U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-07-2011, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Pacific Northwest
1,695 posts, read 1,510,020 times
Reputation: 3289

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The problem that I find with people of this ^^^^ mentality is that they are always willing to point out the negatives of another group yet refuse to acknowledge that 100% of said group is not as they describe them. These type of people also always refuse to look at the negatives that exist within their own group. It's always "those people" who are the problem.

People make broad, negative statements about a group yet they have limited exposure or exposure only to a small segment of that group in which the variances of socioeconomics, regional, or other factors come into play. A family of illegal immigrants that are newly arrived from Guatemala will be different from the family of Mexican-Americans headed by a father who is an attorney and a mother who is a physician. Yet the bigot will say that a Hispanic is a Hispanic.
Wrong. nowhere have I said that ALL people of a minority do any of what I posted. YOU said that.

Another thing I take issue with is people throwing racist at those who point to a group and say "those people". Helloooo....it is just a way to indicate what group of people you are talking about in any given case.

In a restaurant I might point at a group of people who have been waiting to be seated for a while and say to whomever I'm with "Those people need to be seated".

Or in a supermarket I may look at a couple slowpokes in front of me taking forever to write a check and think to myself "Those people are annoying".

It's the same thing here.

Get it ???

Also if you had read my entire post carefully and weren't so trigger happy with your race card gun, you may have noticed that I mentioned that I live in an area highly concentrated with hispanics IE, my exposure isn't limited as you put it.

 
Old 08-07-2011, 01:20 PM
 
8,816 posts, read 9,640,002 times
Reputation: 6695
A racist is a person who's opinion of a group of people is based on statistical data in stead of their own personal interactions with them.
 
Old 08-07-2011, 01:24 PM
 
487 posts, read 316,295 times
Reputation: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
A racist is a person who's opinion of a group of people is based on statistical data in stead of their own personal interactions with them.
According to your own personal and subjective definition I suppose...

What if I have had exclusively negative interactions with individuals of another race? Does that make me racist? Certainly, the few individuals that I interacted with cannot determine the character of an entire demographic.
 
Old 08-07-2011, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Old Town Alexandria
14,506 posts, read 23,204,295 times
Reputation: 8833
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
A REAL racist believes that his or her race is the superior one and that the only way you could ever be an equal to them, is if you are the same race. IMO
Yes and in this region they use the confederate flag, as a subtle reference......
 
Old 08-07-2011, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Western Washington
8,004 posts, read 9,679,148 times
Reputation: 19413
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Yes and in this region they use the confederate flag, as a subtle reference......
Yeah, real subtle, huh? I'm sorry, but when I see that kind of thing, I have a tendency to think, "inbreeding?" I don't know why, but that's just the word that comes to mind..... then I think of a buried stash of automatic weapons.
 
Old 08-07-2011, 03:54 PM
 
8,816 posts, read 9,640,002 times
Reputation: 6695
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs0503 View Post
According to your own personal and subjective definition I suppose...

What if I have had exclusively negative interactions with individuals of another race? Does that make me racist? Certainly, the few individuals that I interacted with cannot determine the character of an entire demographic.
That should be our response when encountering a few individuals from one demographic. For us to form a valid opinion, we would also not just rely on a few encounters to gain empirical data to sufficiently make a decision about a group of people.

We live in a society where it is easier to find some one who is willing to gain empirical data about; Sharks, venomous reptiles, grizzly bears and man eating tigers, than to find some one who will go among a group of people they are unfamiliar with.
 
Old 08-07-2011, 05:42 PM
 
Location: Old Town Alexandria
14,506 posts, read 23,204,295 times
Reputation: 8833
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Yeah, real subtle, huh? I'm sorry, but when I see that kind of thing, I have a tendency to think, "inbreeding?" I don't know why, but that's just the word that comes to mind..... then I think of a buried stash of automatic weapons.
Its sad bcs you mostly see this in Appalachia in places where people dont even live in a house....a trailer with signs of hate in front of it- i never really believed this existed til I moved from S. Florida....

I live in subdivision but people from rural areas here still have this attitude, and the hate still exists....it isnt something people tallk about very much either. Its a reason Im moving...referring to a child as an "Oreo" is not acceptable to me in 2011....they are living in 1940 here.....
 
Old 08-07-2011, 06:28 PM
 
Location: La lune et les étoiles
17,414 posts, read 18,301,719 times
Reputation: 18593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Wrong. nowhere have I said that ALL people of a minority do any of what I posted. YOU said that.

Another thing I take issue with is people throwing racist at those who point to a group and say "those people". Helloooo....it is just a way to indicate what group of people you are talking about in any given case.

In a restaurant I might point at a group of people who have been waiting to be seated for a while and say to whomever I'm with "Those people need to be seated".

Or in a supermarket I may look at a couple slowpokes in front of me taking forever to write a check and think to myself "Those people are annoying".

It's the same thing here.

Get it ???

Also if you had read my entire post carefully and weren't so trigger happy with your race card gun, you may have noticed that I mentioned that I live in an area highly concentrated with hispanics IE, my exposure isn't limited as you put it.

In your post that I quoted, you indicated that all Hispanics shop in large family groups by not stating "some". Shopping as a large group is not characteristic of middle and upper class Hispanics; therefore your assertion that all (by not stating "some") is incorrect. You are lumping all Hispanics together without regard to socioeconomic status, education, ethnicity/nationality, regional customs. ALL Hispanics do not share the same traditions, customs, etc. So yes, the assumption that "those people" are all alike is, if not racist, ignorant and prejudiced. Also, it doesn't matter that you live in an area that is highly populated by Hispanics, you obviously have not been exposed to the full spectrum of Hispanics in America and you most certainly are not living among the highly educated and professional class.
 
Old 08-07-2011, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Western Washington
8,004 posts, read 9,679,148 times
Reputation: 19413
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Its sad bcs you mostly see this in Appalachia in places where people dont even live in a house....a trailer with signs of hate in front of it- i never really believed this existed til I moved from S. Florida....

I live in subdivision but people from rural areas here still have this attitude, and the hate still exists....it isnt something people tallk about very much either. Its a reason Im moving...referring to a child as an "Oreo" is not acceptable to me in 2011....they are living in 1940 here.....

I am so sorry for your mistreatment. I agree with you...that is simply unacceptable behavior. In my opinion,it was unacceptable behavior in 1940. In 2011, it's dispicable behavior. I don't care what anyone says, there is something mentally wrong with people like that. Let's face it, they're gutless bullies.

They're too scaired to step outside their own little protected world and be judged at the same standards as the rest of society. Incidentally, that's also why they stay right where they are, in their nasty little trailers and marry their first cousins. May their chain of dysfunction never be broken. The best anyone can do is make darn sure they don't move into the same territory that these folks live in. Heaven forbid they get ahold of an outsider to brainwash into their warped lifestyle.
 
Old 08-07-2011, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Pacific Northwest
1,695 posts, read 1,510,020 times
Reputation: 3289
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
In your post that I quoted, you indicated that all Hispanics shop in large family groups by not stating "some". Shopping as a large group is not characteristic of middle and upper class Hispanics; therefore your assertion that all (by not stating "some") is incorrect. You are lumping all Hispanics together without regard to socioeconomic status, education, ethnicity/nationality, regional customs. ALL Hispanics do not share the same traditions, customs, etc. So yes, the assumption that "those people" are all alike is, if not racist, ignorant and prejudiced. Also, it doesn't matter that you live in an area that is highly populated by Hispanics, you obviously have not been exposed to the full spectrum of Hispanics in America and you most certainly are not living among the highly educated and professional class.
You are the one that assumed I meant "All hispanics" simply because I didn't include the word "some".

Why all this nitpickiness over exact words used, when I thought I'd made perfectly clear that I was expressing my observations from the area of town that I live in ?

My intent was to originally express what I thought racism is and isn't. And I don't think reporting on ones own observations around them is racist as long as said person isn't making things up out of thin air about another culture.

Someone could say that white people can't dance, for instance, and it would be true and unracist, as long as it was their opinion from what they had witnessed themselves. Quite frankly it would be true for the most part...we CANT dance as a culture. But I'm not offended by it by any means.

I just think that the PC brigade is all too ready to start pointing fingers at caucasions (can I say that instead of white ? Does it sound less racist ? I mean..I am white after all) for every imagined slight. And the pissing contest over semantics doesn't help. It makes for stilted conversation while we all hold back and try to think of the most PC words we can use without offending someone. It almost makes you not want to interact with someone from another culture for that very reason alone. Who wants to interact with someone they have to tiptoe around in a conversation ? Again, minorities can make all the comments about caucasion culture they want, some may offend me, most probably won't. But it should be equal opportunity here ( If I said Blacks were great dancers for example) but it's not. That's a main point I was trying to express.

Look. I am white..ok ? I don't think I'm superior to anybody because of that. But I also refuse to be ashamed of being white because of awful things my culture may have done to minorities in the past, which I feel sometimes that that is exactly what is expected of me. I also dislike people equally. A jerk is a jerk no matter what color they come in. Generally, I take people on a case by case basis.

I hope you are understanding me a little better now. It's hard to express yourself adequately on a message board, at least for me. Cold words on a screen show only a part of the story of a person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top