Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 08:15 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
I said its not illegal unless you try to get married. Nothing I noticed in your link suggested it was a crime to live with two or more women.
It's a crime to "purport to be married" to two or more women.

TX's law as an example.... http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/PE/content/htm/pe.006.00.000025.00.htm (broken link)

Most other states have similar laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 08:39 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Polygamy is actually a CRIME (the law not only says you can be legally married to just one person; it also says that purporting to be married to more than one person is a felony in most states). So yes, as of now, there is authority to intrude.
Until you and your crowd take over, this is still lthe USA, where nobody has the authority to go prowling around everybody's houses to see who is sleeping with whom. Yes, the law does restrict multiple spouses, and as I said, the incidence of polygamy as a formal civil institution is virtually zero. But, as you would recall if you were paying attention, my comment was in response to a poster that said there is a significant amount of non-cult people who are "into" of the concept of polygamy. Whether or not it is legal is of importance only to those who believe there is an absolute and immutable correlation between good and legal.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Until you and your crowd take over, this is still lthe USA, where nobody has the authority to go prowling around everybody's houses to see who is sleeping with whom. Yes, the law does restrict multiple spouses, and as I said, the incidence of polygamy as a formal civil institution is virtually zero. But, as you would recall if you were paying attention, my comment was in response to a poster that said there is a significant amount of non-cult people who are "into" of the concept of polygamy. Whether or not it is legal is of importance only to those who believe there is an absolute and immutable correlation between good and legal.
I'm not one of those people...but we do need to have certain rules that we all have to abide by.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:07 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
A startlingly high proportion of people are probably technically polygamous right now, but marriage records are too fragmented to find out how many "married" men are still legally married to somebody else. This is often not found out until the man dies and two wives show up at the social security office (as happened recently to a friend of mine).
And how did that work out?
So if the union is one man, 3 women are the women contracted in civil union to only the man or also to eachother. The only problem with legal polygamy (civil union) is when one or more parties want out. How will seperation of assesets, custody and child support be handled. What about SS benefits? Are they split between survivors?
It is complicated enough between two individuals, It would be interesting to see how a multiple civil union would be handled in divorce.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:22 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
I often wonder how much of an issue this would be in the USA if everyone in the country had healthcare coverage no matter whether they worked or were married. Of course there would still be the next-of-kin decision-making and la de da.

jtur88: Until very recently it was illegal in most states to engage in homosexual acts and to marry outside your race. Which gave the police every right to barge in and find out who you were sleeping with. And of course less formal outfits like the KKK took it upon themselves to make both of those personal decisions into hanging offenses.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:35 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Rational argument for not allowing "consensual" adult incest?

I'll give you two...

1) the possibility of genetic defects or diseases being passed to or through any children conceived as a result of the incest

2) the complexity of family relationships making the true "consent" far more difficult

I know the difference between de-facto and de-jure, but family relationships are not civil unions. Are there certain laws that apply to family relationships (medical decisions and inheritance)? Yes. But it's not a civil union.
Not all cultures have found incest abnormal or shunned it but those who routienly practiced it showed the results. Egyptian royalty commonly involved marriages to uncles, fathers marrying daughters and siblings marrying. Within their culture it had its purpose but it promoted cronic diseases and visible signs. The elongated heads in later representations of the pharows were taken from life. It occured because of generations of inbreedeing.

This is almost extictual for some. Tribal cultures commonly encouraged marriage outside the tribal family. Where incest is prohibited it is generally looked on not only as bad but unthinkable.

In legal terms though while marriage is prohibited it is not illegal for an adult child to have sexual relations with a parent. But it is the result of grooming in the past if it was fufilled or not before adulthood, which is crippling to the family and child. Which is why it will forever be illegal to marry in an incestuors relationship in this culture.

I believe we ought to allow same sex marriage and possibly even multiple ones. But I also believe that ALL marriages as we see them now should be defined as civil unions with the rights of a marriage. They should be dissolveable as civil unions.

If a couple wishes to sanctify a marriage, the civil union is recognized by a church or faith, but that should not make it any more or less legal. If a church will not marry a same sex couple it is fine, because it deals exclusively in marriage as a religious idea. If another one is then it is also fine. Most of the opponets of non-traditional marriage are based not in legal terms but in the religious. So they may withhold a status of married to some but grant everyone the same right and responsibilities in a legal relationship.

Those who choose could marry without the civil union as well and be considered in terms of committment to be married.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Not all cultures have found incest abnormal or shunned it but those who routienly practiced it showed the results. Egyptian royalty commonly involved marriages to uncles, fathers marrying daughters and siblings marrying. Within their culture it had its purpose but it promoted cronic diseases and visible signs. The elongated heads in later representations of the pharows were taken from life. It occured because of generations of inbreedeing.

This is almost extictual for some. Tribal cultures commonly encouraged marriage outside the tribal family. Where incest is prohibited it is generally looked on not only as bad but unthinkable.

In legal terms though while marriage is prohibited it is not illegal for an adult child to have sexual relations with a parent. But it is the result of grooming in the past if it was fufilled or not before adulthood, which is crippling to the family and child. Which is why it will forever be illegal to marry in an incestuors relationship in this culture.

I believe we ought to allow same sex marriage and possibly even multiple ones. But I also believe that ALL marriages as we see them now should be defined as civil unions with the rights of a marriage. They should be dissolveable as civil unions.

If a couple wishes to sanctify a marriage, the civil union is recognized by a church or faith, but that should not make it any more or less legal. If a church will not marry a same sex couple it is fine, because it deals exclusively in marriage as a religious idea. If another one is then it is also fine. Most of the opponets of non-traditional marriage are based not in legal terms but in the religious. So they may withhold a status of married to some but grant everyone the same right and responsibilities in a legal relationship.

Those who choose could marry without the civil union as well and be considered in terms of committment to be married.
Thanks for your thoughts.

As to the part of your post I bolded, the sexual act is an actual crime in 48 out of 50 states.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:20 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
I am aware that there are no statistics available. Considering the question was should it be legal? Your not going to find information if you continue to look only at that specific cult. You have to go out and look further. That would be polyamory. Oddly enough, they don't attempt to marry because that is illegal. However, if you know those who are into it, and ask them if they would do so if it was legal you will find that yes, there are those who will.

Therefore, yes, it should be legal.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:11 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post

jtur88: Until very recently it was illegal in most states to engage in homosexual acts and to marry outside your race. Which gave the police every right to barge in and find out who you were sleeping with. And of course less formal outfits like the KKK took it upon themselves to make both of those personal decisions into hanging offenses.
Yes it gave the police the legal right, because legality is rather fluid. But was it ever a moral right?

Today, if the police have "probable cause" to suspect that you and your sister are doing something sexual in the privacy of the home, is it a fundamental principle of our society that there is a moral justification and a clear and compelling need to send in a Swat team to "catch you in the act" and shoot you down if you attempt to resist an officer and flee from justice, and thus have grounds for a criminal prosecution? After all, you two would be criminals, wouldn't you? And society's interests are served by incarcerating criminals for long sentences at hard labor.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yes it gave the police the legal right, because legality is rather fluid. But was it ever a moral right?

Today, if the police have "probable cause" to suspect that you and your sister are doing something sexual in the privacy of the home, is it a fundamental principle of our society that there is a moral justification and a clear and compelling need to send in a Swat team to "catch you in the act" and thus have grounds for a criminal prosecution? After all, you two would be criminals, wouldn't you? And society's interests are served by incarcerating criminals for long sentences at hard labor.
They cannot enter a private home based on probable cause. They would have to get a warrant first.

Also...most criminals are given probation...statistically far more than the number who are incarcerated. I'd hardly call prison "hard labor" either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates