Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 05:33 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Is the lack of morals that seems to be so present in today's world destroying our society?

I'm NOT talking about religion. I'm talking about general morals. Things like people helping each other out, people taking responsibility and being held accountable for THEIR own actions, etc. There seems to be a flood of people who don't seem to care about anyone but themselves and who absolutely refuse to accept consequences for their own behavior. How is this affecting society? What will be the effects if the trend continues?

Curious as to everyone's thoughts....
My thoughts................ yet another problem with society or personal responsibility thread. Not any different from any other thread.

The only thing that has changed in society is technology. There is no time period in history that did not have someone crying for yesteryear. There was no time period in history that did not have lying, conniving, lack of respect for another individual and somebody screaming about personal responsibility and somebody else flipping 'em the bird.

I was peeved the first time I heard children call grown women Miss Katie, Miss July, or Mr. Jack if male. I thought that was a hideous joke sponsered by the PTO or some twit in day care who desired an informal formality. I don't think that it will be the downfall of society.

The down fall of society will be collective amnesia of the thousands of years of prior societies.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:34 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Christianity teaches that if you have two coats, you must give one away to someone who has none.
Christianity has absolute no interest whatsoever in Morality. Christianity codifies well-known enduring principles of morality to magnify its own self-serving importance. Christianity stole all the gold on the South American continent, and replaced it with the morality of genocide.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:37 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,543,680 times
[quote=leaana;8296747]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko75 View Post

Oh yeah, it's so much more responsible (yeah right!) and easier for parents to just beat the crap out of their kids like they did in the past.
Do you always think in extremes and ridicule those you don't agree with?

You don't have to beat your child to a bloody pulp to get your message across. And there are other ways to make a child aware of consequence. It it literally against the law to spank your child. Grab them forcefully in public and some idiot is bound to call the cops on you..

Quote:
Trying to be your child's friend is the best way to teach them real respect, self-respect and not a vague sense of being a prisoner or slave to society and whoever uses the iron hand.
The concept of being your child's friend lends to establishing and encouraging open communication, relating to them on a healthy level and cultivating a level of trust so they can come to you with challenging and potentially harmful life choices. It takes a good balance of befriending and parenting for it to work. Being their friend is not going to guarantee that they won't need discipline, that is where the parent comes in and there had better be stronger consequences than what today's devolving society is imposing on these kids. The word "imposing" barely even applies. That implies something negative. Kids are being rewarded for their bad behavior.

Quote:
What i mean is, though you certainly are right about these things too, you are not seeing or acknowledging what was equally wrong and irresponsible in the past. So this 'everything was good and right in the good ol' day' is a fraud.
I never said "everything was good and right in the good ol' day", not even close to it. We are not addressing what was wrong and irresponsible in the past. We are discussing the increasing lack of morals today. Morals, obedience, however people want to pick it apart, it all starts at home.

You have women with a revolving door policy in front of their kids and wonder why their daughters are getting pregnant at 13.

Parents smoking pot with their kids - how's THAT for being their best friend? I knew a guy who made the mistake of telling his daughter she could smoke pot in the house. His reasoning; he would rather her do it at home than do it behind his back. She was hooked on heroin 6 months later. The idea of making it UNACCEPTABLE never crossed his mind.

Yeah, there were crappy people back then, there always will be. The quality of parenting back then was 10 times what it is now, IMO.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:01 PM

814 posts, read 2,306,801 times
[quote=PassTheChocolate;8299604]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post

Do you always think in extremes and ridicule those you don't agree with?

You don't have to beat your child to a bloody pulp to get your message across. And there are other ways to make a child aware of consequence. It it literally against the law to spank your child. Grab them forcefully in public and some idiot is bound to call the cops on you..

The concept of being your child's friend lends to establishing and encouraging open communication, relating to them on a healthy level and cultivating a level of trust so they can come to you with challenging and potentially harmful life choices. It takes a good balance of befriending and parenting for it to work. Being their friend is not going to guarantee that they won't need discipline, that is where the parent comes in and there had better be stronger consequences than what today's devolving society is imposing on these kids. The word "imposing" barely even applies. That implies something negative. Kids are being rewarded for their bad behavior.

I never said "everything was good and right in the good ol' day", not even close to it. We are not addressing what was wrong and irresponsible in the past. We are discussing the increasing lack of morals today. Morals, obedience, however people want to pick it apart, it all starts at home.

You have women with a revolving door policy in front of their kids and wonder why their daughters are getting pregnant at 13.

Parents smoking pot with their kids - how's THAT for being their best friend? I knew a guy who made the mistake of telling his daughter she could smoke pot in the house. His reasoning; he would rather her do it at home than do it behind his back. She was hooked on heroin 6 months later. The idea of making it UNACCEPTABLE never crossed his mind.

Yeah, there were crappy people back then, there always will be. The quality of parenting back then was 10 times what it is now, IMO.
Give me a break! You basically reiterated most of what i said and just expounded on it while i was being quick and to the point.

Your bolded part is ridiculous and you are assuming a lot! There are GOOD PARENTS TODAY as well honey! Just as there are bad parents. The only reason you come up with this idea of yours is it's a convenient cliche!

To say it was TEN times better, you are being downright unfair and yet you post like you are being honest! LOL

I don't think child forced labor, child abuse, children having no rights etc was better. it was only recently society evolved to a saner awareness for human life and respect for it! Yes, there are problems now but you are equally blowing it out of proportion. It seems to me that if society were the opposite and children were suffering more in silence and it was out of sight and out of mind but you were mostly unaffected, you would give society a thumbs up! no blaring music and kids know there place, out of sight. isn't that a past phrase, i wonder where that came from? your post is actually a joke!

For you to even take a position as an authority on a the parenting "back" then without realizing how different everyone's household was as well back then, is just downright stupid! This whole thread is a tired cliche. 'them kids don't have no respect, we did when we were young.' total lies. i know since i grew up with people twice or more my age and other extended relatives as well as friends, associates and i learned age barely has anything to do with maturity or respect. that is purely an individual choice and their character.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:09 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
It it literally against the law to spank your child. Grab them forcefully in public and some idiot is bound to call the cops on you.
It is not "literally against the law" to spank your child if you are anywhere in the United States. Whether someone calls a cop on you has nothing to do with anything. People call the cops for frivolous reasons all the time. When parents are actually jailed and prosecuted successfully, it's nearly always because they left marks, usually bruises. Now, I'm not 100% for prosecutions even when there is a bruise. But I know there's a difference between that and spanking being illegal.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:21 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Does anyone remember the days when people were FRIENDLY? When complete strangers would actually wave at you and say hello?

When children were actually respectful of their elders and would never think of calling one by their first name? When adults would even call other adults by "Mr./Mrs./Ms" and their last name if they didn't know them very well?

What happened to common courtesy and respect?

I'm not talking about the 50's either (I wasn't even alive then)...more like the 70's/80's. Things have changed significantly since then IMO.
I do not agree with you on some subjects, afoigrokerkok but for the most part I agree with you on this thread. I even repped you. Especially what you said here. I grew up in a small town where everyone knew each other. My mom was old fashioned and very religious and raised her six kids firmly. We did get spanked, or I should say my sister and brothers got spanked, but not beat, except from their dad, my stepfather. I was a smart kid and only got spanked once for hitting my brother, but he got it worse for provoking me. I got it for losing control. My mom taught us about being honest, respecting ones elders and the best was to do onto others as you would want them to do to you. My mom was old world portuguese with only 4 years of schooling, but I remember her being very smart and reading all the time. Well, anyway, I moved away from that small town that is now over 100,000 and growing and found a nice small town of 17,000 in northern California where complete strangers say hello. I am block captain for my neighborhoods watch group and I have been able to get 25 or more neighbors together for meetings and we actually get things resolved. This is a very friendly town and no matter where you are in town, people are friendly. We even still have a Pony Express parade through the center of town and a holloween parade of kids stopping in the store for their treats.

There are two local Jehovah witness members that canvas my neighborhood and we chat, even though I am not religious. I asked them one day what their interpretation of "spare the rod, spoil the child" was. They actually thought it meant that if you do not beat your child, that they will misbehave. I suggested to them that if one used the definition of rod, as in a measure of rule used by the Egyptians to measure distance, then sparing the rod means sparing judgement or measure of a child. Spanking indiscriminately is abuse, dolling out punishment equal to the misdeed a child commits is teaching them about the consequences of their behavior. I sometimes drive my neighbors teen age daughter to school when she misses her bus, and she does not seem to understand about being responsible for her behavior or even care. At least she knows that she can call me if she is in trouble and cannot get ahold of her parents. Her mom and step dad are happy about that, because I am apparently the only adult that she will talk with. She is quite smart, just spoiled rotten.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:27 PM

814 posts, read 2,306,801 times
and there were spoiled rotten kids back then too.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
Your bolded part is ridiculous and you are assuming a lot!
LOL....you are the one with tunnel vision, distorting my words and exaggerating ad nauseum. If you notice, my postings were simply my opinion, based on my experiences.

Quote:
There are GOOD PARENTS TODAY as well honey! Just as there are bad parents. The only reason you come up with this idea of yours is it's a convenient cliche!
Convinient for what? What is my goal, exactly, since you have all the answers?

Again, you're putting words in my mouth. There are good parents today, honey. I happen to be one of them.

Quote:
To say it was TEN times better, you are being downright unfair and yet you post like you are being honest! LOL
My bad, I am not a statistician, nor do I play one on TV. 5 times? 20 times? You pick a number, genius, since this is your show. Parenting is not what it used to be, period. My opinion. No one said you have to agree. I am not here to convince you of anything.

Quote:
I don't think child forced labor, child abuse, children having no rights etc was better. it was only recently society evolved to a saner awareness for human life and respect for it!
LOL. Okay.

Quote:
Yes, there are problems now but you are equally blowing it out of proportion. It seems to me that if society were the opposite and children were suffering more in silence and it was out of sight and out of mind but you were mostly unaffected, you would give society a thumbs up!
If I was unaffected, and it was out of sight and out of mind, it would stand to reason that my perception of society would likely be a good one. I'd have no knowledge of it. But if you are implying that I would know this was going on and I'd be happy with it, well, that is something you'd have to find truth in to make it valid. So far, you know squat.

The fact that kids have no respect for authority these days is not blowing things out of proportion, it is a reality. I'd love directions to your Utopia, must be a very pretty place.

Quote:
no blaring music and kids know there place, out of sight. isn't that a past phrase, i wonder where that came from? your post is actually a joke!
I'm glad I could make you laugh. I aims to please.

Quote:
For you to even take a position as an authority on a the parenting "back" then without realizing how different everyone's household was as well back then, is just downright stupid!
Exactly what makes one an authority? I'm curious, since you seem to know it all.

I never said all households were the same, but you're stuck on twisting my words into a pretzel. Newsflash, that is not the logic of "authority" or intelligence, for that matter.

Quote:
This whole thread is a tired cliche. 'them kids don't have no respect, we did when we were young.' total lies.
Not where I come from. And there are plenty of others who can read what I have written and actually get it. It will not break my heart if you don't.

Quote:
i know since i grew up with people twice or more my age and other extended relatives as well as friends, associates and i learned age barely has anything to do with maturity or respect. that is purely an individual choice and their character.
Where did the topic of age having to do with maturity and respect come in? Are you dizzy yet?

And how do you think some of us came to the conclusion that parenting is NOT what it was? Or did you think we all grew up alone, without parents, and extended family, and friends and exposure to other types of parenting?

By the way, just a little nibble of wisdom, all that I bolded, is precisely the mentality that makes kids, these days and "back in the day", undesirable.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
It is not "literally against the law" to spank your child if you are anywhere in the United States. Whether someone calls a cop on you has nothing to do with anything. People call the cops for frivolous reasons all the time. When parents are actually jailed and prosecuted successfully, it's nearly always because they left marks, usually bruises. Now, I'm not 100% for prosecutions even when there is a bruise. But I know there's a difference between that and spanking being illegal.
So the term "spanking" isn't in the books. The law calls it battery? Child abuse? Whatver the term, the laws have made it so that striking your child is prosecutable, even in cases where it is meant only to discipline. Am I in the ball park, or am I missing something?

Old 04-11-2009, 08:29 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
So the term "spanking" isn't in the books. The law calls it battery? Child abuse? Whatver the term, the laws have made it so that striking your child is prosecutable, even in cases where it is meant only to discipline. Am I in the ball park, or am I missing something?
Nope. There are exceptions to assault and child abuse laws in every state, as far as I know, for spanking. There have been bills in some state legislatures to ban it. I don't think any have passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates