U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 04:01 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
iran is almost all desert and cannot sustain a huge population ..when there oil runs out they will be doomed.. earth has alot of land thats uninhabitible it's all the other resources that are going to start running out it's already happening.. if you have 200 thousand square miles of land but no water what good is it.
Your argument assumes that humanity will revert back to agrarian, so arable land and water are the only factors that will deem an area inhabitable. What makes you think that regression will take place?

Is it not more likely that the future centers of population will be based on whatever resources are the foundation of future society and economy? How do you know those will not be in Iran?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 04:25 PM

2,466 posts, read 4,201,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
My nose stopped running, but I've been pooping for four days now.
I bet there is a pill that will help that problem. Course it may cause you to have a rash so that would mean you need another pill for that and that pill will cause you to have liver failure so you'll need a pill for that and so on and so on....etc.

Just don't take the pill that will cause you to have an errect!on for 48 hrs. or we'll be back to square one in overpopulating the world.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:55 PM

8,581 posts, read 8,923,251 times
Quote:
the earth is 197 million square miles in total surface area with 57 million square miles of land... 133 million square miles of ocean....and 6.6 billion humans... you do the math!!

we are running out of rooms.
And you base that on what? The required area per person? What is the optimum amount of space per person? The amount of land is finite on earth, so according to you're premise, there is a fixed number of people that it can sustain, what is it?

Old 04-10-2009, 05:08 PM

13,624 posts, read 10,695,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
And you base that on what? The required area per person? What is the optimum amount of space per person? The amount of land is finite on earth, so according to you're premise, there is a fixed number of people that it can sustain, what is it?
11 billion is where i think the death rate will equal the birth rate we are raping the planet bare i'm glad i won't be around in 50 years. the worlds population has doubled in 40 years. do you think we can keep going with those numbers not for long unless long is 50 years or so.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
11 billion is where i think the death rate will equal the birth rate we are raping the planet bare i'm glad i won't be around in 50 years. the worlds population has doubled in 40 years. do you think we can keep going with those numbers not for long unless long is 50 years or so.
What exactly does "raping the planet bare" mean? be specific please.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:14 PM

5,230 posts, read 7,318,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Your argument assumes that humanity will revert back to agrarian, so arable land and water are the only factors that will deem an area inhabitable. What makes you think that regression will take place?

Is it not more likely that the future centers of population will be based on whatever resources are the foundation of future society and economy? How do you know those will not be in Iran?
You assume economy & society are more important than sustenance.

The fact is that we were overpopulated from an ecological standpoint when we needed to start farming & raising livestock.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:16 PM

5,230 posts, read 7,318,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If you're talking about Human Beings, the world is overpopulated if the population is 1. The faster the population grows, the quicker it will revert back to 0, the ideal.

How have humans made the world a better place than it was before there were humans?

We havent. All we have managed to do is pollute & destroy the world in our zeal to be comfy cozy at any cost.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:32 PM

I am always amused at these alarmist "overpopulation threads". I have not seen anyone yet that has said that (they) are willing to "take one for the planet". That would be someone who really believes in this nonsense!

Old 04-10-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
What exactly does "raping the planet bare" mean? be specific please.
well look at china india haiti that's raping the planet!!! haiti has raped there half of the island in which they live bare....9 million people living on 10 thousand square miles with only 1%of there forest remaining thats where the world is heading.. go to you tube and watch some documentaries on poverty and overpopulation it's free... all the info you need is on the internet...the seas are being raped -the land is being raped- the rivers are being raped -the air is being raped- the forest are being raped -the animals are being raped -what more do i have to say.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:42 PM

[quote=silas777;8285812]I am always amused at these alarmist "overpopulation threads". I have not seen anyone yet that has said that (they) are willing to "take one for the planet". That would be someone who really believes in this nonsense![/quote

so how many people do you think this planet can sustain and for how long!!! there's a limit to everything. the earth is a finite resourse. and don't give me that crap that we will be living in space our civilazations will crumble way before we solve all the comlex problems associated with living in space. you beleave what you wan't to beleave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates