U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2009, 08:14 AM

871 posts, read 1,414,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The poster child for racism is the white supremecist, that's a rather quaint notion.
Well, we all get pigeonholed now, don't we? whites have come up with their own regarding others. how quaint.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:48 AM

871 posts, read 1,414,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
As long as humans have vision, they will continue to be colour aware, and culture aware. Even if we all had the same skin colour, there are still going to be variations in our other physical features as in hair colour (natural and artificial), height and shape. Or educational differences will be apparent by the way we speak and how we lives. And of course, the differences in how we choose to dress. And don't forget the different religious beliefs.

On a planet with all the different continents and a human population of several billions and growing, and all the different languages and cultures, and the fierce competition for resources of clean water, food, land and jobs, we will never be as one. Just not going to happen.
maybe it will become like star trek. that would be cool. i think all countries should model themselves after star trek and use that as a vision for tomorrow. we already have cell phones (star trek communicator) and laptops. i'm elated at the thought of transporters and especially the food replicator. can't wait, too bad it won't be in my lifetime.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:24 AM

48,925 posts, read 39,411,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
Well, we all get pigeonholed now, don't we? whites have come up with their own regarding others. how quaint.
The point is that the face of racism for previous generations was the klansman, the current (younter) racists are harder to spot and a lot mroe "diverse".

Old 04-07-2011, 03:24 PM

146 posts, read 204,114 times
I tend to know when:
1: Someone automatically assumes I come from the ghetto.
2: Someone comes up trying to speak Ebonic slang (and jacking it up horribly) as if I don't understand English.
3: Any general statements concerning African American culture that applies only to certain kinds of African Americans. (Mistaking Hip Hop or Ghetto for "black")
4: Surprise when someone says or does something unstereotypical.
5: Consistent double standards expressed when concerning race. (Ex. During Hurricane Katrina a white family "found" some goods at a flooded out store, The black family "looted" it.)
6: Assuming even positive stereotypes such as: I know how to dance, I can play basketball, I vote democrat etc..

Keep in mind that my definition of racism doesn't necessarily include hatred. I think it's just misunderstandings and assumptions of an individual based on the stereotypes associated with their ethnicity. I think that most of us in America have a few racist beliefs if we were not properly exposed to communities outside of our own.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:17 PM

8,669 posts, read 6,344,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Do you know anyone who openly declares him/herself being a racist? Probably not, unless you know members of groups such as the Klan.
For me, it's hearing people start talking about how they don't care about the color of skin, but then they endlessly rant and rave about mistakes and shortcomings of another race. I think this is the technique used by talk radio show hosts.
What are the things you look for to determine if a person is a racist or not?
That is an outstanding question. I am sure you realize that racism is like pedophilia in that it carries a negative social stigma which triggers ones human nature not to reveal the tendency, if they harbor it, for fear of social, occupational or criminal consequences. It’s like homosexuality in the 50’s in which gay people married and fronted at “strait” lifestyle, while having homosexual relationships on the down low. The only reason they did this because of the cost of revealing that they were gay. You also have to examine the phenomenon of denial as well, for it’s often too painful to see oneself as morally and or socially reprehensible, so the inner-self seeks to deny or “Normalize” the propensity. When I say normalize, I mean they find comfort and relief in portraying the idea that “everyone does it”. Said another way logically: if saying A = C is a sign of racism, and A = B is a given, then people will say B = C instead. However, deductive reasoning reveals that if A = B and B = C then A = C.

Anyway, I view racism not as an emotion, but rather, a rationalization of racial supremacy or inferiority. One has to realize that through history everyone knows the words and phrases that would get one labeled as a racist. So they simply avoid them. Hence, one has to piece together what people say. In other words, one has to use deduction and induction….or logic. For example, if saying 12 literally is usually a sign of racism, people will say 3, and then they will say 5, then they will say 4…..then when another puts it all together…….it adds up to 12. However, they never said 12 (the trap word....because they know its a trap) and hence they deny to others and themselves that they are racist. The think not being racist is avoiding saying certain things or not having "hatred". In truth, however, its ones rationalizations and what they imply that reveals modern racism.

Here is a simple question. Ask a white person if they believe that had whites experienced what blacks experienced, in degree and kind, would whites be doing any better than black are today? If they say no then they are free of beliefs of racial superiority\inferiority and also that blacks are in there position of socioeconomic inequality because of injustices experienced at the hands of society. If they say yes then they believe that whites are better than blacks, on average, and the nature of black people is the reason for socioeconomic inequality today. However, most will obfuscate and never really answer the question directly or say that it’s an absurd hypothetical. It’s really a simply question.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 04-07-2011 at 06:29 PM..

Old 04-08-2011, 09:50 AM

1,811 posts, read 926,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Do you know anyone who openly declares him/herself being a racist? Probably not, unless you know members of groups such as the Klan.
For me, it's hearing people start talking about how they don't care about the color of skin, but then they endlessly rant and rave about mistakes and shortcomings of another race. I think this is the technique used by talk radio show hosts.
What are the things you look for to determine if a person is a racist or not?
If they constantly moan about how their race is being held down by another, chance are almost certain that they are complete and total racists. Racial "Pirates" if you catch my drift.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:41 PM

2,058 posts, read 4,312,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes, a few and no they are not Klan.
Don't worry, they'll join as soon as a local chapter opens in town.

Last edited by dorado0359; 04-08-2011 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: ...

Old 04-08-2011, 07:05 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,873,262 times
I think everybody that I have ever known has, on occasion, simplified their reality and drawn conclusions based upon prior experiences. Anger can be a necessary emotion in that it is often fuel for accomplishment. The greatest achievers usually have problems with anger.

I guess, in a round about way, I'm saying that our imperfections provide fuel for perfection.

Someone may not be racist per se. But they just hate tall people. Or Ph.D's. Or politicians. Or fat people, maybe thin people. Or teachers. Or lawyers. Or geeks. Or athletes. Or hippies. Or cops. Or old people. Or bankers. Whats the difference?

Old 04-09-2011, 03:38 PM

34 posts, read 38,740 times
Surely no one is reading this anymore . . . I tried to read all the entries to see if anyone said what I'm about to say, but honestly, 149 comments that are just generic argument, many of them? I made it through the first 3 or 5 pages of 15, and then sampled a few more pages deeper in.

A racist is someone who believes that there is such a thing as race. They can think anything else they want to think about these imaginary races.

I'm not denying slavery, for instance, or that it happened in America mainly with people who were forcibly "immigrated" from African nations.

But I would like to join some other reasonable people and deny the existence of race itself. There is no such thing as race. Things like "the one drop rule" prove this. The designations of race in America are exactly exactly like the designations of race that existed in South Africa in the time of Ghandi's civil rights campaigns. "Black", "colored", and "white" are descriptions of political status. Being called "black" or "white" in America has nothing to do with skin color. It has everything to do with "othering" people.

Try reframing all of the preceding comments without using racial designations like black and white and see what you think yourself.

Last edited by Willikers; 04-09-2011 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: for improved sense

Old 04-18-2011, 12:23 PM

919 posts, read 1,865,691 times
Before all these replys we should define what a racist is. It is someone who favors their own race over other races. So blacks are racist, jews are racist, hispanics are racist, whites are racist(or should be). I say should be because it is natural to favor your own race and if you don't you are living in an unatural world. But being racists doesn't necessarily mean hating other races. People have a big hangup about the racial question. Its seems to dominate their world outlook but its all the result of politically correct indoctrination and those who are the indoctrinators are the most racists ones of all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or