U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 09:18 PM

6,005 posts, read 13,178,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Like all things, CL is ever-evolving. You can't shut down the site because in its current form, it is not perfect and doesn't prevent those with criminal intent from using it. If you shut it down, you might as well shut down the internet. It's a vehicle for information, the exchange of services and goods, and a pretty effective one at that.

The girl was advertising for massage services, illegal, meaning she was providing massage and sex for money. She could've used the newspaper or one of the many internet websites for that purpose, and that lunatic would've found her that way. The bottom line is that if you engage in illegal activity, no matter what vehicle you use to promote your services, there is a high likelihood that there could be a tragic or less than favorable result. Happened here on CL, but this along with your other reasons, is no reason to shut the site down.
actually, it's not illegal to offer massage services and there's no concrete proof the victim was offering sex for money. at the moment, it looks like the murder victim did nothing illegal (not sure what MA law is regarding masseurs and licenses). the site itself provides a mean for legit masseurs to advertise on the site. problem is, they have NO way of weeding out the legit posters from the non-legit posters. by providing a platform for these ads but not taking any measures to weed out legit ads from illegal ones, they are allowing these bad things to happen.

and CL, sadly, isn't evolving at all, or at least not at the rate they need to be to curb illegal activities. like I said before, having a system where users flag down and removed bad ads worked fine when the site was smaller and focused on a few US cities. but at the size it's at now, this system needs to be revamped. and the rules of the sites either needs to be posted more clearly or completely overhauled. simply charging posting fees isn't enough and hasn't been curbing the prohibited and illegal activity at all

trust me, I don't want to see CL shut down (I'm pretty sure I didn't imply that). it's a great resource when it works and at the moment, no other site has been able to match it. however, I want to see a far more proactive response from the staff. right now, they allow ANY kind of ad up on the site. yes, there are rules and prohibited items that shouldn't be posted, but fact of the matter is that even prohibited/illegal stuff gets up there. there is no intermediary checkpoint to make sure illegal posts aren't being posted. the way the site is set up now, ANYTHING at all can be posted, however, if other users find you are posting prohibited or illegal items, they can flag you and it takes X amount of people flagging to bring an ad down. staff has nothing to do w/ the removal of prohibited/illegal ads on the classified boards, which is a huge issues as you can't rely solely on the users to police the site. not all users are good about flagging bad ads and by the time such ads are flagged down, the damage may have been done already (ie, someone may have already responded w/ a phone number/email).

it does look like they are trying to fix things. the erotic services section is apparently down and gone. now all the staff has to do is be on top of illegal, displaced ads that may end up in another section. again, they can't rely 100% on the users to flag these ads down. just like on this site where I can click on the red triangle and get the immediate attention of a mod, CL needs to install something similar so that if users do come across illegal ads, they can get the immediate attention of the staff and the ad can come down quickly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 09:36 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
I met my G/F on CraisgList, bought/sold a few personal vehicles, etc. so it has its uses for me

Old 04-29-2009, 10:54 AM

6,940 posts, read 8,875,359 times
People have been getting killed by other people they met through personal ads and wants ads for generations. I've never heard anyone calling for the end of newspaper classifieds on that basis! Legal or illegal as the intended activity might be, you take a risk whenever you meet somebody knew. Over the weekend I was reading about some incredibly unlucky woman who was happily married to a great guy she met through church, introduced by her family, and next thing she knew she was attending his trial for serial murder. Life is full of unmeasurable risk.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:56 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,601,726 times
I love CL. So many prostitutes to choose from.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:55 PM

493 posts, read 494,994 times
I agree it has helped me sell/buy stuff in the past on occasion, so I could not say it's entirely a waste of time, but overall it seems like a poorly managed organization to me...certainly a victim of it's own success. A LOT of garbage hangs out on CL.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:27 PM

39 posts, read 49,967 times
I don't belong to CL and now glad I do not. I checked it out did not care for what I saw. Now since this situation with two men hired to commit murder I really don't want anything to do with it.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:15 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobhan Shadow View Post
I don't belong to CL and now glad I do not.
No one "belongs" to Craigs List. It is nothing more than an advertising medium - nothing more.

Many people have bought and sold personal items on C/L - or even found employment or a home.

There is nothing in inherently wrong with C/L.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:22 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,589,351 times
It goes back to the old saying "free and worth it". It is FREE. I have used it to buy a few things and had no problems but it is a buyer beware site. As for the erotic section, I really do not care if call girls advertise there. That is between them and their clients and it really should be legal as long as they are not walking the streets.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:24 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,589,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
People have been getting killed by other people they met through personal ads and wants ads for generations. I've never heard anyone calling for the end of newspaper classifieds on that basis! Legal or illegal as the intended activity might be, you take a risk whenever you meet somebody knew. Over the weekend I was reading about some incredibly unlucky woman who was happily married to a great guy she met through church, introduced by her family, and next thing she knew she was attending his trial for serial murder. Life is full of unmeasurable risk.
Sheeesh... think of that poor lady in Kansas named Paula Rader! 20+ years of marriage and 2 kids... to a freakin serial killer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates