U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 10:21 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,326,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
They still do that. They are very into that in this area.

If it makes people feel better about themselves, get over themselves, etc. I don't care. As long as they stay out of my bedroom and my politics and my job and very, very, far away from my child, I don't care.
Thats why its funny. They actually think it makes them good ppl. How about just scrapping the whole idea of being catholic/christian. To me that makes much more sense then being a half a**ed version of one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 12:45 AM

10,236 posts, read 13,551,351 times
CleanCutHippie, I have enjoyed a lot of your posts, but the mean-spirited contents of this one really reeks of a problem. Yes, there are phonies in religions but I have also met some mighty plastic phony people who are NOT religious, up to and including liberals. Really, this post makes you look like a troll, and I hope to Hell that wasn't your intention.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:09 AM

9,912 posts, read 12,201,332 times
Ok, so I live in a fairly secular society and I'm athiest so perhaps this makes my perspective somewhat different.

I can understand getting frustrated with people of a particular religious group if their ideals are being forced down your throat or are in your face day in, day out. And I can quite imagine that if you are constantly in contact with people who hold different political and religious ideologies to yourself you will find yourself scrutinizing their behaviours and lifestyles and find them coming up short. However it's not so difficult to change your focus and worry about your own life and not be overly concerned about the religious practices of other people. Whilst I understand your frustrations I don't think it's fair to tar all people with the same brush.

Hypocrits exist everywhere, either with religious faith or not.

Easter is an important time in the calendar for many people of faith and I respect their right to participate in the rituals and ceremonies of their belief as they see fit as long as it doesn't unfavourably impact on my life. Whether someone eats fish on Fridays or only eats red food on Wednesdays FOR WHATEVER REASON or motivation does NOT impact unfavourably on my life.
Also I have found it very interesting to share rituals and ceremonies with people of faith (as I have with those who have rituals and traditions and no faith) when I've been afforded the opportunity and I've been grateful for the opportunity. I must say it's been a lot easier to participate in Catholic ritual than many other religions (or non religious) rituals.

Personally I think it's ok that you felt the need to vent on this CleanCutHippie but I'm not sure that your delivery couldn't have been better worded because from where I'm sitting it just looks like "let he who is perfect, cast the first stone."

Old 04-13-2009, 01:19 AM

42 posts, read 80,248 times
I feel you. Religion is an "evil" of society but I am less irritated by fundamentalists who are at least consistent in their beliefs and actions. I generally don't take people seriously when they say they believe in a certain religion "but don't practice" it. Or those who say the <insert book of choice here> is holy yet they've never read all of its words. What is that?

Old 04-13-2009, 07:15 AM

3,566 posts, read 4,499,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Thats why its funny. They actually think it makes them good ppl. How about just scrapping the whole idea of being catholic/christian. To me that makes much more sense then being a half a**ed version of one.
It doesn't matter what they think.

Many years ago, I got into Wicca. I was involved in it during a time period that it evolved through a series of changes. When I first encountered it, it was very goddess orientated. The movement in the United States was very different because it hit during a period of time that women desperately needed to throw off the yokes of the church and a Patriarchal society. Then they decided to add a God, male element to appease. Then they became an organized religion.

I read everything that I could get my hands on. What I began to realize is that what I was reading was a watered down version of Crowley, who had a watered down version of Rabelaise. (This would be the Harm none phrase which stems from Do as thou wilt be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will). This more than likely was taken from someone else. But to say the words Crowley was anathema. I guarantee you that those I encountered did not even know who Rabelaise was.

Karma? Not in that manner. Completely different set up in the East where it comes from. People put Karma on their bumper stickers but have never taken the time to read it in its original intent. Now, its bandied about as a weapon. People pick and choose what they want to fill in the gaps.

I read Dion Fortune. She said that whatever you decide to do study all of it. This means that if you decide to study astrology then study astronomy as well. If you decide to work with a specific pantheon or religion or diety than study the origins of it and take into account the history, wars, and economic situation. Wiser words were never spoken.

Never again the burning times became a motto (in recent history). And there were people who were losing their children and their jobs and their homes for being associated with Wicca. A few were run out of towns. This is true. But the most often heard reasoning was that people were burned at the stake for practicing a pagan religion. This is so far off the mark, it isn't even funny.

The majority of the holidays are "pagan". Christmas is Saturnalia. The resurrection predates Christianity. In fact there were other very valid Christians who looked at that story and said.........um, but that isn't it at all. This is true. He with the most cash rises to the top. The Neoplatonic school of philosophy was collecting information of all known religions and looking for similarities. Everything that they had was stolen and incorporated and the school was shut down. This is true.

Angry? You bet. Over time, I began to realize that some people need religion like some people need the structure of the military or they cannot function. As long as they don't knock on my door, play in my politics, or come within 50 feet of my child, stand in my bedroom, or place themselves into my job.........I don't care.

Last edited by Pandamonium; 04-13-2009 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 04-13-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
CleanCutHippie, I have enjoyed a lot of your posts, but the mean-spirited contents of this one really reeks of a problem. Yes, there are phonies in religions but I have also met some mighty plastic phony people who are NOT religious, up to and including liberals. Really, this post makes you look like a troll, and I hope to Hell that wasn't your intention.
I don't consider venting being "mean spirited". So stating an opinion on a messege board makes someone a "troll" as you call it? I guess everyone on here is a "troll" then...lol.

I live in a highly Catholic area ao I vented about the ppl who I see daily. It makes NO SENSE to claim a religion and follow only one aspect of it, in fact its ridiculous.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingbear View Post
I feel you. Religion is an "evil" of society but I am less irritated by fundamentalists who are at least consistent in their beliefs and actions. I generally don't take people seriously when they say they believe in a certain religion "but don't practice" it. Or those who say the <insert book of choice here> is holy yet they've never read all of its words. What is that?
Exactly. That is the idea of my post!

Old 04-13-2009, 11:46 AM

[quote=moonshadow;8315901]Ok, so I live in a fairly secular society and I'm athiest so perhaps this makes my perspective somewhat different.

I can understand getting frustrated with people of a particular religious group if their ideals are being forced down your throat or are in your face day in, day out. And I can quite imagine that if you are constantly in contact with people who hold different political and religious ideologies to yourself you will find yourself scrutinizing their behaviours and lifestyles and find them coming up short. However it's not so difficult to change your focus and worry about your own life and not be overly concerned about the religious practices of other people. Whilst I understand your frustrations I don't think it's fair to tar all people with the same brush.

Hypocrits exist everywhere, either with religious faith or not.

Easter is an important time in the calendar for many people of faith and I respect their right to participate in the rituals and ceremonies of their belief as they see fit as long as it doesn't unfavourably impact on my life. Whether someone eats fish on Fridays or only eats red food on Wednesdays FOR WHATEVER REASON or motivation does NOT impact unfavourably on my life.
Also I have found it very interesting to share rituals and ceremonies with people of faith (as I have with those who have rituals and traditions and no faith) when I've been afforded the opportunity and I've been grateful for the opportunity. I must say it's been a lot easier to participate in Catholic ritual than many other religions (or non religious) rituals.

Personally I think it's ok that you felt the need to vent on this CleanCutHippie but I'm not sure that your delivery couldn't have been better worded because from where I'm sitting it just looks like "let he who is perfect, cast the first stone."[/quote]

No one should ever vent or give an opinion again then? No one should ever be critical of another because no one is perfect? We both know thats not realistic. There is nothing wrong or inaccurate about my post. Some ppl just took it the wrong way but my point is very clear.

Most of them probably have no idea why they are not eating meat. They are just doing it because they always did it. I think its very dangerous when as a society we don't question things and go along with the flow. This could translate into laws being passed and freedoms being lost all because they just believed everything they were told w/out ever questioning it. So while they seem harmless they represent a much bigger problem.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:02 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,551,351 times
Quote:
I don't consider venting being "mean spirited". So stating an opinion on a messege board makes someone a "troll" as you call it? I guess everyone on here is a "troll" then...lol.

I live in a highly Catholic area ao I vented about the ppl who I see daily. It makes NO SENSE to claim a religion and follow only one aspect of it, in fact its ridiculous.
I figured you either had to vent, or you just hate Catholics or church-goers (which I'm more inclined to believe). In that case, just call a spade a spade; it is what it is.

And you bet it's your right to vent. But as with everyone else on these forums ~ myself inluded ~ you take that chance with controversial posts like this one. And I don't think you "did" so bad with this one ~ you have as many supporters as critics.

This is still better than the Valley Girl-cutsey banterings I've seen carried on a lot of postings in c.d.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:03 PM

1,461 posts, read 4,107,300 times
Quote:
I am so relieved that Good Friday and all the Fridays leading up to Easter are gone. Every year I get so sick of all the phonies who won't eat meat on Fridays and think they are practicing Catholics...lmao. They cheat on their spouse, beat their kids, lie and steal but if they don't eat meat a few Fridays out of the ear they are good people. If you believe in a religion, follow it. I am so sick of these half a**ed Christians/Catholics. While I am not fond of the fundamentalists either at least they follow their religion more thouroughly!
Go have a double cheeseburger and CHILL!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates