U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-07-2011, 10:09 PM
 
1,574 posts, read 789,250 times
Reputation: 124

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
I too resent the term "racist" the way it's thrown around so carelessly these days. Most often when someone from a minority objects to someone not in their minority objecting to something that minority does as a group.

It's also used when someone not of a minority makes an honest observation about something they witness that group doing on a daily basis. I don't think a person is a racist if the observations they make about said minority are in fact true.

For instance: Saying that hispanics shop in family groups is not racist (although I have been labeled as racist for daring to say this on this forum) because it is true. I live in an area with a high concentration of hispanics and I see this everytime I go to the store. It's annoying to me because it's hard to get around these groups of people and it's just not something our culture does.

Another thing that I don't think is racist but is often labeled as such: Why is it wrong to tell another culture (not from America--I don't include blacks in this category) how we do things here (such as not shopping in groups, not littering excessively, not having children excessively, not driving 20 miles below the speed limit--all of which I see on a daily basis) and that they need to assimilate to our ways if they are to stay here ?

A big problem I have with this idea as being somehow "taboo" is that we wouldn't be allowed to go to other countries and maintain "our" culture.

Which leads to my last problem with everything we object to being labeled racism. If we insist on maintaining our culture, as we should be able to if minorities are allowed and even encouraged to maintain their cultures, how does that make us racists ?

Reverse discrimination does exist, but again we're "racists" when we point this out.

IMO it's PCness gone mad. I'm hoping not irreversibly.
So basically, you're making generalizations of entire ethnic groups based on your anecdotal experience, but you don't want to be called racist.

News flash: your behavior is basically the textbook definition of racism.

The fact that it's "true" that you actually saw this behavior isn't really relevant, because the racism isn't the isolated observations, it's the generalization.

As far as maintaining your culture, there's nothing wrong with that. Maintain your culture all you want. I don't see how a big family shopping together at wal-mart or some foreigners driving too slow for you is some sort of human rights violation against you maintaining your culture. It sounds more like "maintaining your culture" means "not having to see anyone else's culture" in your mind ("they need to do things like I like them to be done if they want to stay here").

 
Old 08-08-2011, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Pacific Northwest
1,695 posts, read 1,507,886 times
Reputation: 3289
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
So basically, you're making generalizations of entire ethnic groups based on your anecdotal experience, but you don't want to be called racist.

News flash: your behavior is basically the textbook definition of racism.

The fact that it's "true" that you actually saw this behavior isn't really relevant, because the racism isn't the isolated observations, it's the generalization.

As far as maintaining your culture, there's nothing wrong with that. Maintain your culture all you want. I don't see how a big family shopping together at wal-mart or some foreigners driving too slow for you is some sort of human rights violation against you maintaining your culture. It sounds more like "maintaining your culture" means "not having to see anyone else's culture" in your mind ("they need to do things like I like them to be done if they want to stay here").

Sigh Whatever you say, Rhymetime

I've read many of your posts on this forum and you are one of the people I term as trigger happy with the "racist" card. Therefore, I don't expect you to read any post carefully in regards to this issue.
 
Old 08-08-2011, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Pacific Northwest
1,695 posts, read 1,507,886 times
Reputation: 3289
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy1 View Post
I'm really surprised nobody has tried to call you a racist yet. Usually just the implication that any race other than white has the capability of racial tendancies is instantly welcomed with a "your racist".
Yep. and if you object to that unfair treatment, you're still considered racist.

Notice that white people are the only ones expected to tiptoe around everyone else ? Other races are completely free to refer to me as whitey, ******, gringo, etc without having the "racist" label slapped on them with impunity. Screw 'em. I'm sick of it and from what I've read in this thread a lot of other people are getting sick of it as well.

Give it up "racist" card tossers, PCness is going down.
 
Old 08-08-2011, 10:14 AM
 
8,797 posts, read 9,623,537 times
Reputation: 6689
Video shows white teens driving over, killing black man, says DA - CNN.com
 
Old 08-08-2011, 10:14 AM
 
253 posts, read 155,749 times
Reputation: 145
What exactly is the problem w/showing respect, trying not to generalize, not looking down on others, etc....in other words, that AWFUL PC thing people just cringe about? Is it really that difficult to just look on fellow humans as humans & quit making snap decisions based on their race? Who cares if they do it to whites, as some people say? Take the higher ground. Geez, people claim there is too much PC going around (heaven forbid!!!) but can't see that they themselves are being overly sensitive. Everyone has to live together people, try to remember that.
 
Old 08-08-2011, 10:15 AM
 
1,574 posts, read 789,250 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Sigh Whatever you say, Rhymetime

I've read many of your posts on this forum and you are one of the people I term as trigger happy with the "racist" card. Therefore, I don't expect you to read any post carefully in regards to this issue.
If it quacks like a duck...

Look, I read your post. The fact that you say you're not racist doesn't trump the fact that right after that you went and spewed a bunch of racist baloney.

"They need to shop in smaller groups if they want to stay in the US!!!" Seriously? GMAB. If you don't like being called a racist, stop being one.
 
Old 08-08-2011, 10:18 AM
 
1,574 posts, read 789,250 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy1 View Post
I'm really surprised nobody has tried to call you a racist yet. Usually just the implication that any race other than white has the capability of racial tendancies is instantly welcomed with a "your racist".
What is "the capability of racial tendencies"???

There's a big difference between recognizing that certain cultural/ethnic groups have traditions or have statistically significant tendencies and then jumping from that to drawing conclusions about particular individuals from that.
 
Old 08-08-2011, 10:20 AM
 
1,574 posts, read 789,250 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Yep. and if you object to that unfair treatment, you're still considered racist.

Notice that white people are the only ones expected to tiptoe around everyone else ? Other races are completely free to refer to me as whitey, ******, gringo, etc without having the "racist" label slapped on them with impunity. Screw 'em. I'm sick of it and from what I've read in this thread a lot of other people are getting sick of it as well.

Give it up "racist" card tossers, PCness is going down.
lol

I haven't ignored anyone else making racial slurs.

And here's another news flash for you: the fact that you don't use racial slurs doesn't mean you're not a racist. You apparently don't even understand what racism is, which honestly isn't that surprising.
 
Old 08-08-2011, 10:24 AM
 
Location: TX and NM on the border of the Great Southwest.
11,772 posts, read 15,796,948 times
Reputation: 22443
When anyone tells me they are not racist, I assume that they are a liar as well.
 
Old 08-08-2011, 11:03 AM
 
1,574 posts, read 789,250 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
But the point is that if a white woman says she isn't attracted to black men, she's considered racist. But if a black person says they aren't attracted to white people, it's perfectly ok.
lol

Who considers people racist based on their attraction preferences? I mean, it's fun to "throw this around" because it's basically unprovable either way, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top