U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2011, 02:49 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,427,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Are you as quick to notice that the players in the NHL are nearly all white? are you as quick to notice when an old pick-up with a Rebel flag cruises real slow at night past a Farmers Anhydrous Ammonia tanks. The driver is always white? Then you might not be a racist
Actually, I notice all that kind of crap. That the NBA has an unusually high percentage of blacks, and the NHL is almost all white. I likewise notice that stuff about black drivers leaning over so as to be almost unable to see the road. And I've said before somewhere or another, black male youths look alike, as do old white women, old white men, and young white jocks with short hair. And my vision is 20/20 too. All that having been said, I take individuals, well, individually. Members of various demographics may look somewhat alike, but I don't consider them alike.

I do think there is something biological concerning the number of blacks in sports. Consequently, by dictionary definitions, I am a racist. I think that blacks could be much more common in the NHL if the culture were to ever move more blacks in that direction. Another words, I don't think there's anything biological that makes the NHL mostly white. I think it's cultural and environmental, and probably to some degree financial. Simply put; There aren't a lot of playground ice rinks in the U.S. And goalie equipment doesn't grow on trees.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:59 PM

8,309 posts, read 33,329,150 times
The "Trent Lott" defense is a marker for latent racism. "I have lots of black/white/hispanic/gay/lesbian/transgender friends!" That's the worst thing you can say because it means you don't have anything better/more substantive to say.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:20 PM

65 posts, read 58,074 times
Compared to all the other problems out there, I think racism is vastly overstated. There are many people who will strain at gnats to uncover "hidden racism" wherever they think they can find it. But there are relatively few people who are hostile to others simply because of their race, and fewer still in positions of influence. We don't need to focus so much on racism, which is the Emmanuel Goldstein of our times, as much as we need to look at cultural nihilism and where that's taking us.

Last edited by BigGuy77; 04-18-2011 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: to enhance clarity

Old 04-18-2011, 06:22 PM

8,088 posts, read 7,313,744 times
The problem is that racist/racism is used frequently when one party disagrees with the other over subjects which have a basis in aspect of history due to race-slavery, Jim Crow Laws, etc. and then racist is used to trump them because it devalues whatever constructive contribution the labeled party is doing.

Race is only a color, culture is a manner of living. Soooo, does that make me a racist? In some areas yes.

Last edited by Felix C; 04-18-2011 at 06:33 PM..

Old 04-18-2011, 07:12 PM

8,663 posts, read 6,338,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
Before all these replys we should define what a racist is. It is someone who favors their own race over other races. So blacks are racist, jews are racist, hispanics are racist, whites are racist(or should be). I say should be because it is natural to favor your own race and if you don't you are living in an unatural world. But being racists doesn't necessarily mean hating other races. People have a big hangup about the racial question. Its seems to dominate their world outlook but its all the result of politically correct indoctrination and those who are the indoctrinators are the most racists ones of all.
No....sorry....you don't get to make up your self serving definition. THats whats going on in America. Many whites have basically redefined what racism is so that they make others seem as guilty as they have been and are. All you had to do was to any online dictionary for a definition....but no....that might not serve your purpose.

From Dictionary.com

[SIZE=4]rac·ism[/SIZE]

   /[SIZE=3]ˈreɪsɪzəm[/SIZE]/ Show Spelled[rey-siz-uhm] Show IPA
–noun 1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Use racism in a Sentence

See images of racism

Search racism on the Web

Origin:
1865–70; < French racisme. See race2 , -ism

Old 04-20-2011, 12:59 PM

959 posts, read 1,113,890 times
In 2011 the word racist is a very loose term. I have been called a racist before by minorities because I say some politically incorrect things and am critical of Obama, even though my current girlfriend is half Samoan and half Filipino. Very few true hardcore racists date outside their race. You will never see Louis Farrakhan dating a White woman or David Duke dating a Black woman.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:01 PM

13,292 posts, read 10,101,303 times
To answer your question: A real racist does not believe that they are racist, in their feeble minds they believe that they are right.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:38 PM

8,004 posts, read 9,653,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I'm a racist. Or at least, I've been called that. I notice that nearly the players in the NBA are black. I have to detect that for myself, because the commentators never make any reference to that. I notice that when a driver drives a car with rims and a boomer in the trunk, slumped down in the drivers seat so he can barely see over the hood, cruising real slow through malls and supermarket parking lots, but never stopping and getting out, I notice that he is always black. It is racist to notice that. Being blind is not an asset nor a virtue. But it is politically correct.
Hehe, that's because white guys can't generally jump as high...however, how many blacks to you see in professional swimming. I don't see that as racist at all...some of society seems to be getting so damn hyper-aware of things like that. It's a matter of simple observation.....not racism.

Why can black people call each other the "N" word, but if white people use the "N" word, it's considered insulting and derogatory? Good grief, let a white kid use the "N" word in school...even if there are no black people attending the school...they ARE heading to the principal's office...if they're lucky, they'll only get after SCHOOL suspension. If they're not lucky, they're getting expelled!

Old 04-20-2011, 04:25 PM

84 posts, read 103,943 times
You can't tell if someone is racist or not just by hearing a few things they have said. I have said racist things before, but I do not think of myself as a racist, and I do not hold racist views.

I think you can tell if they are consistently saying negative things about other races, and not in a joking manner, or even in a joking manner that is half-serious.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:40 PM

8,004 posts, read 9,653,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
To answer your question: A real racist does not believe that they are racist, in their feeble minds they believe that they are right.
A REAL racist believes that his or her race is the superior one and that the only way you could ever be an equal to them, is if you are the same race. IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or