U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-15-2009, 07:18 PM
 
Location: 125 Years Too Late...
10,296 posts, read 9,975,609 times
Reputation: 9076

Advertisements

Well, personally, I think it’s really stupid to ban PE. But I also think it’s stupid to require it in anything but an ‘exercise the body’ form. For me, PE was nothing but an annoyance in high school. I certainly see the benefit of exercising the body, but I have never seen any benefit in competitive sports except for those who have an interest in that sort of thing.

When I was in high school, I ate, slept, and breathed music. I didn’t mind going on the little cross-country runs during PE or just exercising, but if the class was going to do dodge ball, or poison mat, wrestling, basketball, etc, I used to HATE that crap. I would regularly ditch class on those days and go play my guitar.

So I’d have to say require PE, but let the student decide where his/her interests are at least sufficient to spark even a marginal level of interest. Some people have an absolute zero interest in team/competitive sports--I was one of them--but, may be much more interested in personal fitness in the form of running, cycling, swimming, or even bodybuilding sorts of activities.

In my opinion, having the students run 5 miles a day (or something similar: swim, cycle, etc) is just as beneficial for them (probably more) than any of those traditional dodge ball type activities. Now in my forties, I’m certainly not going to go play dodge ball. But because I was at least introduced to long distance running for fitness at that age, when I’m ‘hitting on all eight cylinders’ now, I run at least 7 miles a day (with a day off now and then) during the good weather months (and as much as I can force myself to at other times).

In my opinion, PE should be about developing good fitness habits, because those are the aspects that can carry into adulthood and continue. Dodge ball does not. And for almost everyone, neither does football, basketball, etc. As for ‘competition,’ I don’t really subscribe to it: but for a professional, adult competitive edge, I’d have to say that brain exercise is far more important.

So, yes, retain PE. Just allow the student to choose the specifics as long as they are getting a workout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-15-2009, 11:42 PM
 
3,566 posts, read 4,490,175 times
Reputation: 1846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
There are junior varsity teams, scout teams, practice squads or as I called them "blocking dummies".


You don't see effort those 3 put into their training. When my jr. high football season was over, I moved up to the senior high team to practice with them for the last 2 weeks of their season. During the first practice on Monday I was knocked unconcious by an upper classman. Instead of quitting, I sucked it up and worked even harder. As a 9th grader, I got some playing time in that Friday's game. I was trampled by a guy on the other team that started for a D-1 NCAA school the next year. I worked hard during the next week of practice and almost got a starting position due to injury. I worked hard during the off-season and earned a starting position the next year. Not bad for a 185 pound, 15 year old, offensive tackle where the O-line averaged 250 pounds (my 180 pounds brought down the average weight). I played in a total of 33 high school football games and started 31 in a row.
-Robert
Sweeet! But your not getting what I'm saying.

I'm not denying your glory. I'm not denying your stamina or ethics or your sacrifice. In fact, that is inspiring and wonderful and all around very, very cool. But this........

Quote:
Go rent the movie "The Replacements" and you will understand.
If that group, that inclusion, that deeper understanding can only be found either by being one of the three or watching that movie (or just loving the game itself) then mayhap, it is time to consider the number of people who are not in your circle. Your time is over. And it sounds like you were great and I mean no disrespect to you.

So, giving out awards to each and every player for showing up is (and I agree) wrong. The inclusion number in specific sports only deals with specific children. The rest of the kids aren't one of the three. There are other ways to compete. Therefore, the answer is NOT dodgeball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2009, 01:28 AM
 
Location: Prepperland
13,116 posts, read 9,202,467 times
Reputation: 8988
Let's take away public funding for schools!
Charge full tuition, and let parents choose what kind of education their little sprouts should enjoy.
That way, we won't have to fuss with bureaucrats, meddling fools, and bean counters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2009, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
857 posts, read 1,228,611 times
Reputation: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
If that group, that inclusion, that deeper understanding can only be found either by being one of the three or watching that movie (or just loving the game itself) then mayhap, it is time to consider the number of people who are not in your circle. Your time is over. And it sounds like you were great and I mean no disrespect to you.

So, giving out awards to each and every player for showing up is (and I agree) wrong. The inclusion number in specific sports only deals with specific children. The rest of the kids aren't one of the three. There are other ways to compete. Therefore, the answer is NOT dodgeball.
I do not understand your argument here. Not everybody makes the high school football team so we don't need dodgeball in elementary school? I do not see the correlation...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2009, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Reputation: 35864
Make a list of the 100 greatest, most important, most influential men in the history of the world. How many of them do you think would have made their high school team in any sport? Choosing up sides for a playground game, how many of you would choose Shakespeare, Einstein and Franklin first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2009, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,057 posts, read 29,713,783 times
Reputation: 10450
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Sorry for the rant...my debate question is:
Do you find this current movement in PE and playgrounds away from competition to be a good or a bad thing for the future of America's children?
I think it's bad, because when they'll actually need some competitive skills--and I refer to competition for jobs, since few kids will actually go on to professional sports--they won't have 'em. And taking a step beyond competitive skills, I think there's also something very wrong with that philosophy insisting "everyone's a winner." Everyone is NOT a winner. In fact, most are not winners. A system that attempts to make everyone feel "special" is not doing anyone any favors.

And completely aside from this, games like dodgeball are fun. At least, I always thought so...even when I was on the wrong side of the ball!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2009, 05:43 PM
 
3,566 posts, read 4,490,175 times
Reputation: 1846
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
I do not understand your argument here. Not everybody makes the high school football team so we don't need dodgeball in elementary school? I do not see the correlation...

You would have to go back and read my posts. He picked one part of my post and I still maintain the answer to the problem is not found in dodgeball. Its not relevent if he was one of the three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2009, 07:21 PM
 
Location: OKC
5,426 posts, read 5,569,083 times
Reputation: 1760
Dodge ball is awesome. Anyone that could hate on dodgeball is not even a friend of mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2009, 10:00 PM
 
339 posts, read 627,251 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Dodge ball is awesome. Anyone that could hate on dodgeball is not even a friend of mine.
That post is awesome. I agree. How can anyone hate dodgeball? Seriously. It should be a competitive sport you can turn pro at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2009, 11:49 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
33,949 posts, read 32,379,274 times
Reputation: 49896
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
[i]I was watching "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel" (great program that is surprisingly shocking every time) from last night and they had a piece on "The Wussification of America" (their words, not mine) and how schools around the country are in a movement to ban all competitive games from the playgrounds.

Do you find this current movement in PE and playgrounds away from competition to be a good or a bad thing for the future of America's children?[/b]
The competition isn't just missing on the playing fields. It's missing in the classrooms, as well. Some schools don't let teachers grade papers with red ink. Everybody gets a trophy. Parents run to schools to blame the teacher if their kid fails a test or to argue for a better grade on a report. They can't roller skate without a helmet and knee pads. They can't ride in a car without a car seat. They can't eat this food or that food without everyone weighing in on the nutritional value. The electric outlets are all covered when they're little. They ride in car seats when they're fairly big. There are soccer moms because junior has a less chance of getting hurt. They live with their parents until they are well into their 20s and beyond. These overprotected non-competitive wusses have already hit the workplace. They need praise every five minutes for just doing their job, they think they all deserve outstanding evaluations and everything, and I mean everything, has to be done in teams and the team process (everybody getting along, everybody equal, everybody weighing in on everything) is more important than the outcome.

Found this article:

http://www.bizlex.com/Articles-c-2009-04-14-86274.113117_Coddled_Millennials_can_be_HR_nightma res.html (broken link)

Last edited by LauraC; 04-17-2009 at 12:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top