U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-11-2009, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Michigan
12,715 posts, read 11,191,291 times
Reputation: 4103

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpotater58 View Post
The Germans posed a far greater threat to us than the Mexican illegals, had they defeated England-we would have been next since they were aligned with the Japanese. If you know your history, then you know Germany declared war on us first following our declaration of war against Japan after Pearl Harbor.
The fact that Japan and Germany were aligned against the U.S. is attributable to our own choices and decisions as well as theirs. There was no immutable reason it had to be that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-11-2009, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
5,915 posts, read 7,084,905 times
Reputation: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
How many did they sink before December 11, 1941?
Over 100 ship sunk or damaged prior to 1942.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2009, 03:47 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
5,915 posts, read 7,084,905 times
Reputation: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
The fact that Japan and Germany were aligned against the U.S. is attributable to our own choices and decisions as well as theirs. There was no immutable reason it had to be that way.
Of course you're right. We could have just acquiesced while the fascists took over the rest of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2009, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Reputation: 35864
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Becasue we built more escorts ships (war remember), improved our tactics, increase our shipping via terrestrial means (piplining of oil), and sank most of their submarines. They didn't stop voluntarily, we stopped them.

Which had nothing to do with the war in Europe. We'd have faced exactly the same defensive task had we not gone into the European Theater, and in fact would have had a great deal more resources to assign to the project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2009, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Michigan
12,715 posts, read 11,191,291 times
Reputation: 4103
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Of course you're right. We could have just acquiesced while the fascists took over the rest of the world.
LOL, you should write for Hollywood. Take over the world, my foot--Communism was closer to taking over the world circa 1975 than fascism ever was, and look how they ended up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2009, 04:13 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
5,915 posts, read 7,084,905 times
Reputation: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
LOL, you should write for Hollywood. Take over the world, my foot--Communism was closer to taking over the world circa 1975 than fascism ever was, and look how they ended up.
Communism collapsed because it is a flawed economic system. Fascism had no such underlying flaw. Until we got into the war nobody even slowed the Germans or the Japanese down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2009, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
5,915 posts, read 7,084,905 times
Reputation: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Which had nothing to do with the war in Europe. We'd have faced exactly the same defensive task had we not gone into the European Theater, and in fact would have had a great deal more resources to assign to the project.
Complete fabrication of facts, conclusions and results. Unsubstantiated with even a single fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2009, 04:25 PM
 
Location: Michigan
12,715 posts, read 11,191,291 times
Reputation: 4103
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Communism collapsed because it is a flawed economic system. Fascism had no such underlying flaw. Until we got into the war nobody even slowed the Germans or the Japanese down.
They are both bureaucratically collectivized, centralized economic systems. Hitler's didn't have time to fail, the USSR's did. Moreover, eventually someone probably would been successful in assassinating the Fuehrer. Even if they hadn't, he'd be long dead now anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2009, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
5,915 posts, read 7,084,905 times
Reputation: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
They are both bureaucratically collectivized, centralized economic systems. Hitler's didn't have time to fail, the USSR's did. Moreover, eventually someone probably would been successful in assassinating the Fuehrer. Even if they hadn't, he'd be long dead now anyway.
Dodge, dissemble, weave, bob -- how about a factual basis for an argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2009, 05:24 PM
 
Location: DFW - Coppell / Las Colinas
29,920 posts, read 34,526,470 times
Reputation: 35918
Too bad this thread went from good reading of personal opinion of history to attacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top