U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 11:37 PM
Ohs

236 posts, read 627,870 times

Advertisements

I guess you would consider me racist I would consider myself more of an observant person and everyone has to organize thoughts into some type of grouping and yes peoples' commonalities can be grouped this way. So call it what ever you want but certain cultures can be grouped for commonalities which isn't a bad or good thing it's just a way of organizing information.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:47 PM

1,613 posts, read 2,328,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Here's an example. Today was Jackie robinson Day in the Major Leagues. Every player wore number 42, which has been permanantly retired by all teams. Today, it would have been unthinkable to NOT wear number 42. Tomorrow it will be unthinkable to wear it. By what logic is it appropriate to wear Robinson's number on some days but not others, according to some greed-motivated edict?

Why would a player comply? Because everybody else did? How does it honor Robinson to do what everybody else mindlessly does? Robinson wouldn't have, and that's what made him worth honoring.

Or, because the profiteers in baseball marketing made extra bucks by proclaiming it? What if a player said "I refuse", not out of disrespect for Robinson, but out of disrespect for the people using Robinson's name for profit.

No. Every player complied because he would be called a racist if he didn't, and they all remember what happened to John Rocker. Nobody retired his uniform number. He opened his eyes and looked around and told somebody what he saw, and spent the rest of his career in Opprobrium

I have many friends who would call me a racist if they read this.
It would seem that the logic in wearing the number would be in the day declared to celebrate his career. Im not totally up on my baseball history but if this day was the anniversary of the day he entered the majors then it makes even more sense.

It would not be OK to wear it tomorrow because his number has been permanently by MLB.

And what exactly has John Rocker done on the field to garner respect? he shot off his mouth and blew out his arm and was last seen on an independent team. Jackie Robinson was not only the first MLB black player, but was an incredible player. Suggesting that Rocker's uniform should be retired is laughable.

If your friends call you racist for saying something like that...well who knows, they could be onto something... they know you well enough to make that judgement.

From reading your post i'd just call you uninformed.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Here's an example. Today was Jackie Robinson Day in the Major Leagues. Every player wore number 42, which has been permanantly retired by all teams. Today, it would have been unthinkable to NOT wear number 42. Tomorrow it will be unthinkable to wear it. By what logic is it appropriate to wear Robinson's number on some days but not others, according to some greed-motivated edict?

Why would a player comply? Because everybody else did? How does it honor Robinson to do what everybody else mindlessly does? Robinson wouldn't have, and that's what made him worth honoring.

Or, because the profiteers in baseball marketing made extra bucks by proclaiming it? What if a player said "I refuse", not out of disrespect for Robinson, but out of disrespect for the people using Robinson's name for a high-profit publicity stunt.

No. Every player complied because he would be called a racist if he didn't, and they all remember what happened to John Rocker. Nobody retired his uniform number. He was a farm boy from Georgia, who got on the New York train and opened his eyes and looked around and told somebody what he saw, and spent the rest of his career in Opprobrium

I have many friends who would call me a racist if they read this.

By the way, for what it's worth, I went to our college baseball game today. The visiting team was from a historically black university, and most of the players were black. No reference was made at the game to the fact that today MLB was honoring the removal of the color bar. It thought it should have been mentioned. We beat them 14-2 and 11-1, and the consolation might have helped.
If a plahyer truly felt that they didn't want to participate, then im sure if they articulated their views properly and with class their excuse would be accepted.

John Rocker had no class.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:28 AM

6 posts, read 8,641 times
Racism an ugly word, but real, how will you know that they are racists...when you see it as long as i have seen it, you will be able to smell it and feel it...

Most of the time, they will attempt to be superior over you. They have no respect for you. Very few times will they give you direct eye contact

and if you see them in top management position, you can believe they are posted through out the company. If you see someone who looks like you, believe me he or she just has your skin color.....you can not be free, really free at birth and be in management with a racists management. Reason being, you will look, act, speak superior like them and that can't be

just go to memorial hospital jim crow is alive and well

Old 04-16-2009, 01:16 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,574,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post

And what exactly has John Rocker done on the field to garner respect? he shot off his mouth and blew out his arm and was last seen on an independent team. Jackie Robinson was not only the first MLB black player, but was an incredible player. Suggesting that Rocker's uniform should be retired is laughable.
Please copy and paste what is appearing on your screen that led you to believe I was comparing Rocker to Robinson. Or that I thought Rocker's number should be retired. I'd be interested in seeing that.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:02 AM

3,566 posts, read 4,491,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
I never said the person was hypothetical, these are people I know. And the jokes are told to other people, just not people of that race (for obvious reasons). So you're saying joking about stereotypes = racism then?

If the only way that there is humor is through stereotypes and those jokes cannot be repeated for obvious reasons-then yeah, your a bit of a racist. Here is the thing: just not people of that race for obvious reasons.

Yes, Bev, I see that.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:20 AM

and they all remember what happened to John Rocker. Nobody retired his uniform number. He was a farm boy from Georgia, who got on the New York train and opened his eyes and looked around and told somebody what he saw, and spent the rest of his career in Opprobrium

Quote:
Please copy and paste what is appearing on your screen that led you to believe I was comparing Rocker to Robinson. Or that I thought Rocker's number should be retired. I'd be interested in seeing that.
The line "nobody retired his number" seems to try to make a link between the two players baseed on their situations regarding racial issues.

If that is not what you meant then why even mention that fact?

Old 04-16-2009, 06:48 AM

3,065 posts, read 5,281,869 times
I'm critical of most anyone who is not like me. That's just about everyone.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:20 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,089,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Do you know anyone who openly declares him/herself being a racist? Probably not, unless you know members of groups such as the Klan.
For me, it's hearing people start talking about how they don't care about the color of skin, but then they endlessly rant and rave about mistakes and shortcomings of another race. I think this is the technique used by talk radio show hosts.
What are the things you look for to determine if a person is a racist or not?
What type of racism are you speaking of? Like white on others...or what? I'm curious as to what exactly you are getting at. Just get to the point please.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:21 AM

8,798 posts, read 9,623,537 times
Lets be blunt here, most true racist don't hide the fact that they either hate other races or that they feel superior to them. Many of them will bragg to others about their ideology. Many black people know of other black people who will tell them they don't like whites, and many whites know of other whites who will make it clear that they don't like minorities. The same thing goes for all other ethnic groups. IMO no one is secretly racist, at least not to every one they know. I dont know of any one who has a "racist radar detector", for instance if you google a picture of William Allen White he looks like a pretty typical Klansman of the 1920's, but in fact he was their worst enemy forcing them out of Kansas or at least underground. I have had white people tell me who to beware of and where to be care about going, and I have told them the same. In some ways we are a nation of cowards because we won't R.T.O. (Rat Them Out)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or