to declare war on behalf of Canada.
The "United Kingdom" had existed since 1800, When the Act Of Union was created. It was also when the current flag was created.

Yes, England declared war and that meant that the Commonwealth was also at war. But I believe Canada didn't offically declare until 7 days after England? As they didn't want to get involoved initially!

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 04-24-2009 at 02:36 AM..

Old 04-24-2009, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Thanks for your correction. In purely technical terms correct but not to get lost in your world of technicalities, really in spirit not so much the case. For all intents and purposes, Great Britain was on its death throes with regards to its power over the dominion in 1939. What would they have done, decalared war on a dominion country for refusing to partake in WW2? Sent over some redcoats lol? Hardly not they were in no strategic position to do anything except mobilize for war and hope to god they would get help (which obviously they deserved), though some in here could give a rats ass about the U.K and other Western European victims of Hitler uhem Djacques. However, we declared war 7 days after they did just to "prove" we were sovereign. 42,789 Canadians died in WW2 and 100,000 were wounded not because Canada had to, because it wanted to. That is the point. We could have officially been at War because London told us we were and yet King could have sat on the sidelines and flipped the bird to Great Britain (as you insist it be called) and there wouldn't have been a goddamn thing they could do aboot it. So I stand by what I said, they were our ally

This from the CBC archives

On This Day - Sept. 10, 1939 - CBC Archives

"War! On Sept. 10, 1939, a special session of Parliament approves Prime Minister Mackenzie King's request that Canada join the war in Europe. The decision, seen by most Canadians as inevitable, comes exactly one week after England and France declare war on Nazi Germany. It is the first time that Canadians make their own declaration of war as a sovereign nation."

Last edited by mississauga75; 04-24-2009 at 06:33 AM..

Old 04-24-2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
The "United Kingdom" had existed since 1800, When the Act Of Union was created. It was also when the current flag was created.

Yes, England declared war and that meant that the Commonwealth was also at war. But I believe Canada didn't offically declare until 7 days after England? As they didn't want to get involoved initially!
Didn't want to get involved initially to "prove" the point we were sovereign. In spirit we were very much in support of the motherland as other dominion countries were and there are plenty of dead Canadians and (other allies)and lost property to prove it. If you have anything else to add to the Canadian equation in support of the UK in WW2, please feel free to throw it out there, i'll be waiting.

Anyway, this support was absolutely essential to the continued existence of the UK, particularly prior to the U.S involvement which effectively sealed the deal that Germany would not succeed. Well that and Hitlers irrational decision to attack the Soviet Union - again proof Hitler made horrendous decisions- probably because he had a dream the night before.

On another note, If Australia flipped the bird to the UK at the time and decided to sit it out, there wasn't much the UK could have done about it. Hey btw, is there growing pressure down there to turf the Queen as HofS? I heard Australia is more keen to get rid of her than Canada. There were rumblings around here, particularly in Quebec but it has died down.

Last edited by mississauga75; 04-24-2009 at 06:37 AM..

Old 04-24-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
Didn't want to get involved initially to "prove" the point we were sovereign. In spirit we were very much in support of the motherland as other countries were dominion countries were. This support was absolutely essential to the continued existence of the UK, particularly prior to the U.S involved which effectively sealed the deal that Germany would not succeed.
Thanks for that. I was aware of Canada's move to show it's Independance at the time. But I wasn't fully sure if that was the only reason behind it?

I agree. The Soldiers,Sailors and Airmen of the Dominion forces, were definately Essential. In enabling England to stand against Germany for as long as it did. A Fallen England could have become quite a problem for us?

BTW: It's ANZAC Day here this weekend and even though it's mainly for us antipodes. We still pause to remember you Canadians.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:

BTW: It's ANZAC Day here this weekend and even though it's mainly for us antipodes. We still pause to remember you Canadians.
How fitting! Happy ANZAC Day! Australia may be on the other side of the world in relation to Canada, but not on the opposite side of our hearts. Cheers!

Old 04-24-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
Didn't want to get involved initially to "prove" the point we were sovereign. In spirit we were very much in support of the motherland as other dominion countries were and there are plenty of dead Canadians and (other allies)and lost property to prove it. If you have anything else to add to the Canadian equation in support of the UK in WW2, please feel free to throw it out there, i'll be waiting.

Anyway, this support was absolutely essential to the continued existence of the UK, particularly prior to the U.S involvement which effectively sealed the deal that Germany would not succeed. Well that and Hitlers irrational decision to attack the Soviet Union - again proof Hitler made horrendous decisions- probably because he had a dream the night before.

On another note, If Australia flipped the bird to the UK at the time and decided to sit it out, there wasn't much the UK could have done about it. Hey btw, is there growing pressure down there to turf the Queen as HofS? I heard Australia is more keen to get rid of her than Canada. There were rumblings around here, particularly in Quebec but it has died down.
True. We possibly could have claimed some sort of Neutrality? But at the start of the war, There was just no real reason for Australia to say no! However, we did feel like flipping "the bird" later on. When England made it difficult for us, to get our troops home to face the Japanese.

Yes, The republic debate seems to be gathering quite abit of steam here? It's quite possible that in the next decade or two. We may become the Republic of Australia?

Personally, I'm not sure about becoming a republic? I don't think things will be any better and our current system has served us pretty well. I have no bones to grind with Her Majesty...Her crazy family however, are a different matter entirely!

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 04-24-2009 at 08:49 AM..

Old 04-24-2009, 08:11 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
What you say is technically true, and I stand corrected. However, in contemporary reporting around the war years, the term "UK" was never used. GB was much more common as a vernacular form. "Great Britain" is not the name of anything except a geographilcal feature, an island, which would be unchangeable regardless of political winds.

Technically, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are "Countries" which have formed a union of convenience. However, they are not, and have not sought to be, internationally recognized as nations. .

Old 04-24-2009, 05:22 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
I'm not going to judge Canada's decision to enter the war, as it's not my place. I will simply reiterate, Hitler had no ability to conquer North America, and he had no particular capacity to do so. He only made war even on the British because of the Brits' stupid war guarantee to Poland, which they knew they couldn't enforce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates