U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 09:13 AM

15,527 posts, read 29,233,815 times

Advertisements

Anyone who knows me knows that I am not a drug user, by any means. I rarely even take asprin or prescribed medication. In the past, growing up, I have had boyfrieds who used drugs (pot mainly), and was never attracted nor involved in that scene in any way.

Today, though. For the first time in my life, I understood why people take drugs.

Lately, I have been working very hard. I am spending about 70 hours per week at work and during that time, there are periods of absolutely nothing to do (like right this moment, for example), interspersed with insanity. The stress level is astronomical. Needless to say, I am more tired now than I can ever remember being before in my entire life. I go home, eat dinner and go to bed. That is my life. Yesterday I had a rare day off, and today I am exhausted. All I did yesterday was "hang around" and my dh had a barbeque last night and even did the dishes.

So this morning, the last thing in the world I wanted to do was get out of bed. It was warm, snuggly and very comfortable. I was having some wild dream about being on a tropical island. When that alarm went off, I was very unhappy. Stumbled out to the kitchen for my morning "wake up" mug of coffee.

At that moment in time, if you would have said to me.... "Here is a pill that will make you feel good". I would have taken it. I would have taken it in a heartbeat. I was so tired and so miserable and so unhappy that I would have GLADLY done anything to make it better.

Like I said, I am no drug user. And even as tired and miserable as I feel right this moment, I would turn down something if you offered it to me. But this morning was a different story. So today I have a little different perspective about people who use drugs.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 10:36 AM

6,940 posts, read 8,875,359 times
The major reason people take the stuff is to feel better. Or perform better. It's really a VERY fine line between a little life enhancement and addiction. Look how your favorite musicians and whatever went downhill after they stopped snorting and shooting. I don't mean Sid Vicious, whose bandmates renamed him "fncking useless" after he started shooting up heroin. I mean more like David Bowie going from fun and interesting to a mediocre nobody without his blow. It really can make a person more creative, or at least have more energy to work with.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:49 AM

2,751 posts, read 4,710,125 times
I think the most common reason why people take drugs is for "kicks", to kill the dirty monotony, just like booze. But once you get addicted, if you do, to any drug, alcohol included, you use, you drink to fill the void you've created by using/drinking in the first place. Let nobody kid themselves that alcohol is not a drug. It is in fact, one of the hardest on the body.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:56 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Peer pressure. If you fall in with a group of associates who take drugs, there will be pressure on you to do so as well. Very few people started using recreational drugs in social isolation with the objective of getting high all by themselves.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:31 PM

15,194 posts, read 17,686,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Anyone who knows me knows that I am not a drug user, by any means.
Stumbled out to the kitchen for my morning "wake up" mug of coffee.
Caffeine is a powerful and addictive stimulant.

As for the subject of people taking "hard" or "illicit" drugs, there are almost as many reasons for that as there are people using. Some can be lumped into the groups already mentioned, but ultimately everyone has their own reasons.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:50 PM

7,091 posts, read 10,487,344 times
Everyone uses for their own reasons, but I think it really gets down to using it as a crutch for many people to cope (either with past abuse, bad decisions, unhappiness with ones life).

Old 04-09-2009, 02:35 PM

11,425 posts, read 16,659,834 times
I quite a few people who take drugs, from smoking weed to popping pills, they all have their own set of problems, I guess we all deal with those problems in differant ways.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:37 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,321,597 times
I have used pot/shrooms (should be 100% legal) recreationally but used them to enhance an already good mood. Now people who use drugs on chronic basis including alcohol often have self esteem issues. I have known people who will take anything at anytime just not to be sober. Its their only escape from reality which must be a miserable place for many of them. I think we have all had times in our life we "understood" but its usually just a fleeting moment.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:04 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Some people have "addictive personalities" and some don't. Such a person is bound to be addicted to something---drugs, alcohol, gambling, fast cars, loose women, guns, the internet. Some people, on the other hand, go through their life with exposure to some or all of the above, without getting addicted to anything.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:36 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,023,684 times
Sounds like you work to many hours and don't have enough free time. I used to work 12 to 14 hrs a day, Mon thru Fri and 4 to 6 hr each on sat and sun and a few on vacation days. I did this for 3 yrs but was single and going to buy a house. It really burned me out and I never did that again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates