Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 05:52 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

The first black baseball player in the Major Leagues. He was drummed out of the league by Hall of Famer Cap Anson. If anybody favored Moses Fleetwood Walker remaining in the major leagues, they did not have to guts to speak up. Where was the John Rocker of 1884 to stand up and say what was politically incorrect, and make Jackie Robinson unnecessary.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-26-2010 at 11:02 AM..

Old 04-16-2009, 06:41 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I'm now defending Rocker because he was a victim of character assassination because he had the courage to say what he thought

At the outset, I was not defending Rocker. I held him up as an example of what the media does to athletes and entertainers who say what they think. To explain why everybody wore 42 that day, despite the obvious self-serving hypocrisy of those who stage what is now an annual pageantry.
Can someone fill me on John Rocker? I always heard people call him a racist, just never heard the story...

Old 04-16-2009, 06:57 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,680 times
Quote:
The only thing Rocker lacked was the media savvy to know that a reporter would hang him out to dry for a buck. Which is why superstar Steve Carlton and a number of other players made it a policy to say absolutely nothing, ever, if there was a media representative within 100 yards. Rocker probably had no idea that the writer would quote everything he said about every topic, and that everything was supposedly on the record. Even Ted Williams learned that the hard way in the 1930s and the media didn't forgive him until he was in a walker, too senile to say what he thought.

Players (and entertainers) learn early that you keep your mouth shut, no matter how valid your point or how diplomatically you say it. Many the hard way. Curt Schilling was treated unkindly by the media for outspoken Conservative pro-administration views. How in the hell does Manny Ramirez articulate his point in a professional manner? The very young Rocker, still green from the sticks, did not yet learn that very hard lesson.

And you're telling me that there is a way a player could explain that he is not wearing 42 because it is being exploited in a media circus?

By the way, Rocker "handled the situation" pretty well, comparatively. He was loudly booed when he apologized, at Shea Stadium where he retired the Mets in order, while New York fans "used common sense to handle the situation", chanting "a$$hole a$$hole" and throwing batteries at him. Not one New York fan apologized to him for that.
Yes, I think that if articulated correctly, a player can put forth his intentions.

Rocker didn't apologize until forced by the Braves. I agree two wrongs don't make a right, but he should have thought about that before his acions.

If you are saying that he truly had the guts to say what he thought, then why would he feel the need to apologize?

Old 04-16-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Can someone fill me on John Rocker? I always heard people call him a racist, just never heard the story...

There is a Wikipedia on him:

John Rocker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-16-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
I'm now defending Rocker because he was a victim of character assassination because he had the courage to say what he thought

At the outset, I was not defending Rocker. I held him up as an example of what the media does to athletes and entertainers who say what they think. To explain why everybody wore 42 that day, despite the obvious self-serving hypocrisy of those who stage what is now an annual pageantry.
Yesterday was the 62nd anniversary when he broke into the majors. It is still a significant event. I'm not sure how it can be considered "annual pagentry"

Anyway, maybe the players who don't agree with the day of symbolisim need to ask themselves why. Is it truly because they feel it's "annual pagentry" or what?

If they are honest with themselves and feel that its annual pagentry then they should stick to their guns - in a professional manner.

Somehow, IMO any player who feels like this may not be truthful and would be hiding behind that story to cover up their real feelings.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
The first black baseball player in the Major Leagues. He was drummed out of the league by Hall of Famer Cap Anson. If anybody favored Moses Fleetwood Walker remaining in the major leagues, they did not have to guts to speak up. Where was the John Rocker of 1884 to stand up and say what was politically incorrect, and make Jackie Robinson unnecessary.
Hmmm, the John Rocker of 1884 was probably on the "drumming out" comittee.

1884 was an entirely different time, and IMO can't be compared to 100 years later.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:23 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
Hmmm, the John Rocker of 1884 was probably on the "drumming out" comittee.

1884 was an entirely different time, and IMO can't be compared to 100 years later.
If you'll reread my post, I described the John Rocker of 1884 as the one who had the guts to say what he thought was right, even if not politically correct. None of Walker's teammates had any objection to his being on the team. One opposing player, single-handedly,forced him out of baseball. Nobody stood up against him.

Jlhct, in 1980, there were more African American players in the majors than there are now. But the pageantry was not thought necessary then---why should it be now? Money, for white club owners and concessionaires. Look at crowd shots in telecasts---the only blacks are the vendors. Black fans can't afford the $80 tickets.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
If you'll reread my post, I described the John Rocker of 1884 as the one who had the guts to say what he thought was right, even if not politically correct. None of Walker's teammates had any objection to his being on the team. One opposing player, single-handedly,forced him out of baseball. Nobody stood up against him.

Jlhct, in 1980, there were more African American players in the majors than there are now. But the pageantry was not thought necessary then---why should it be now? Money, for white club owners and concessionaires. Look at crowd shots in telecasts---the only blacks are the vendors. Black fans can't afford the $80 tickets.
OK, I didn't quite understand the 1884 post, but I do now.

In regards to the pagentry, maybe it is so that people won't forget. It's a significant event that should be honored. It doesn't matter if there are less blacks in the league now than in years past.

If you feel that the event is just for money for the "white" club owners then that is your opinion, but not everyone feels that way. I'm going to guess that many of the players don't either.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:37 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,551,910 times
An individual can be racist but not discriminate.

I do not really care is anyone is racist. That is how he/she feels or views the how the world should be as far as race is concern.

To me the action is more important. Being racist is not action. Discrimantion is.

Anyone can think all he/she wants about my race as long as he/she does affect me with discriminatory actions.

I have seen people that are racist but do not discriminate and I respect that.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 04-16-2009, 09:15 PM

668 posts, read 2,186,769 times
Stick around a person long enough and you will know if they are racist or not. People talk a certain way about others, like tearing them down for the slightest thing.

Commenting on thier lineage or that they arent 'good enough' is a sure sign of discontent, and malcontent... Then there is thier actions. Do they put down people, make snide remarks about silly stuff that doesnt make sense to get a raise out of someone, to either set them up for a fall guy or the butt of jokes.

Its not hard to notice an idiot, or fool, and its the fool tht will start the entire mess going to disrupte someones day''Later...

May the LORD Bless each of you

I wish you well...

Jesse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates