Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 08:53 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times

Advertisements

I like the delivery. It is direct and he is right; it makes no sense. It makes no sense whatever religion one is looking at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 09:04 AM

36,523 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
I just wonder aloud why they follow something they can't explain.
Have you ever asked why they color eggs and hide them or any of the other Christian Easter rituals? You should have seen the look on my SILs face when I explained where that tradition came from, she is Church of Christ.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:56 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
I think we need to either fish or cut bait when it comes to our ethical systems. If we can't live with following the rule of religious law to the last letter, change the contract, for crying out loud. Most of them were last updated before there was anything resembling modern science & technology, human-rights initiatives, or even mass communication. Time for Moishe Feinberg -- or Akiko Matsumoto -- or Chaka Ntozake -- to come down from the mountain with a fresher message from Gawd Almighty on his or her iPod.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:26 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Morality is subjective (I'm told), It was once immoral to eat meat on Friday, but now it is moral.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:42 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I don't think less of the Catholics because some of them can't explain the intricacies of lent. I just wonder aloud why they follow something they can't explain.
Faith?

But in this case, not really. To be honest, no one ever explained to us as kids why we abstained from eating meat on Fridays. It was just something we did and wasn't a big deal. And we ate pretty well on Fridays to boot!

Some view it as a sacrifice (that's my view), some as penance, or some as a way to rise above earthly desires one day a week during the time when we observe Jesus' sacrifices in the desert.

But immoral? That I was never taught.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Most?

Have you ever done any work on Sunday-Sabbath
Have you ever disrespected your parents-Honor
Have you ever wanted something others had-Covet
Have you ever cursed-Taken Gods name in vein
Have you ever worshiped idols-False idols
Have you ever taken anything that wasnt yours-Steal
Have your ever been untruthful-lie

These thing are hard for us. Sometimes we have to work on sunday even if our ox isnt in the ditch. Most teens hate their parents for a time. Most have thoughts of wanting more than we can afford or have lustful thoughts about someone elses SO. Most of us in anger or frustration or excitement will utter God or Jesus Christ. Most of us have followed the celebs, put up posters of our favorite band, etc. Most have taken something even if its a little fib on our tax return, keeping change when a clerk made a mistake and most have at sometime told a little white lie.

Worshiping God, not murdering someone and not committing adultry are easy, sometimes.
I've never understood what the graven-images bit has to do with morality. That's just allowing God to be territorial. As another example of why this is a weird commandment, the Amish make their little girls creepy faceless dolls because a doll with a face would be a graven image. As if little girls worshipped their dolls or something.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:14 PM

36,523 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
I've never understood what the graven-images bit has to do with morality.
Nothing. Morality and religion are not one in the same. One can be moral and not religious or religious and not moral. Or so I was taught.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:36 PM

I gather it's fairly new innovation to even connect religion with morality. For most of human history, you acted in a moral way to keep the neighbors from revenging themselves on you; you appeased the gods to make sure the rain came when your crops needed it, or the next baby would be a girl, or the cows wouldn't come down with plague o'boils. It was pretty edgy for the Jews to even come up with that connection, if you ask me.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:23 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,900,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post

No one should ever vent or give an opinion again then? No one should ever be critical of another because no one is perfect? We both know thats not realistic. There is nothing wrong or inaccurate about my post. Some ppl just took it the wrong way but my point is very clear.

Most of them probably have no idea why they are not eating meat. They are just doing it because they always did it. I think its very dangerous when as a society we don't question things and go along with the flow. This could translate into laws being passed and freedoms being lost all because they just believed everything they were told w/out ever questioning it. So while they seem harmless they represent a much bigger problem.
Where did I say no one should ever vent or give an opinion and how come you seem to think yours is more valid than mine? Just curious not trying to get into a fisty cuffs over it.

As to people's religious beliefs and practices, again I'll say, in my opinion it's entirely their right to believe and practice as they so choose, just as it is my right to believe and practice (or not) as I choose.

Now you state that you think it's dangerous that people go along with a religion without questioning it but you've also railed against Catholics for not following their religion to the letter either (ie not going along with it) so to me it's just looking like you're picking and choosing what to get pissy about.

When it comes to religion and faith or athiesm/agnosticism, this is one of the fundamentals of human beings that all of us have to make a decision about on a basic level and I agree that religion can translate into laws being passed and freedoms being taken away but and I did mention that I live in a more secular society (in other words it's not as big an issue here because if religion attempts to push to change laws that will dictate to the rest of us, even the more moderate RELIGIONS tend to put a stop to it pretty quick. Different deal in America I know) let's face it in the Western world today we are at more threat of being dictated to and having laws changed by the holy faith of consumerism and big business.

Now if you want to go after big church and big business I say go for it but if you want to slag off at Joe Catholic or Monty Muslim or any other person who are just interpreting their faith in a way that makes sense to them, then I find that just as misguided and dangerous, if not more so, than not eating fish on Fridays and not knowing why.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:28 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
I am so relieved that Good Friday and all the Fridays leading up to Easter are gone. Every year I get so sick of all the phonies who won't eat meat on Fridays and think they are practicing Catholics...lmao. They cheat on their spouse, beat their kids, lie and steal but if they don't eat meat a few Fridays out of the ear they are good people. If you believe in a religion, follow it. I am so sick of these half a**ed Christians/Catholics. While I am not fond of the fundamentalists either at least they follow their religion more thouroughly!
well i don't know about you but i camped out for easter weekend and had a big fat ribeye with a baked potato.... and drank cruzan rum with coca cola and had a big bon fire on the beach... i repent every sin i did that night. i felt pain for 2 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates