U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-19-2011, 09:25 PM
 
Location: earth?
7,288 posts, read 10,366,635 times
Reputation: 8956

Advertisements

I think of it as mostly unconscious bias . . .

No one likes to think of themselves negatively, in any way.

And people get all bent-out-of-shape if they ARE racist and someone calls them on it, because of PRIVILEGE. They are ABLE to be racist in their lives and it works for them . . . it's called the dominant paradigm . . .people who have rank in Western society are white males. They are not conscious of the rank because they have always had it, so they know nothing different.

If people are completely honest with themselves, they will take some time and think about ANY problem that they have and then IMAGINE what it would be like to have that problem AND be a person of color . . . or a woman . . . or a child . . . or anyone else who does not have rank in the society.

Life is hard for everyone but racists don't acknowledge their privilege.

You can spot them when they "protest too much," claim they are being discriminated against, argue there is such a thing as "reverse racism," deflect or minimize their rank, claim to be a victim somehow (Affirmative Action doesn't apply to them, so IT'S NOT FAIR, whine, whine . . . it's mostly the whining that gives them away.

 
Old 08-20-2011, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Paranoid State
12,679 posts, read 9,425,981 times
Reputation: 14933
I like what comedian Chris Rock said about the Obama election.

"I didn't vote for Obama because he's black. I voted for Obama because I'M black."
 
Old 08-21-2011, 09:08 AM
 
645 posts, read 1,067,966 times
Reputation: 1764
I believe that this is true of all people on this planet. Racism is just like anger. Itís a natural emotion/feeling. What determines if weíre bad people is how we react when weíre dealing with everyday situations. Providing that we keep it in check, we wonít violate the laws of society, but it doesn't mean that we're not racist in some fashion, shape, or form. It's a vastly gray area. To make blanketing statements about racism in people is just as ignorant as being racist and making blanketing statements due to somebody's color.

When youíre in a crowd, look around you. Everybody that you see thinks that they are in some way superior to everybody around them in some fashion. To be proud of being white, black, or whatever race you come from is so ridiculous because you had absolutely no choice in the matter. This is also true for sex, age and height. With everything Iíve just mentioned, people have absolutely no control over, so itís rather ironic that people pride themselves on these issues.

What I find most alarming is that white people and white men especially are openly and freely slammed all the time about being racist and are discriminated against, yet blacks have a free pass to dole out as much racism as they want. I rarely watch black comedians because of how many are openly racist, yet if a white man stood up and made such comments, weíd have a witch hunt. There are entire groups that are set up and are race exclusive, yet theyíre by and large openly accepted by society because they donít cater towards white people. Itís also forced down our throats by the government, so is it any surprise that many people are resentful? These programs breed contention where none would normally exist.
 
Old 08-21-2011, 11:51 AM
 
15 posts, read 13,210 times
Reputation: 24
I realize that I am racist. I try not never judge people on appearance, or anything other outward feature (like the sound of their voice, and I fail miserably with the sound of people's voice; I like articulate British people, while I really hate Val speak). The other day I walked into a subway in which the servers were three very attractive girls. These girls were at the model level of pretty, and me, being a twenty-something year old male was fairly surprised at subway's apparent leap in attractiveness of their servers. Then I hear their accents and it so sacred me, that I walked out. They were Eastern European, almost certainly Ukrainian. In my mind I associate Ukraine with black markets and underground crime. Especially with the importation of attractive females for unfortunate purposes. I found that I was racist against attractive Eastern European girls. Not because I think that they have qualities making them less than anyone else, but because I have problems with my stereotypes of their culture. Of course, I could be right in my assumption and they really could be sex slaves sent over here on some boat, but honestly, how likely is that? And why would they be working at subway? Afterwards I thought in my mind, "damn, I'm racist".
 
Old 08-27-2011, 05:43 AM
 
Location: The United States of Amnesia
1,362 posts, read 1,489,327 times
Reputation: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
And it's my contention that racism is far more involved than a simple explanation the likes of hatred, ignorance, social conditioning, and fear. Itís far more complex than that, and itís my belief that much of it is biologically hard coded in every person on this planet.
Usually a simple explanation is usually the answer. "biologically hard coded in every person on this planet" = This i disagree. I have never seen little kids being racist towards one another unless they have been raised to discriminate against a certain race by parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
I believe that this is true of all people on this planet. Racism is just like anger. Itís a natural emotion/feeling. What determines if weíre bad people is how we react when weíre dealing with everyday situations. Providing that we keep it in check, we wonít violate the laws of society, but it doesn't mean that we're not racist in some fashion, shape, or form. It's a vastly gray area. To make blanketing statements about racism in people is just as ignorant as being racist and making blanketing statements due to somebody's color.
I believe that Racism is a byproduct of a natural human emotio (fear)n NOT an innate emotion. Since humanity does not embrace itself as one entity but seperates itself via race, skin color, religion etc. We will always have racist feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
When youíre in a crowd, look around you. Everybody that you see thinks that they are in some way superior to everybody around them in some fashion. To be proud of being white, black, or whatever race you come from is so ridiculous because you had absolutely no choice in the matter. This is also true for sex, age and height. With everything Iíve just mentioned, people have absolutely no control over, so itís rather ironic that people pride themselves on these issues.
I agree with the bold statement.
 
Old 08-27-2011, 08:45 PM
 
44,568 posts, read 43,103,689 times
Reputation: 14375
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
I believe that this is true of all people on this planet. Racism is just like anger. Itís a natural emotion/feeling. What determines if weíre bad people is how we react when weíre dealing with everyday situations. Providing that we keep it in check, we wonít violate the laws of society, but it doesn't mean that we're not racist in some fashion, shape, or form. It's a vastly gray area. To make blanketing statements about racism in people is just as ignorant as being racist and making blanketing statements due to somebody's color.

When youíre in a crowd, look around you. Everybody that you see thinks that they are in some way superior to everybody around them in some fashion. To be proud of being white, black, or whatever race you come from is so ridiculous because you had absolutely no choice in the matter. This is also true for sex, age and height. With everything Iíve just mentioned, people have absolutely no control over, so itís rather ironic that people pride themselves on these issues.

What I find most alarming is that white people and white men especially are openly and freely slammed all the time about being racist and are discriminated against, yet blacks have a free pass to dole out as much racism as they want. I rarely watch black comedians because of how many are openly racist, yet if a white man stood up and made such comments, weíd have a witch hunt. There are entire groups that are set up and are race exclusive, yet theyíre by and large openly accepted by society because they donít cater towards white people. Itís also forced down our throats by the government, so is it any surprise that many people are resentful? These programs breed contention where none would normally exist.
People have absolutely no control over what race they are, so to be racist, I do consider it to be something horrible.

And the "catering to one race" thing, this is historical. Back in the 1920s and 1930s, there was a program that would give assistance to poor women whose husbands either left them or passed away. This program was open only to White women. Black women weren't allowed to participate. In a way it's ironic because it was always Black people who get stereotyped as "lazy" and they have historically had to work harder than anyone else to get the same thing.

There has always been resentment and tension in race relations. It just came to a head in the 1960s. When it will happen again, well, only time can tell.
 
Old 08-28-2011, 10:44 AM
 
Location: USA
18,537 posts, read 13,678,653 times
Reputation: 12125
People and all animals are naturally discriminatory be nature. The way someone looks: Color, Sex, Weight, size, features, the way they dress all evoke emotions and responses some innate some learned. In the true sense of the word we are all Racist, Sexist, discriminating people just at different levels.

How we choose to respond is what determines are potential for growth. The best way for growth in my life has been to put myself in the other persons shoes or in the case of black and white issues is to have a multitude of friends that are of other races. When your friends or relatives tell you of discriminatory situations they have been through it is the easiest way for you to understand their point of view and to open your mind to the cause.

On the surface I have been against Affirmative Action and programs that are directed at one specific race. In actuality if we are putting time and effort into a disenfranchised group and lending a hand in their future improvement socially and financially helps all of us as a country. People in this country of all races are our fellow Americans and what helps bring them up brings us all up, socially and financially
.

Like they say "A mind is a terrible thing to waste" and we all have one! (Or most of us anyway)
 
Old 08-28-2011, 02:41 PM
 
Location: On the Ohio River in Western, KY
3,388 posts, read 5,542,188 times
Reputation: 3332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Do you know anyone who openly declares him/herself being a racist? Probably not, unless you know members of groups such as the Klan.
For me, it's hearing people start talking about how they don't care about the color of skin, but then they endlessly rant and rave about mistakes and shortcomings of another race. I think this is the technique used by talk radio show hosts.
What are the things you look for to determine if a person is a racist or not?
Everyone on this planet is a racist. It's human nature. Fear of the unknown breeds hate and racism.

Will I lock my car doors and roll up the windows when driving in "bad neighborhoods"? YES, and for that alone, I am a racist.

Now, by no means am I to the extent where I want to harm those of another race, religion, or color; but everyone takes stock of other people quickly with a cursory glance, and then judges them due to that information.
 
Old 08-29-2011, 08:35 AM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
3,302 posts, read 3,755,085 times
Reputation: 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Everyone on this planet is a racist. It's human nature. Fear of the unknown breeds hate and racism.

Will I lock my car doors and roll up the windows when driving in "bad neighborhoods"? YES, and for that alone, I am a racist.

Now, by no means am I to the extent where I want to harm those of another race, religion, or color; but everyone takes stock of other people quickly with a cursory glance, and then judges them due to that information.
I do not agree that everybody is racists. If I lock my car because I am a bad neigborhood does not mean it is because of race, security. I I go to a bad neigborhood I do not care if it mostly hispanic, like I am, or black, or anything. I usually lock it all the time regardless where I am though. Fear of the unkown may be a factor but it is not necessarily true all the time. If I fear the unkown I may act accordingly but not so much because I do not know about another race and I fear them, because I simply do not know much. It is not different that if I go to a jungle and I fear what is there, lions?, it is because I am a lionist. It is a precaution. Even if I do not want anything to do with lions it is because of the danger I may percieve but if I simply leave them alone and let them live their lives that is not lionist.
At most I may discrimintae due to the circumstances, not so much because of a race.
I have gone to bad neigborhood where mostly people are hispanic. I assure you I am not a racist against my own group. I am proud to be hispanic and associate with my hispanic brothers.
Now, if I lock a door where mostly people are blacks you may say I am racist, I may disriminate at most but not because they are black but because of the situation. I would not have a problem associating with blacks at all.
There is a difference between being a racist and distriminating. Discrimintaing is not bad per say depending what is the intent behind it. I know I am not racist because in my 32 years of military career I was able to visit about 25 countries and about 25 states and I never had a problem associating with anyone of any race. I actually was proactive in looking for people and make friends regardless of race. I actually was more picky with some hispanics because we differed on certain things. Discriminating does not necessarily mean be mean or act against other groups to harm them or interfere in their rights as citizens and human beings, take care.
 
Old 09-06-2011, 10:37 AM
 
1,081 posts, read 1,699,128 times
Reputation: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Do you know anyone who openly declares him/herself being a racist? Probably not, unless you know members of groups such as the Klan.
For me, it's hearing people start talking about how they don't care about the color of skin, but then they endlessly rant and rave about mistakes and shortcomings of another race. I think this is the technique used by talk radio show hosts.
What are the things you look for to determine if a person is a racist or not?
Perhaps who you could say - My friend is coming over his from this country, or I an married to a person from this race, or invite them out with all your friends of a certain colour - and see what say, or check out there face.

Or indeed start critising certain races, and see what their reaction is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top