Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 07:53 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,668,659 times

Advertisements

Why is it so difficult to convince our elected representatives to bear true witness to our own laws, simply for the sake of morals and that form of moral absolutism?

Old 09-18-2012, 08:53 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,229,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

The turning point in America came when fathers began to look at their babies, and doubted the prospects for a rosy future for their children. I believe that time came during the Vietnam war. when the US started waging wars against poor people, instead of against poverty. There was the big morality issue.
Actually, LBJ decided to wage both wars (Vietnam and poverty) simultaneously. Guns AND butter. With no increase in taxation to pay for any of it. THAT was the turning point. Our country has subsisted on little more than bluster abroad and bribery at home ever since...

Old 09-18-2012, 11:22 PM

In my opinion, the wealthiest should be paying wartime Tax rates, even for a War on Drugs.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:12 PM

638 posts, read 1,590,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphKNS View Post
It's been like that the whole time--this isn't new.

People are often unethical, selfish, and a big pain in the ass. Not everyone is like this (at least not all the time), but it's a good thing to keep in mind.
It may not be new, but if you look back in history, those negative traits weren't generally common traits of the majority of society until just the last half century or so. History in the past changed in gradual moments of time over centuries. In our times, it appears to be changing more rapidly in decades, rather than centuries.

One of the criteria of the beginning of the "end of times" (of our man-made system of governing) are people having little love for one another (Matt 24.. verse 12). Love (as described in 1 Cor: 13) as being "long-suffering and kind, not jealous, doesn't brag or get puffed up with pride; doesn't behave indecently; doesn't look for it's own self-interest; doesn't become prevoked; doesn't keep account of injuries; doesn't rejoice over unrighteous things.."

How many people in today's world fit into that description? Including myself, very few I know. I think it's something to consider whether you believe in biblical revelations or not.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:02 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,873,336 times
First post of this thread so i haven't read all 21 pages, but I agree that lack of morals are destroying out country and fast.

People have no values, no goals,some just want to go through life doing nothing, not caring how others see them.

Saggy pants'
pregnant teens
etc

It's actually becoming barbaric.

Society today shuts me up in the house for the most part, I rather go on when needed or go out on occasion, then go out to take a drive through town since town has become a ignorant ,rude and uncivic place.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:14 PM

I just wish it were easier to convince our elected representatives to be moral enough to bear true witness to our own laws. Simply to fix that Standard of role model for the community.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:04 PM

638 posts, read 1,590,259 times
In this response to SC Granny:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think, then, that you do not understand the meaning of the word "morals". Let's take it as a given that you and I are fundamentally moral people, and we can have a discussion as follows: Do we need to consider the consequences of our actions? What are the things that you feel inclined to do, and that you think are the right thing to do, that you do NOT do because of your fear of the consequences? Do you want to steal the property of other people, but you refrain from doing so because there are consequences? If you do, then I propose that you are not guided by morals, but instead are hounded to obedience to arbitrary laws that are imposed by authoritarian figures.

Only those who lack morals fear the consequences, which must be imposed exactly because so many people lack morals.

Is this a typo? Don't you mean "only those with morals fear the consequences"? Generally the ones without morals don't seem to care what the consequences might be.

I think SC Granny made a good point about lack of consequences to actions being a large part of the downfall in morals. When children aren't held accountable for their actions, they have little respect for authority; and as grown-up's, feel the same way.. as if they are entitled to whatever they please.

It's not about being "hounded to obedience imposed by authoritarian figures".. It's about learning right from wrong. Hopefully, by adulthood, you'll become a morally balanced person if you've learned that your actions have consequences.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:15 PM

132 posts, read 175,274 times
We're definitely at a low point and it's only going to get worse. Many people seem to genuinely not care about anyone else outside of their circles of friends or family. There's virtually no sense of community anymore and if you're on your own like I am, you may well be better off living in the country away from the madness, as cities are becoming cesspools of human garbage, feeding on awful foods, watching garbage television and driving like *******s. Manners seldom exist anymore, which is why I am caught off guard when someone holds a door open or says "thank you" or "excuse me". Technology has also made the problem worse as it has made people even less inclined to give a damn about communicating with others.

I tend to think that I'd rather be truly alone than lonely in a city surrounded by people these days. Unless you have that circle of friends, you're basically screwed.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:01 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,837,400 times
Morkradd: Excellent post. Its gotten so bad that the clerks in the store often don't even say "thank you" any more.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:26 PM

3,494 posts, read 4,653,313 times
Yes, Nietzsche, god is dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates