U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 11:58 AM

1,574 posts, read 790,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I believe everybody is racist and I am halfway racist. While, I would vote and pay money to keep America mostly white, I would never harm my neighbors who are of color, or anyone of color who is living in the US. I would however vote against the politicians and the business people who brought them here.

Frankly, I don't care what anybody says to counter because I believe that everybody is racist.
So you wouldn't harm people but you'd pay money for someone else to forcibly keep them away from you?

Yeah, you're more than "halfway racist."

Old 08-16-2011, 12:25 AM

2,739 posts, read 4,077,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
So you wouldn't harm people but you'd pay money for someone else to forcibly keep them away from you?

Yeah, you're more than "halfway racist."
You're more than halfway racist too. Everybody is racist, in my book. Yes, I would donate to political causes that keep out 3rd world people, halt immigration, and causes that would throw people out.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:05 AM

4,464 posts, read 9,643,842 times
Please keep the replies compliant with the Great Debates rules found here from this point on. Previous posts in this thread will not be addressed, but future ones will.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:03 AM

1,362 posts, read 1,491,794 times
Racism = Hatred/Ignorance/Social Conditioning = Fear

Will there be a moment in time when racism does not exist? Yes, when Alien invaders from another galaxy decide to take over Earth.

Last edited by TheViking85; 08-16-2011 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: Don't need all those questionmarks.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:50 PM

34,633 posts, read 42,792,739 times
I just heard a story today. My former boss is a born salesman and draws other people to her like a magnet. Young, old, black, white, gay, straight,; it does not matter, she had deep, cordial business relationships with all kinds of people. She decided to leave and take a job as the business manager to a car dealership...a job she was well qualified for. The owner was a former customer of ours whom she thought she knew.
What I'm getting to is that, besides the owner, she is the only white person who works there. It has only been a few weeks and the black women who work there have made her life a living hell for no reason other than she is white. The place is like a snake pit of misery.
She will hopefully find a different job soon, but it's just a shame that this dear, caring woman was treated this way.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:35 PM

645 posts, read 1,069,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Klato View Post
Racism = Hatred/Ignorance/Social Conditioning = Fear
I don’t agree with these statements. The roots of racism are as complex as the end results. With the following, I will try to speak only for myself, but probably fail miserably.

First, let me declare that I suffer from racial discrimination, bigotry, and ageism. I also discriminate against social status, looks, and religion. This goes both ways, and by that I mean, I can favor or dislike you just based on your entire background of the aforementioned traits. I could go on and on with this, and is it learned? I haven’t a clue. I’ve met too many people from similar backgrounds that have completely different and or varying views, so I think that all forms of discrimination are vastly complex and cannot be described with simple words.

I favor southern Italian, Mediterranean, and Hispanic women. I love raven haired olive skinned gypsy women, which are completely different from my very light skin, light hair, and light eyes, so I'm racist against my own kind.

My outright racism: I will never date or have sex with a black woman because I do not find any of them attractive. I find them so unattractive that I barely even notice them. I love stick straight shiny dark hair, with a dense hair count, and a low straight hairline devoid of a widow’s peak, so this also excludes many white women, further discrimination against many of my own race.

When I see a white woman with a man that’s not white, I instantly think coal-burner. If she’s with a light skinned Hispanic man, I look down on her despite the fact that I’ve dated some rather dark Hispanic women myself.

I find Asian women, save for Indians, unattractive. I don’t like their eyes or bodys, and many of them lack a bridge on their nose. Additionally, their culture and language is just too foreign to me.

I do not like, care to be around, and sometimes outwardly loathe all black Americas. This is due to their culture and my bad experiences with it, so race isn’t why I dislike and sometimes hate them. It’s how the vast majority of them act.

Blacks raised by whites from a similar background as myself. I don’t see them as being black. To me black means, “Ignorant black African American born and raised here by black culutre that doesn’t even have a basic understanding of the English language.” Hence, blacks raised by whites, black Hispanics, and blacks from other parts of the world do not fall under my definition of black. Therefore, It’s the culture not the skin color.

Having lived with many different races and cultures, I’d say that everybody, bar none, has some form of discrimination in them. Even devout Christians have faults. After all, wasn’t Jesus the only perfect person to walk the face of the earth? Back to reality though. When I’m dealing with people that discriminate against me for whatever reason that I cannot help, I generally remove that person from my life. If it involves my changing where I like to shop, work, or whatever, I will change that just to avoid the discrimination, but the bottom line is that no matter what I do, I’m always going to find somebody that hates me because I’m tall, my age, I’m Catholic, I no longer believe in God or attend mass, I was in the Marine Corps, I went to Catholic School, I’m Pennsylvania Dutch, I’m a man, I’m working class, I’ve had a partial college education, which I need to finish, etc etc etc. I’ve had people bash me because I drive Fords and other domestic vehicles.

Everybody in the world has some degree of bigotry, sexism, racism etc. To deny it is saying that you’re a perfect person. This thread is spot on. Most people do deny being racist, but yet it shows up in their actions, words, and the like. I’ve busted more than one friend that claimed to not be racist for making comments, decisions and the like based on race.

You can flame me all you like, but I am not an idiot. If I were, I wouldn’t have been able to properly spell and punctuate. Moreover, no idiot would be capable of intelligently wording what I’ve written, so it’s obvious that at a bare minimum I possess average intelligence, education, and the like. You can call me racist, but what good will it do? I’ve openly admitted it.

By the way, my name bolillo is my real life nickname. My many northern Mexican friends gave it to me. Additionally, depending upon the context with which it’s used, it’s also a mild racial slur.

I haven’t said this for a while, but what’s right isn’t always popular and what’s popular isn’t always right, so talking about the obvious that most of us possess just isn’t going to sit well with faux liberals...

Old 08-18-2011, 03:28 PM

1,362 posts, read 1,491,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
I donít agree with these statements. The roots of racism are as complex as the end results. With the following, I will try to speak only for myself, but probably fail miserably.

First, let me declare that I suffer from racial discrimination, bigotry, and ageism. I also discriminate against social status, looks, and religion. This goes both ways, and by that I mean, I can favor or dislike you just based on your entire background of the aforementioned traits. I could go on and on with this, and is it learned? I havenít a clue. Iíve met too many people from similar backgrounds that have completely different and or varying views, so I think that all forms of discrimination are vastly complex and cannot be described with simple words.

I favor southern Italian, Mediterranean, and Hispanic women. I love raven haired olive skinned gypsy women, which are completely different from my very light skin, light hair, and light eyes, so I'm racist against my own kind.

My outright racism: I will never date or have sex with a black woman because I do not find any of them attractive. I find them so unattractive that I barely even notice them. I love stick straight shiny dark hair, with a dense hair count, and a low straight hairline devoid of a widowís peak, so this also excludes many white women, further discrimination against many of my own race.

When I see a white woman with a man thatís not white, I instantly think coal-burner. If sheís with a light skinned Hispanic man, I look down on her despite the fact that Iíve dated some rather dark Hispanic women myself.

I find Asian women, save for Indians, unattractive. I donít like their eyes or bodys, and many of them lack a bridge on their nose. Additionally, their culture and language is just too foreign to me.

I do not like, care to be around, and sometimes outwardly loathe all black Americas. This is due to their culture and my bad experiences with it, so race isnít why I dislike and sometimes hate them. Itís how the vast majority of them act.

Blacks raised by whites from a similar background as myself. I donít see them as being black. To me black means, ďIgnorant black African American born and raised here by black culutre that doesnít even have a basic understanding of the English language.Ē Hence, blacks raised by whites, black Hispanics, and blacks from other parts of the world do not fall under my definition of black. Therefore, Itís the culture not the skin color.

Having lived with many different races and cultures, Iíd say that everybody, bar none, has some form of discrimination in them. Even devout Christians have faults. After all, wasnít Jesus the only perfect person to walk the face of the earth? Back to reality though. When Iím dealing with people that discriminate against me for whatever reason that I cannot help, I generally remove that person from my life. If it involves my changing where I like to shop, work, or whatever, I will change that just to avoid the discrimination, but the bottom line is that no matter what I do, Iím always going to find somebody that hates me because Iím tall, my age, Iím Catholic, I no longer believe in God or attend mass, I was in the Marine Corps, I went to Catholic School, Iím Pennsylvania Dutch, Iím a man, Iím working class, Iíve had a partial college education, which I need to finish, etc etc etc. Iíve had people bash me because I drive Fords and other domestic vehicles.

Everybody in the world has some degree of bigotry, sexism, racism etc. To deny it is saying that youíre a perfect person. This thread is spot on. Most people do deny being racist, but yet it shows up in their actions, words, and the like. Iíve busted more than one friend that claimed to not be racist for making comments, decisions and the like based on race.

You can flame me all you like, but I am not an idiot. If I were, I wouldnít have been able to properly spell and punctuate. Moreover, no idiot would be capable of intelligently wording what Iíve written, so itís obvious that at a bare minimum I possess average intelligence, education, and the like. You can call me racist, but what good will it do? Iíve openly admitted it.

By the way, my name bolillo is my real life nickname. My many northern Mexican friends gave it to me. Additionally, depending upon the context with which itís used, itís also a mild racial slur.

I havenít said this for a while, but whatís right isnít always popular and whatís popular isnít always right, so talking about the obvious that most of us possess just isnít going to sit well with faux liberals...
I never said i have not been racist or been the victim of racism. In my opinion, Racism = Hatred/Ignorance/Social Conditioning = Fear is usually the formula. Fear is usually the root cause for this emotion. And fear is an innate emotion that is ingrained in humanity. I don't believe that racism will or can be expunged from humanity since fear lives in the heart of mankind. Humanity will find a fault in another human whether it is race, gender, age, appearance, social status, etc.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:37 PM

3,413 posts, read 6,318,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
I do not consider Blacks to be inferior. But I do consider the ghetto culture, which is primarily black, but not always, to be inferior. I refuse to tolerate it and I refuse to accept the glorification of it that you often see in the media. It is an ugly, self-destructive, stupid culture and I would always consider it to be the antithesis to any form of civilization.

At the same time, as a student of history, I understand that much of the dysfunction of this ghetto culture has its roots in the historic enslavement, oppression and racism against African Americans. I acknowledge this and this is one of the most shameful chapters of American history. But it doesn't change the fact that ghetto culture is very destructive.

However, does Black = Ghetto or Ghetto = Black? No. Some of the most intelligent and cultured people I've met in my life were Black. Some of the most generous and beautiful people I've met were Black.

In the end, the world is too complex to simply generalize based on race. But I do have to say that not all cultures are equal, some have better values than others. Also, I'm not saying that Black culture equals ghetto culture, because there are large numbers of educated hardworking Black folks. But at the same time, I am against the political correctness in this country that turns a blind eye to some jarring realities that we all see on a day to day basis.
Great Post! Don't forget generational welfare as one of the vilest things that can ever be perpetrated on an unsuspecting people. Nothing kills the the good, the noble, the honorable in people quicker than the "unearned".

Old 08-19-2011, 10:37 AM

645 posts, read 1,069,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Klato View Post
I never said i have not been racist or been the victim of racism. In my opinion, Racism = Hatred/Ignorance/Social Conditioning = Fear is usually the formula. Fear is usually the root cause for this emotion. And fear is an innate emotion that is ingrained in humanity. I don't believe that racism will or can be expunged from humanity since fear lives in the heart of mankind. Humanity will find a fault in another human whether it is race, gender, age, appearance, social status, etc.
And it's my contention that racism is far more involved than a simple explanation the likes of hatred, ignorance, social conditioning, and fear. It’s far more complex than that, and it’s my belief that much of it is biologically hard coded in every person on this planet.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:52 PM

3,374 posts, read 4,559,910 times
Do not know if this has already been mentioned, but the I believe the on-going trend of outsourcing/off-shoring jobs and production has really brought out the true colors in some.
Some individuals can maintain tolerance up to a certain point.
But when something they've grown to doing for many years gets taken away and their forced to take on some other type of job or a lower-wage, they'll naturally lash out at whichever group seems convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or