U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 09:46 PM

2,083 posts, read 2,012,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Why am I not surprised to find yet another conservative idealize the 1950s? I'm sorry, but you remember the 1950s as pure and good simply because you were young at the time to know what was really going on.

Sex was NOT confined to marriage in the 1950s, nor in any other decade. It was simply that women who became pregnant out of wedlock were shunned, shamed and driven from "respectable" communities. Abortion was rife; it was simply unsafe and unlawful. Racial segregation was legal. Domestic violence, ranging from physical beatings to child molestation, was kept behind closed doors and made invisible. The 1950s had the highest high school dropout rate of any decades since the end of WWII. It is just that the availability of good-paying factory jobs during that decade made the consequences of dropping out less serious back then.

The list goes on and on. You're making my point exactly. You've idealized a past that never existed.
Thank you!

Old 12-01-2012, 09:53 PM

2,083 posts, read 2,012,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane55us View Post
It may not be new, but if you look back in history, those negative traits weren't generally common traits of the majority of society until just the last half century or so. History in the past changed in gradual moments of time over centuries. In our times, it appears to be changing more rapidly in decades, rather than centuries.

One of the criteria of the beginning of the "end of times" (of our man-made system of governing) are people having little love for one another (Matt 24.. verse 12). Love (as described in 1 Cor: 13) as being "long-suffering and kind, not jealous, doesn't brag or get puffed up with pride; doesn't behave indecently; doesn't look for it's own self-interest; doesn't become prevoked; doesn't keep account of injuries; doesn't rejoice over unrighteous things.."

How many people in today's world fit into that description? Including myself, very few I know. I think it's something to consider whether you believe in biblical revelations or not.
You really should study history a bit more. Seriously. Mankind has been barbaric since the beginning. There are simply more people now and because of technology we know everything going on everywhere so it only seems worse. And in the 1950s things were simply hushed up - but they still happened.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:46 AM

587 posts, read 895,559 times
So what are you saying? I'm not interested in silly arguments [poorly] proposed by people who should probably go and talk with a reputable adult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates