U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2009, 03:49 AM

2,365 posts, read 10,233,882 times

Advertisements

I agree!!! Craigs list has bolted the door and sealed the windows so you cannot get at them. They have no email and no phone number or even address to write to them!!

But blaming them for a person being murdered, seems a bit much, since that would be like closing down every restaurant /bar where people meet and then take t he chance of getting murdered.

It is true that craigs list loses its legitamcy as long as it continues with its dating sites!

But even on this site, i could contact you directly and then you or i could murder each other. It is a chance you take in this society. Can we blame CD for what happened. Maybe, but i suspect that like criminals who prowl mall parking lots, prowl match.com, City Data and Craigslist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
well, w/ the recent Boston murder and RI assault, CL is getting a lot of bad press. IMO, they need to just shut down the Erotic Services section. sure, if people want to sell sex, they will find a way to advertise it, even on the website, but having such a category on the site seems to be welcoming them on w/ open arms. that part of the site has outlive its usefulness and is now too far gone to be saved

CL actually does charge for certain parts of its sites and for certain cites (for example, i believe all posters in the NYC Apartment section pay a fee). the site isn't exactly poor (can't remember the exact amount, but they are making quite a profit from what I remember). it doesn't cost much to regulate a site and make some simple rule changes. something as simple as having moderators in the forums and checking through certain categories in certain cities and giving them the power to remove those ads will cut down on a lot of the junk. from my own experience, the staff is not visibly proactive in fixing problems on the site. there is a way to directly report massive abuse of the site directly to them. I've done so on several cases, only to see those ads still alive days later, untouched.

when Myspace became known as a stopping ground for sexual predators, the site did a lot to assure people that they were fixing the problem and made changes (not enough, but some). CL, other than charging $1-5 to post in the ES section (which of course gains them more money), has done nothing visible to fix the issue or assure users they are making changes to the site. as I said before, the site has remained virtually unchanged since the days I first stared using it (other than the fees they now charge to post in certain sites) and tactics that work to regulate a smaller site w/ less traffic isn't working now that the site has grown much larger
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 11:04 AM
miu

16,476 posts, read 33,452,987 times
I love CL. I've bought several cars and many car parts off of it. I found a garage for my boyfriend to rent and three part time jobs. I've also gotten some great free stuff.

What I realize and accept is that it's a very popular site. Some posters get several hundred replies to their ads, so if they don't email me back, I understand.

I think that the people who run CL are unhappy that eBay owns a large share of their stock and would like to buy them out of it. I'm not happy with what eBay has turned into.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:08 PM

18,720 posts, read 4,711,150 times
So far we've been happy with CL, we rented out 2 places, sold 2 cars and a refrigerator. The people buying/renting were local, the deals were cash. For now it's working out.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:37 PM

4,089 posts, read 4,599,846 times
You are chiding a free service that orginated in one of the nation's most liberal cities for having too many sex ads? What is the debate?

Old 04-19-2009, 10:25 PM

90 posts, read 250,325 times
I never realized that CL had so many issues... I admit I don't use the site very often, but I find it extremely useful. I used it to rent out my apartment and sell my furniture and other items. I don't use e-bay since I never built up my "feedback" there, I have no transactions and nobody would trust me. E-bay can be intimidating for a new seller, so I use Craigslist because there is no feedback and everyone is the same. I like this better. Let people decide using common sense who to trust and who not to trust. Even "feedback" e-bay relies on so much can be fake or not accurate and when you implement such a thing you alienate people like me who use the site to sell or donate some household items very rarely, maybe once a year. Instead e-bay is a domain of powersellers and people running their store fronts from it and also same amount of scammers and fake goods resellers.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:43 AM

6,005 posts, read 13,188,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
You are chiding a free service that orginated in one of the nation's most liberal cities for having too many sex ads? What is the debate?
umm, no. read the original post again.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:56 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,675,983 times
I agree with eevee, they should dump the erotic section entirely and concentrate on cleaning up the other listing sections. I use CL modestly and would be happy to pay an appropriate fee for its use.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:56 PM

6,952 posts, read 8,890,782 times
They just have to find a balance between policing the site and allowing the free enterprise system to do what it does, which is always messy. Craigslist is unlikely to go belly-up any time soon, though, that's for sure.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:31 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,033,463 times
Like all things, CL is ever-evolving. You can't shut down the site because in its current form, it is not perfect and doesn't prevent those with criminal intent from using it. If you shut it down, you might as well shut down the internet. It's a vehicle for information, the exchange of services and goods, and a pretty effective one at that.

The girl was advertising for massage services, illegal, meaning she was providing massage and sex for money. She could've used the newspaper or one of the many internet websites for that purpose, and that lunatic would've found her that way. The bottom line is that if you engage in illegal activity, no matter what vehicle you use to promote your services, there is a high likelihood that there could be a tragic or less than favorable result. Happened here on CL, but this along with your other reasons, is no reason to shut the site down.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:31 PM

2,365 posts, read 10,233,882 times
Craigslist doesn't have a lot of issues as opined by a poster! It has lots of happy customers who don't spend a dime. and gripe about the spammers. Yes, i hate spammers too! And feel devestated by the fact that a person was killed by another person who went on a blind date. This can happen anywhere and does every day, a woman is killed by her spouse, boyfriend, or stranger, in this country!! It was happening before craigs list and will happen after craigs list!

just another thought!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates