U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2011, 12:05 PM

51,197 posts, read 50,480,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Sadly, I think his personal experiences when he was younger, colored his view of people. Yes, I also think that he wasn't very good at expressing his anger and frustration and it came out as horribly racist. Being careful with your words, especially when raising children is so important. As I said, I do have siblings who are terribly racist, and it isn't as though they were ever really exposed to a lot of people outside our own race and/or culture. The rantings and ravings of my father caused some deep seated mistrust and hatred of other races.....truly sad.

I also think media plays quite a part in creating these prejudices. We took a family trip to a big city in February. There were many people of different "races" around us and our children were actually nervous and voiced that to me. I explained to them that it was irrational fear and nervousness, brought on by the portrayal of them on television. So many television programs they have watched show "African Americans", as people with guns, in gangs, violent and angry! Hispanics are portrayed (in many instances) in the same way... Asians, portrayed as terribly against the "Americans'" way of life and always looking for a way to take advantage of them because Americans are so stupid, etc. Once they realized that their view of other races was based primarily on things they've watched on television, it all made sense! LOL

This is a really good point. A decade or so ago, there was a trend amongst black comedians to make jokes about parents "acting white" by talking to their children instead of spanking or whacking them. I was puzzled by the reference--my mother could swing her long arm while driving and catch five heads in one sweep and never swerve. Every kid I ever knew growing up got spanked or worse. My friend use to have marks on her from her German mother's "double buckle" (two belts together, buckle side) when she mouthed off.

Finally it dawned on me one day that a lot of black kids probably grew up watching dumbass shows like The Brady Bunch and thought that white people were really as portrayed on TV. LOL.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:46 PM

8,004 posts, read 9,651,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This is a really good point. A decade or so ago, there was a trend amongst black comedians to make jokes about parents "acting white" by talking to their children instead of spanking or whacking them. I was puzzled by the reference--my mother could swing her long arm while driving and catch five heads in one sweep and never swerve. Every kid I ever knew growing up got spanked or worse. My friend use to have marks on her from her German mother's "double buckle" (two belts together, buckle side) when she mouthed off.

Finally it dawned on me one day that a lot of black kids probably grew up watching dumbass shows like The Brady Bunch and thought that white people were really as portrayed on TV. LOL.
Yeah, OMG! That is too funny!! I bet you're RIGHT! LOL If only they knew that most of us white kids WISH our families had been even a little BIT like the Brady Bunch!! Riiight! Remember the "Courtship of Eddie's Father"? Bill Bixby? I wanted him for MY dad! He TALKED! He was FAIR! He used terms of endearments..."Hey Sport"...instead of "Get over here Brat!"

Yeah, the belt was quite common in our home...for even a LOOK! If someone raised their hand in the classroom at school, I ducked! I just KNEW I was about to be backhanded...and HOLLER! Lord have mercy! Tyler Perry's Madea (sp?)...has NOTHING over my parents. My kids only WISHED I'd have just spanked them. I think they would have preferred that over the lectures and lessons. LOL

Old 04-24-2011, 10:55 AM

9,745 posts, read 13,649,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Do you know anyone who openly declares him/herself being a racist?
Yes, actually, I do. He's quite proud of it. But I know a lot more people who occasionally may make remarks than would be considered racist, but they probably don't actually hate anyone based on race alone. Some of them may joke around about different races, but don't actually mean any harm by it and would never harm another person simply based on race. Others are pretty obviously racist but are completely oblivious to that fact, but are still good people who would also never harm anyone, and would never intentionally offend anyone, either. And they would probably feel bad if they knew they were being even just a little racist. The point is, most of us are probably a little racist even if we try not to be. At one time in our rather distant past, it may have benefited us to be leery of other people from different family groups/tribe/etc. If that is the case, then I'd say the human race has done pretty well in overcoming that, even though we're far from perfect and still have a long way to go.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:26 PM

15,148 posts, read 15,198,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I think racism, like anything else, is a spectrum. There is extremely few people who are at either end (totally hateful vs totally color blind). I think most of us are somewhere inbetween, with a tilt towards colorblind. There are alot of people who are "In the closet" on the issue, consciously or subconsciously, but I don't think they're that hard to spot...

Most of us have the spidey sense when someone is hateful. What muddies the waters is people with a political/social agenda who scream racist when you don't agree with them. For example, I've been called a racist on city data becuase:

-I don't believe in gun control
-I believe in lower taxes
-I questioned why we should have big government (This one got me called a Slaveowner)
-I'm not a fan of wealth redistribution
This post just nails it, the word is just oh-so overused, almost meaningless to me. The word is now used to smear people, whether it applies or not. I just laugh when people direct that word at me.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:05 PM

870 posts, read 807,889 times
They reveal themselves by attempting to deprive other human beings of their human rights based on race.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:07 PM

3,647 posts, read 5,302,605 times
At the very least we all have stereotypes which may or may not be racist.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:44 PM

268 posts, read 340,377 times
As a white guy I cannot use the word Mexican in a sentence without being labeled a racist.

Society is hypersensitive when it comes to race.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:39 PM

191 posts, read 104,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handog View Post
As a white guy I cannot use the word Mexican in a sentence without being labeled a racist.

Society is hypersensitive when it comes to race.
As a Mexican-American, I sometimes hear stories that mention race whether or not it is relevant to the story. For instance, I went to the school and attempted to check-out my daughter for the afternoon but the "Mexican" attendance lady was giving me the third degree about it. Neither here nor there about the point of the story.....but mentioned anyways. Or my son has a roommate who he didn't get along with so he decided to transfer out of the dorm to another dorm unit...by the way he was black. No relevance, yet the need to mention race.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:47 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,116,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlady71 View Post
sad thing, it is out there still, some will die being racist, i got called a racist once by a black guy in highschool, why???
one...i had a southern accent....big whoop...2, i told him i didnt find him attractive and had nothing in common with him enough to date him....bamm....he called me a racist white ho.
thing was...he was way off....i have lots of black friends, but i dont look at skin color, i look at everyone as they should be looked at....as AMERICANS.....if we all did that, this racist crap would finally end.
do i get sick of it??? yes i do, it stays alive cuz some refuse to let it go, blacks will use it as leverage in a arguement when one of them get in trouble, whites will use it as a way to seperate themselves, the list goes on, everyone does it, white, black, chinese, indian, mexican, etc.
but its stupid, just as stupid as this guy callen me racist cuz i wouldnt date him, just because im not attracted to someone, and they happen to be a differant skin color then me, has nothen to do with it....im not attracted to alot of white guys either...and im white...so why isnt that racsist???
when im out and comment how i dont like spinner wheels or baggy pants, that doesnt make me racisit...its just that i dont like that look...i dont care what color your skin is...lots of whites and mexicans drive with wierd tires and wear baggy pants.
if id dont like crawfish...am i racsist??? cuz i like chinese food, mexican food, american food...etc, but if i was to say i didnt like a particular food someone a differant color then me prefers....id be called a racsist...get my point????
im not a racsist...alot of people are not racsist either...but because of their likes or dislikes, others will automatically assume they are racsist.

I got something in a email other day, i wish i could attach it to this...but it made sence....for example, there is miss america pagent, all women can enter....yet there is miss black america...only black women can enter....
there is holidays, events, etc that cater to one skin color, with other skin colors not being allowed, YET....if a white person was to have a "white american day" or white history day...omg...the fight would be on.
its stupid, thats racsist....we need to all get along as americans and end this crap.....having seperate "things" for one or the other just feeds the fire....it needs to end...we are ALL americans...who cares what color our skin is....our hearts all bleed the same red.
Seriously, it's human nature. No group has their hands clean, and if that black boy was a white back in the day he'd be just as bad. People taking advantage of that position are the scum of the earth, to be honest, whatever their colour. They make others hate them and their group.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:29 PM

1,480 posts, read 4,365,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Do you know anyone who openly declares him/herself being a racist? Probably not, unless you know members of groups such as the Klan.
For me, it's hearing people start talking about how they don't care about the color of skin, but then they endlessly rant and rave about mistakes and shortcomings of another race. I think this is the technique used by talk radio show hosts.
What are the things you look for to determine if a person is a racist or not?
I have a rule: if someone has to say they have black freinds, they don't have black freinds. That's another way of saying they're not racist, and people only say it right before they say something racist.

"I have black freinds, but.... here's a racist comment about black people."

It's as if they're preemptively defending what they're about to say because they know it's racist. Well, if you're not racist, and you really do have black freinds, you will never be in a position to say so as a means of defending what you are saying. You just wouldn't say racist sh*t.

And you may work with a black guy who you think is cool and might go to lunch with on occassion, but if you don't hang out outside of work - you're not freinds. And being nice to a black guy does not make it okay to make racist generalizations about "other black people."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or