Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:27 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,434,763 times

Advertisements

right now, as a poor student, i dont think we have enough

once i become part of the elite, i think the rest of you have to many
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 08:41 AM

25,344 posts, read 18,480,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
In some areas we have too many rights, in some areas too few. I'll give an example of one of each:

Right we shouldn't have: Right To Bear Arms.

Lets face it people, this isn't the 1800's. Guns only lead to problems. Keep firearms in the military. Don't even give them to the police. All the right-wing continues to say "I have a right to protect my family." Well you know what, if the guy threatening you doesn't have a gun, then whats the problem. People can carry tasers, mace, and other forms of non-lethal defense. Too many damn people are shot in this country every day, lots of times on accident.

Right we should have: Marijuana

Before you bash me, hear me out. Who in the hell decided that the government should be able to tell me what I can and can't put in my body. It would be like one day Congress just decided to outlaw cheese. Its ridiculous. Not to mention billions of taxpayer dollars are used to chase down and send innocent teenagers to jail, ruining their futures. And in the end, the people who want to smoke weed, are going to smoke weed, whether they buy it at the store, or from a dude on the street.
It sure would be nice to have a world where guns didn't exist. It would be nice if many 'bad' things didn't exist. But, they do. By your own words, the people who want to smoke weed, are going to smoke weed... just as people who want to brandish a firearm are going to do so. With that in mind, can you please state the logic of not allowing individuals or police forces to posess firearms when we know criminals will posess them. Do you think a criminal cares whether a firearm is illegal? Drugs are illegal. How hard is it to get them? How hard do you think it would be for anyone to get a gun if they were illegal? Full autos are illegal. They are readily available to criminals.

You know, if you could snap your fingers and all guns vanished, I would tell you to do it right now. But that isn't going to happen. We are stuck with them, and criminals will always get them whether they are illegal or not.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:46 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,663,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
And who would that 'higher party' be?
You scare me.
Who do you think ought to decide whether to nuke Iran? Telemarketing operators and WalMart greeters and sophomores on spring break? Or people who have the background and are in a position to evaluate the potential benefits and consequences in the big-picture context?

Old 04-13-2009, 09:06 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,268,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Who do you think ought to decide whether to nuke Iran? Telemarketing operators and WalMart greeters and sophomores on spring break? Or people who have the background and are in a position to evaluate the potential benefits and consequences in the big-picture context?
You mean, kind of like Stalin and Hitler? They certainly were in a position to evaluate benefits and consequences.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:07 AM

23,535 posts, read 23,863,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
Right we shouldn't have: Right To Bear Arms.

Lets face it people, this isn't the 1800's. Guns only lead to problems. Keep firearms in the military. Don't even give them to the police. All the right-wing continues to say "I have a right to protect my family." Well you know what, if the guy threatening you doesn't have a gun, then whats the problem. People can carry tasers, mace, and other forms of non-lethal defense. Too many damn people are shot in this country every day, lots of times on accident.
You apparently have no idea why the 2nd Amendment exists.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The reason it's there is in bold. "The security of a free State" means that we have the means to forcefully remove those in power, should it become necessary. Self protection and sporting have nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment - they're just fringe benefits.

There's a saying among gun rights supporters - The 2nd Amendment is the one that protects all the rest. It's absolutely correct. Without the 2nd, what would stop a government from declaring the Constitution null and void, and setting up a monarchy or dictatorship? If all the guns were gone, except for the military (which is a horrible idea, and precisely what our founding fathers did NOT want to happen), what could we do to stop them?

Gun violence sucks. Living in a dictatorship sucks more. And if you think it can't happen, think again. Nobody can see the future and there's only one constant when it comes to people in power - they want more.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:24 AM

37,754 posts, read 40,833,208 times
I think the word "rights" is used to mean everything these days and not just the "rights" actually granted in the Constitution's Bill of Rights.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:30 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,174,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningCalm View Post
I'm a strong believer that we should be allowed to govern ourselves but to a certain point. After that if things get out of control and we cannot make a sensible decision then I think that a higher party/group should make that decision for us.

Well, I suppose at least the trains would run on time...

Old 04-13-2009, 09:35 AM

767 posts, read 2,059,700 times
There is no such thing as having too many rights. We fought hard for every single liberty that we have and we should never succumnb to any governmental entity (or individual for that matter) who seeks to take any of those rights away.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:35 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,174,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

The government isn't intended to be only "people who have the background and are in a position to evaluate the potential benefits and consequences in the big-picture context". It's intended to be "of the people, by the people, for the people"-- even if those people happen to be telemarketing operators and Walmart greeters. And frankly, Joe down at Walmart couldn't possibly be as big an idiot as some of the representation we've had lo these many years.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:56 AM

339 posts, read 705,689 times
Q: Do people have too many rights? A: The idiots of society sure seem to. Normal people...no. It doesn't seem to matter for the people who are too busy to consistently do stupid $hit and make eveyone else say "There otta be a law".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates