U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 04:44 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,677,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That's how most people already live in Mexico. They don't have to go back to it, they never left. That's why I have calculated that, if the fit hits the shan in our economy, I can walk to Mexico in about ten days. Or if there is still any fuel, I can drive there in a morning. I keep my tank full and can make it on that.
What makes you think they'll let you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 04:51 AM

812 posts, read 2,080,633 times
heh, who wouldn't want a lot of land to live on. well, that costs some big money to have good land and privacy.

doesn't sound like hardship to me. i would love to own a lot of land and live off of it. no nosy neighbors, privacy, around nature, peace and quiet etc.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:36 AM

5,426 posts, read 5,574,706 times
I simplified my life a few years ago. I sold pretty much everything we owned and moved my family to a small island in the pacific ocean, about 5 degree off the equator. I have a simple little place to live that has a wonderful view of the ocean (something I wouldn't have gotten in the U.S.). The pace is really slow and relaxed. Last year I didn't worry about Obama or Sarah Palin, or Rev. Wright, etc. I only had to think about the price of fish at Happy's fish market, and whether there was any fresh pineapples at the store.

We don't have nearly the material wealth we used to have. We only have one small car. Our furniture is not very nice. The internet is really slow. There's no fast food places or malls here. There's not even a movie theater.

But we do have time and adventure. My wife, by her own choice, stays home now with the kids. We go fishing and diving on the weekends. It's summer all year around here. We have cookouts with our friends a lot. Its a good place to spend a few quiet years with your family away from the world.

I won't live out here forever. Someday I'll go back to reality. But getting away from the hustle of the U.S. for a few years and living on a small island has been very healthy for me and my family. I'm certainly glad I did it.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:38 PM

24,760 posts, read 26,848,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Please read the link below in its entirety and post your reaction/response. I suspect this will be an interesting discussion. Time will tell...

Noonan: Goodbye Bland Affluence - WSJ.com
Except for the part about smoking....I hope she's right. I do fear that it will take a serious downturn of 5-7 years (aka "depression") to force people back to basics. I hope we will do it without such an economic downdraft, but unfortunately, that's usually what it takes to get people to change their bad habits.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:32 PM

6,952 posts, read 8,895,670 times
The author of the article treats this as a new phenomenon. Except for a brief break in the Eighties when everyone traded in their bellbottoms for 3-piece suits and got MBAs so they could snort coke and "Be In Management," people have been going back to the land and being self-sufficient since the 1960s. The most recent wave calls itself the Voluntary Simplicity Movement.

A lot of people are doing this in a modified way -- raising veggies instead of lawns, cooking from scratch more, throwing away prescriptions even. There are political movements underway to make public transport common again so people don't all have to own provate cars. Others are working to change our commuter lifestyle to one where you can live and work on the same spot again.

I'm intrigued that the mom in the family they chose to profile looks so much like Michelle Obama. Accidental?

Boxcar: What makes the awesome-sounding life you're living now less real than being "back in reality"? If surveying your sooty, littered domain in Gary, IN is reality, you can keep it. I'll swap you for some of that pineapple-scented hallucination!

Old 04-21-2009, 04:47 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,653,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
Because you'd better have some help on the back 40.
My dad was very good at making tools and things all alone down in his workshop, and my mother ran the kitchen garden all by herself. Neither got any help from the other.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:48 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,653,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
What makes you think they'll let you?
They don't think like Americans.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:10 PM

5,915 posts, read 7,090,991 times
LOL Peggy Noonan as a deep thinker. Right...

Old 04-21-2009, 05:42 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,821,857 times
There's a great book called 'Never Kiss a Goat on the Lips' by Vic Sussman, I believe. It' chronicles a city boy and his wife starting a small homestead on the east coast. It's a GREAT read for those people thinking they can just move out of the city onto a few acres and grow all their own food... it's a lot more difficult than one may think.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:35 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,075,019 times
Wink Imho

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Please read the link below in its entirety and post your reaction/response. I suspect this will be an interesting discussion. Time will tell...

Noonan: Goodbye Bland Affluence - WSJ.com
Hmm... all I got was a Wall Street Journal header and a big black page. Perhaps THAT's the future of America?

A few quick thoughts, though...

Our new Admin talks about "recovery". Back to what, precisely? Our vast over-consumerist spending habits of the past, staggering under obscene debt loads yet heading down to WalMart to buy more Chinese consumer goods on credit? Buying a few more cars, HDTVs, a new super-super-super phone that also cooks dinner? Gotta gotta gotta havvit?

Why? Anyone know how to work hard any more? For rational and globally competitive pay levels? Go ahead, UAW: strike and see where that gets you. Meanwhile, the truckers of this country continue to get scr$wed without anyone even warming the Vasoline.

Sorry, Mr. Barama. Not only will that not work ever again, but I'd say given the opportunity (magically deleting all debt, for example) no half-witted or better American would knowingly go out and re-spend his or her way back to "The way we were". Too much bad mojo there! Like happily going back to a restaurant where you had barely recovered from a near-fatal case of botulinus or salmonella poisoning.

Bye Bye GM, Chryco, possibly GE, Macy's, Sears, Radio Shack, and on and on. We're in for some fun now, guys and girls! We needs to downsize, man! Majorly.

IMHO. (meanwhile, don't stop practicing with your AR-15s. I'm just sayin'...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates