Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2011, 10:37 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,319,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
A REAL racist believes that his or her race is the superior one and that the only way you could ever be an equal to them, is if you are the same race. IMO

Is'nt that what I said

Old 04-21-2011, 10:47 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Is'nt that what I said
Yep! But did you think that after you answered the question, the thread was over? I was simply echoing your sentiment.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:27 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,278,219 times
A racist thinks in terms of race not ability. A racist is usually unreasonable and not data driven and bases decisions on appearance and unfounded beliefs not facts.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Yep! But did you think that after you answered the question, the thread was over? I was simply echoing your sentiment.
Oh sorry 'bout tat

Old 04-21-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Oh sorry 'bout tat
LOL...perfectly okay.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:54 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
People are generally closet racist. But not enough racist that they would join a racist group.
Let me explain. I am not a racist. I have many black friends ( especially after I moved to Tennessee and Mississippi) and I am a very compassionate person. I like people in general. Funny people are fun to hang with. If somebody came up to one of my black co workers and called them a the N word, I would tell them to get the hell out of my store and never come back. However, I am going to be honest. I have thought in my head, the N word several times. I do it in "emotional situations where I feel I am being a victim of ...something" But that is all it is. Thoughts.
They are not really my true feelings.
Now, to be fare, Black people down here where I currently live out down white people all the time. Never directed towards me personally, but still. Who knows, maybe they have a reason. I still don't let it bother me because they generally like me once they meet me, and I like generally them.
One black girl I have become really close to, have told me some pretty appalling things that she has been a "victim" of. When she tells me these stories, I have nothing to say. I am in no position to talk because regardless of how many times I have sensed racist comments about whites, it does not compare to her stories.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:49 AM

I've actually worked hard to not be racist. When growing up, I lived in an area that couldn't have been much more "white", and yet had a father who was from NY state. My father used racial slurs about people constantly. If someone was a different race than we were, my father had a name for them. I never recall him ever doing so to someone's face, because he was a businessman. Things like that were said behind their backs. Many of my siblings are definitely racist and I can't help but wonder if that's because of all of the derogatory names he called them, made sure they would ********* over in a heartbeat, take advantage of you, lie to you, steal from you. I wouldn't even dream over going into all the horrible details here, because it's just disgusting.

I remember thinking so, even as a child. I remember having to leave the room when he'd get going about someone, because instead of "learning how to protect myself from THEM", I always found myself feeling horribly SORRY for the people he was putting down..it was disgusting and wrong. For some reason, no one had to tell me that, I just felt it with every fiber of my being. When I was in 6th grade, I had to go stay with my sister to help her out...she lived in Seattle. Well.....I had only seen one colored person before, in my entire life. Guess what? My sister lived in a predominantly black neighborhood and I got to SEE how racism felt!!

Yes, I did make friends in that two week period that I was there...but for the first time in my life I had to live with being referred to with racial slurs, have mothers not allow me into their homes, because I was white. More than ever, that concreted in my mind just how cruel and unfair racism is. When I got into high school, a black family moved into our town and 2 kids came to our school. They didn't last long and that was sickening. Watching others say horrible things to and about those poor kids, because of their skin color..it still sticks with me and breaks my heart. People can be so blinded and prejudiced by skin color and/or race...truly disgusting and heart breaking. They should judge each person individually...by their personal actions. Sad..... race or country of origin should NEVER enter the picture.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:09 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
Quote:
I've actually worked hard to not be racist. When growing up, I lived in an area that couldn't have been much more "white", and yet had a father who was from NY state. My father used racial slurs about people constantly. If someone was a different race than we were, my father had a name for them. I never recall him ever doing so to someone's face, because he was a businessman. Things like that were said behind their backs. Many of my siblings are definitely racist and I can't help but wonder if that's because of all of the derogatory names he called them, made sure they would ********* over in a heartbeat, take advantage of you, lie to you, steal from you. I wouldn't even dream over going into all the horrible details here, because it's just disgusting.

I remember thinking so, even as a child. I remember having to leave the room when he'd get going about someone, because instead of "learning how to protect myself from THEM", I always found myself feeling horribly SORRY for the people he was putting down..it was disgusting and wrong. For some reason, no one had to tell me that, I just felt it with every fiber of my being. When I was in 6th grade, I had to go stay with my sister to help her out...she lived in Seattle. Well.....I had only seen one colored person before, in my entire life. Guess what? My sister lived in a predominantly black neighborhood and I got to SEE how racism felt!!

Yes, I did make friends in that two week period that I was there...but for the first time in my life I had to live with being referred to with racial slurs, have mothers not allow me into their homes, because I was white. More than ever, that concreted in my mind just how cruel and unfair racism is. When I got into high school, a black family moved into our town and 2 kids came to our school. They didn't last long and that was sickening. Watching others say horrible things to and about those poor kids, because of their skin color..it still sticks with me and breaks my heart. People can be so blinded and prejudiced by skin color and/or race...truly disgusting and heart breaking. They should judge each person individually...by their personal actions. Sad..... race or country of origin should NEVER enter the picture.
I grew up in the South in the 50's. Pretty early --how--I cannot say- I knew that words like the 'N' word were 'wrong'. Generally adults didn't openly express strong dislike around the kids. As I got older I was surprised that adults had other feelings and opinions. I was very ashamed that members of my family would say what they said--assuming that other families did not say things like this. Perhaps there were/are a few families that don't--then and now.

At any rate it became a major issue in my life. I can accept that people express frustration and lash out. That isn't 'nice or right'---I'm not certain that is true racism--particularly if it is said in private.
I no I do better if I try to identify what is behind my anger or frustration if I feel inclined to lash out.

How nice it would have been if someone in my world had explained this.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:13 AM

simetime<--------is a stupidist, I don't like stupid people!

Old 04-22-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I grew up in the South in the 50's. Pretty early --how--I cannot say- I knew that words like the 'N' word were 'wrong'. Generally adults didn't openly express strong dislike around the kids. As I got older I was surprised that adults had other feelings and opinions. I was very ashamed that members of my family would say what they said--assuming that other families did not say things like this. Perhaps there were/are a few families that don't--then and now.

At any rate it became a major issue in my life. I can accept that people express frustration and lash out. That isn't 'nice or right'---I'm not certain that is true racism--particularly if it is said in private.
I no I do better if I try to identify what is behind my anger or frustration if I feel inclined to lash out.

How nice it would have been if someone in my world had explained this.
Sadly, I think his personal experiences when he was younger, colored his view of people. Yes, I also think that he wasn't very good at expressing his anger and frustration and it came out as horribly racist. Being careful with your words, especially when raising children is so important. As I said, I do have siblings who are terribly racist, and it isn't as though they were ever really exposed to a lot of people outside our own race and/or culture. The rantings and ravings of my father caused some deep seated mistrust and hatred of other races.....truly sad.

I also think media plays quite a part in creating these prejudices. We took a family trip to a big city in February. There were many people of different "races" around us and our children were actually nervous and voiced that to me. I explained to them that it was irrational fear and nervousness, brought on by the portrayal of them on television. So many television programs they have watched show "African Americans", as people with guns, in gangs, violent and angry! Hispanics are portrayed (in many instances) in the same way... Asians, portrayed as terribly against the "Americans'" way of life and always looking for a way to take advantage of them because Americans are so stupid, etc. Once they realized that their view of other races was based primarily on things they've watched on television, it all made sense! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates