U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-11-2011, 10:47 AM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
3,302 posts, read 3,754,492 times
Reputation: 2524

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Do you know anyone who openly declares him/herself being a racist? Probably not, unless you know members of groups such as the Klan.
For me, it's hearing people start talking about how they don't care about the color of skin, but then they endlessly rant and rave about mistakes and shortcomings of another race. I think this is the technique used by talk radio show hosts.
What are the things you look for to determine if a person is a racist or not?
I look at their actions towards others. There are people that do believe blacks are inferior but yet in their everyday lives and dealings with blacks are fair to them. I have seen that. So to me being racist can be by belief or by action. In many cases is by both. Now that I just wrote this I am thinking further deep. Is an individual that thinks that a race is hurting his life in some ways racist if he tries to stop them? Is it because of race of because he is looking for his own self interest. For all I know that person could act the very same way with another race, religious group, culture, ethnic group, etc. If this is the case he may not be racist, he simply disriminates anyone that he feels affects his life, take care.

 
Old 08-12-2011, 08:39 PM
 
Location: USA
4,980 posts, read 8,211,064 times
Reputation: 2506
Originally Posted by Visvaldis
Do you know anyone who openly declares him/herself being a racist? Probably not, unless you know members of groups such as the Klan.
For me, it's hearing people start talking about how they don't care about the color of skin, but then they endlessly rant and rave about mistakes and shortcomings of another race. I think this is the technique used by talk radio show hosts.
What are the things you look for to determine if a person is a racist or not?


Is race just about skin color? If it were, how come people get jobs and scholarships based on it?
 
Old 08-13-2011, 01:13 AM
 
1,351 posts, read 2,358,054 times
Reputation: 1219
I think America's whole obsession about political correctness about race has gone to the heights of absurdity.

If we are all to be honest with ourselves, we all make judgements based on race. If you say that you do not, then you are a liar.

It is only natural to make judgements based on appearance based on a history of observed behavior from that phenotype.

For example, if I am walking down the street late at night, would I be more alarmed if I saw a young Black man dressed in thug gear compared to a young Asian woman dressed conservatively? Unless I was completely stupid, I would be more alarmed if I saw the young Black man dressed as a thug as I rightly should be. I should be alarmed if I had any common sense because from my experience, this phenotype typically displays far more aggressive behavior than the alternative.

Now, could it be possible that this young Black "thug" happened to be a UC Berkeley graduate of astrophysics. Yes. That is possible. Is it likely? HELL NO.

Now, could it be possible that this young Asian woman would be a psychopathic serial killer and suddenly lunge at me with a knife attempting to take my life? Yes it is possible. Likely? No.

I think the true mark of a racist person is someone who would never give someone a chance no matter how qualified or how much they have tried simply due to their race. If I was a racist, I would turn down a highly qualified Black man for a position simply because he is Black. I wouldn't do that. I owned a business before and I have hired many Black employees who presented themselves well and were qualified for the job.

However, if a Black person dressed in ghetto gear, did not pursue an education and thus did not speak standard English, and acted with thuggish behavior, is it wrong for this person to be denied a job? No, it is common sense.

I think there is a difference between common sense and racism. The problem is that American society is now so politically correct to the point where one is expected to drop all common sense in the pursuit of eradicating racism. I think that is just stupidity which will in the end generate greater anger and more racism.
 
Old 08-13-2011, 01:19 AM
 
1,351 posts, read 2,358,054 times
Reputation: 1219
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
I look at their actions towards others. There are people that do believe blacks are inferior but yet in their everyday lives and dealings with blacks are fair to them. I have seen that. So to me being racist can be by belief or by action. In many cases is by both. Now that I just wrote this I am thinking further deep. Is an individual that thinks that a race is hurting his life in some ways racist if he tries to stop them? Is it because of race of because he is looking for his own self interest. For all I know that person could act the very same way with another race, religious group, culture, ethnic group, etc. If this is the case he may not be racist, he simply disriminates anyone that he feels affects his life, take care.
I do not consider Blacks to be inferior. But I do consider the ghetto culture, which is primarily black, but not always, to be inferior. I refuse to tolerate it and I refuse to accept the glorification of it that you often see in the media. It is an ugly, self-destructive, stupid culture and I would always consider it to be the antithesis to any form of civilization.

At the same time, as a student of history, I understand that much of the dysfunction of this ghetto culture has its roots in the historic enslavement, oppression and racism against African Americans. I acknowledge this and this is one of the most shameful chapters of American history. But it doesn't change the fact that ghetto culture is very destructive.

However, does Black = Ghetto or Ghetto = Black? No. Some of the most intelligent and cultured people I've met in my life were Black. Some of the most generous and beautiful people I've met were Black.

In the end, the world is too complex to simply generalize based on race. But I do have to say that not all cultures are equal, some have better values than others. Also, I'm not saying that Black culture equals ghetto culture, because there are large numbers of educated hardworking Black folks. But at the same time, I am against the political correctness in this country that turns a blind eye to some jarring realities that we all see on a day to day basis.
 
Old 08-13-2011, 08:19 PM
 
1,574 posts, read 788,760 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
I think America's whole obsession about political correctness about race has gone to the heights of absurdity.

If we are all to be honest with ourselves, we all make judgements based on race. If you say that you do not, then you are a liar.
Of course everyone has irrational biases.

The question is: do you embrace that bias or do you try to root it out? Do you recognize that it is counterproductive and try to minimize its destructive influence on your decision making or do you just throw your hands up and let it take over?
 
Old 08-13-2011, 09:09 PM
 
2,739 posts, read 4,072,290 times
Reputation: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Do you know anyone who openly declares him/herself being a racist? Probably not, unless you know members of groups such as the Klan.
For me, it's hearing people start talking about how they don't care about the color of skin, but then they endlessly rant and rave about mistakes and shortcomings of another race. I think this is the technique used by talk radio show hosts.
What are the things you look for to determine if a person is a racist or not?
I believe everybody is racist and I am halfway racist. While, I would vote and pay money to keep America mostly white, I would never harm my neighbors who are of color, or anyone of color who is living in the US. I would however vote against the politicians and the business people who brought them here.

Frankly, I don't care what anybody says to counter because I believe that everybody is racist.
 
Old 08-15-2011, 08:20 AM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
3,302 posts, read 3,754,492 times
Reputation: 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
I do not consider Blacks to be inferior. But I do consider the ghetto culture, which is primarily black, but not always, to be inferior. I refuse to tolerate it and I refuse to accept the glorification of it that you often see in the media. It is an ugly, self-destructive, stupid culture and I would always consider it to be the antithesis to any form of civilization.

At the same time, as a student of history, I understand that much of the dysfunction of this ghetto culture has its roots in the historic enslavement, oppression and racism against African Americans. I acknowledge this and this is one of the most shameful chapters of American history. But it doesn't change the fact that ghetto culture is very destructive.

However, does Black = Ghetto or Ghetto = Black? No. Some of the most intelligent and cultured people I've met in my life were Black. Some of the most generous and beautiful people I've met were Black.

In the end, the world is too complex to simply generalize based on race. But I do have to say that not all cultures are equal, some have better values than others. Also, I'm not saying that Black culture equals ghetto culture, because there are large numbers of educated hardworking Black folks. But at the same time, I am against the political correctness in this country that turns a blind eye to some jarring realities that we all see on a day to day basis.
Very balanced and insightful comment as far as I am concerned.Take care.
 
Old 08-15-2011, 08:24 AM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
3,302 posts, read 3,754,492 times
Reputation: 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I believe everybody is racist and I am halfway racist. While, I would vote and pay money to keep America mostly white, I would never harm my neighbors who are of color, or anyone of color who is living in the US. I would however vote against the politicians and the business people who brought them here.

Frankly, I don't care what anybody says to counter because I believe that everybody is racist.
We differ on this one. How many are racists in some ways may be hard to prove. However, as in any rule in life there are exceptions. There are people that are not racist. With this in mind they may act against a certain race because of some political difference, environment, etc. but not necessarily because of the color of the skin. If the same circumstances applied to a religious, ethnic, cultural group that same individual may still act the same way but in that case it was not against blacks or orientals. I had an aversion against another cultural group but that had nothing to do with race. Did I discriminate against them? No. I simply did not care to associate with them. To me that is different. It is no different that what most people do. We tend to associate with people that have more commonality with us, birds of the same feather flock together, Take care.
 
Old 08-15-2011, 10:22 AM
 
5 posts, read 3,383 times
Reputation: 10
At least these perpetrators were caught, and justice will be served. If you check youtube there are many incidents of blacks attacking whites in similarly racially motivated hate crimes. It seems many get away with it. When president Obama decided to make the case regarding Louis Gates, a Harvard Univ professor, and the Cambridge,MA police dept a national issue in spite of not having all the facts, he probably didn't realize that that there were numerous hate crimes based on race occurring at that time, that were being ignored. This really put his presidency in perspective, because it appeared he was indicating, "Yes, I'm president, but I'm still going to make black issues a priority.
 
Old 08-15-2011, 10:39 AM
 
253 posts, read 155,638 times
Reputation: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79912 View Post
This really put his presidency in perspective, because it appeared he was indicating, "Yes, I'm president, but I'm still going to make black issues a priority.
Ah no, not even remotely.
A reporter asked him a question, he answered it. Case closed. Moving on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top