U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-27-2009, 01:56 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
3,302 posts, read 3,754,492 times
Reputation: 2524

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
You have to imagine what it would be like for a Mexican or any other minority to live in a city where 50-70 % of the white population treats him less cordially than they do the white person standing next to him. Assuming since 44% of whites voted for Obama that may still leave a large portion of white society who might be racist. No they are not denying you a job or house because they are powerless to do any real “harm.” Why would a person want to adopt the values, language, and mores, of a society where 7out of 10 people treat you as if you don’t exist? I think it creates a hostile environment.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Now, I am of Mexican heritage and also lived in Mexico even though I was born in the States.

Your example applies with Mexican being descriminatory also. Here in El Paso where the majority are of Mexican roots do show the treatment to others. My wife is has German, Mexican, and Irish blood. She does look anglo. Very often I have notice in stores how some Mexicans have faked not knowing English to not take care of her. However, I have been next to her and I tell them I have noticed they have spoken English to others. Also, I have noticed how they have talked about her thinking she does not know Spanish and their jaws dropped when she politely asks how much is for the merchandise.

This society is not necessarily racists from the white side, Mexicans do the very same. I have seen them treat blacks in some cases worse than whites. Actually, I have seen them treat Mexican that are new arrivals to the US worse than they would treat whites who are the ones they complain about. I have seen blacks to the same on others and even on other blacks. Koreans do the same with blacks.

It is funny when I read in the Spanish newspapers, sold here in the States and Mexico, of how racist the US is and yet they do not see how in Mexico the treat the Tarahumara indians and other minorities. I know, I lived there.

It is also hypocritical for Mexicans coming to the States and calling the US racists and denying human rights and yet they give the same treatment to Guatemalans when the try to cross the border to Mexico for a better life.

Also, I have seen Mexican complain how the US deny rights to immigrants and yet the Mexican Constitution does the very same thing.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

 
Old 07-28-2009, 05:08 AM
 
1,718 posts, read 1,990,212 times
Reputation: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Just thought I'd let everyone see the PM I just got from this particular member.
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii

"WOW...Im a racist now...I only post towards other people racists or prejudiced comments...whos playing the race card here me or you?

You can act high and mighty over this computer screen but I would like to see you say any of what you spew in my face...

Your a scared little racist puppet."


I think what she is saying here, Omaha, is that if you were to debate with her face to face she would resort to violence.

I find that when people either do not have the facts with which to debate or they are not intelligent enough to debate they will resort to name calling and, if possible, even violence. The name calling could perhaps be a lack of facts but I think the violence is an indication of low intelligence.

Last edited by Reelist in Atlanta; 07-28-2009 at 06:34 AM..
 
Old 07-28-2009, 06:37 AM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,453,494 times
Reputation: 3868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii

"WOW...Im a racist now...I only post towards other people racists or prejudiced comments...whos playing the race card here me or you?

You can act high and mighty over this computer screen but I would like to see you say any of what you spew in my face...

Your a scared little racist puppet."


I think what she is saying here, Omaha, is that if you were to debate with her face to face she would resort to violence.

I find that when people either do not have the facts with which to debate or they are not intelligent enough to debate they will resort to name calling and, if possible, even violence. The name calling could perhaps be a lack of facts but I think the violence is an indication of low intelligence.
Well, "he" is actually a "she" - and she has a terrible problem with her racist attitude, with honesty, her temper, and with shooting off her mouth when somebody doesn't agree with her.
 
Old 07-28-2009, 10:10 AM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
16,469 posts, read 33,412,913 times
Reputation: 15197
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
Anyway RACISM exist because people fear what they do not know. Instead of actually getting to know what others are like individually, they come here to CD and think they can say anything they want and not get called out on it.
What happens when you get to know individuals of a different culture and traditions, and you decide that you still don't like them? And those who read my posts in the Relationship forum, they all know that I can't stand my old ghetto acting black female manager. And the longer I knew her, the less respect I had for her as a person and co-worker... as she revealed her personal life to us at work. I don't like her style of dressing (long nails, clothing that's too tight, too much tacky jewelry), I can't stand the way she massacres the English language with her ebonics, and her morals (with her dating four different men at once and declaring that she doesn't love any of them and that she's just using them) both dirty, scary and disturbing. No, someone like that will never be my real friend. I would also prefer that she never move to my neighborhood.

And I've experienced first hand, the company of people who are from the inner city or poor neighboods of all races and who think that their lifestyle is just fine. 'Hood culture just doesn't appeal to me. Trailer trash culture doesn't appeal to me either. And there's no good reason to have to deal with it on a personal level.

On the other hand, if someone is from a poor and disadvantage background, but has worked hard and gotten themselves a good education and is acting like a civilized human being, then I respect that person. I just object to those that embrace their 'hood culture and think that there is nothing wrong with it.

Last edited by miu; 07-28-2009 at 10:23 AM..
 
Old 07-28-2009, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
3,562 posts, read 4,849,399 times
Reputation: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
You have to imagine what it would be like for a Mexican or any other minority to live in a city where 50-70 % of the white population treats him less cordially than they do the white person standing next to him. Assuming since 44% of whites voted for Obama that may still leave a large portion of white society who might be racist. No they are not denying you a job or house because they are powerless to do any real “harm.” Why would a person want to adopt the values, language, and mores, of a society where 7out of 10 people treat you as if you don’t exist? I think it creates a hostile environment.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

By your logic every white person that didnt vote Obama is racist.

So what would that make the 98% of blacks that voted Obama?
 
Old 07-29-2009, 09:22 AM
 
48,891 posts, read 39,370,650 times
Reputation: 30547
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
By your logic every white person that didnt vote Obama is racist.

So what would that make the 98% of blacks that voted Obama?
Yes. Actually that occurred during the Democratic primaries.

Obama won a state in the south like MS or AL and exit polls asked if race factored into your decision....it was overwhelmingly indicative that a lot of blacks picked him over Hillary based upon skin color.

The irony being that when West Virginia went Hillary....out came all the racist-redneck comments. A curious double standard.

Frankly, I found the entire exchange rather distasteful. I grew up around racist neighbors, relatives etc. and older generation. Now the worst racists I see in my own generation are typically people that would classify as a "minority" and they generally direct their attitudes against other minorities.

I think that a second wave of racial education needs to come around in this country, only this time no one should get a "get out of being racist" free card.
 
Old 07-29-2009, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Miami
537 posts, read 255,733 times
Reputation: 170
Racism will exist -- for as long as there is more than one race.
 
Old 07-29-2009, 09:47 AM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
16,469 posts, read 33,412,913 times
Reputation: 15197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairo46 View Post
Racism will exist -- for as long as there is more than one race.
As long as humans have vision, they will continue to be colour aware, and culture aware. Even if we all had the same skin colour, there are still going to be variations in our other physical features as in hair colour (natural and artificial), height and shape. Or educational differences will be apparent by the way we speak and how we lives. And of course, the differences in how we choose to dress. And don't forget the different religious beliefs.

On a planet with all the different continents and a human population of several billions and growing, and all the different languages and cultures, and the fierce competition for resources of clean water, food, land and jobs, we will never be as one. Just not going to happen.
 
Old 07-29-2009, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Miami
537 posts, read 255,733 times
Reputation: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
As long as humans have vision, they will continue to be colour aware, and culture aware. Even if we all had the same skin colour, there are still going to be variations in our other physical features as in hair colour (natural and artificial), height and shape. Or educational differences will be apparent by the way we speak and how we lives. And of course, the differences in how we choose to dress. And don't forget the different religious beliefs.

On a planet with all the different continents and a human population of several billions and growing, and all the different languages and cultures, and the fierce competition for resources of clean water, food, land and jobs, we will never be as one. Just not going to happen.
Well said!
 
Old 11-02-2009, 07:47 AM
 
48,891 posts, read 39,370,650 times
Reputation: 30547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Do you know anyone who openly declares him/herself being a racist? Probably not, unless you know members of groups such as the Klan.
For me, it's hearing people start talking about how they don't care about the color of skin, but then they endlessly rant and rave about mistakes and shortcomings of another race. I think this is the technique used by talk radio show hosts.
What are the things you look for to determine if a person is a racist or not?
Generally, it's someone making a blatantly racist comment or action and then claiming it's ok because they are a minority.

Like when my pacifist friend got beat up by a mob after the Rodney King verdict because he happened to be white. Or some of the things the Koreans I went to college with would say about blacks....

The poster child for racism is the white supremecist, that's a rather quaint notion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top