U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 10:16 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,437,255 times

Advertisements

no releasing felons would reduce prison crowding.
sort of like blowing holes in the bottom of a boat with a 12 gauge to let the water drain out.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:50 AM

51,292 posts, read 50,558,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I think we should arrest, prosecute, convict and mandatory jail all users and forget about dealers who will eventually go out of business with no customers. Users are the ones that cause the most harm to neighborhoods in general. Dealers don't break into people's houses to steal stuff so they can buy dope. Users do. Dealers aren't snatching purses and shoplifting. Users are the ones neglecting their kids. Users are the ones on the public dime not dealers. Users are the ones driving stoned. I'd like to see dedicated drug prisons.
The thread is basically about marijuana, though. I don't think people are snatching purses and breaking into houses so they can buy POT, for pete's sake.

Those behaviors are usually driven by serious addictions to seriously addictive drugs like opiates or cocaine.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
Who deemed killing to be wrong? If you looked back on history, bloodshed was quite common. Human sacrifices and gladiator battles ring a bell?

Stating that the government should stay 100% out of our lives implies that all laws should be removed. So one could do whatever one wants. And it doesn't seem like you get it either.

You have a great day.

Le Lune

My counter example is opium. You could pick it up easily in the woods or what not. I believe the thread is about recreational marijuana and not medicinal marijuana.
Yes, I think so, too. So let opium grow in its natural form, too. I remember back in the Sixties some people smoking rhodendendron leaves and dying because it's poisonous, yet there is no law that I know of that bans the growing of rhodendendrons.

There is still a difference, because opium is a physically addictive substance, while marijuana is not. Still, I don't see a need for laws against poppies.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:39 AM

15,908 posts, read 9,649,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, I think so, too. So let opium grow in its natural form, too. I remember back in the Sixties some people smoking rhodendendron leaves and dying because it's poisonous, yet there is no law that I know of that bans the growing of rhodendendrons.

There is still a difference, because opium is a physically addictive substance, while marijuana is not. Still, I don't see a need for laws against poppies.

And that's the problem. We take everything and synthesize it. I'll bet in it's natural form cocaine is nowhere near as dangerous. The Incas used to chew the leaves of the plant as a source of energy, and probably didn't have any issues. I'd be willing to bet that synthesizing THC wouldn't be good either.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:06 AM

24,889 posts, read 20,317,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
no releasing felons would reduce prison crowding.
sort of like blowing holes in the bottom of a boat with a 12 gauge to let the water drain out.
So,

If someone gets caught with 6 plants in their yard, and they are charged and convicted with a felony because of it, then they are no better than someone who commits armed robbery, or murder?

Is that where you stand?

Because 6 plants is about enough to get me through the year myself, with no one else.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:17 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,022,660 times
Well, everyone could just dry out some banana peels and smoke that to get high until Americans become sane and stop legislating their silly personal beliefs...

Damn...now the tyrants will want to ban bananas! "What are you in for?" "I was a banana dealer."

Old 04-22-2010, 10:33 AM

24,889 posts, read 20,317,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Well, everyone could just dry out some banana peels and smoke that to get high until Americans become sane and stop legislating their silly personal beliefs...

Damn...now the tyrants will want to ban bananas! "What are you in for?" "I was a banana dealer."
I've got a banana they can smoke

Prohibition was stupid in the 20's, and its stupid today.

Unfortunately, as comedians have said, you can't fix stupid. We are just waiting for them to die out.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:34 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,590,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Justifying actions has nothing to do with it. Perhaps natural is too simple a word to convey what I'm trying to say, but I can't think of another right now. It's a dried plant. It's not fermented, packaged, or otherwise processed. A plant that you could grow or find growing in the woods, pick, and dry for its properties, whether you claim it's for medical purposes or otherwise, does not seem to me to be something that there should be laws against.
There are even laws against taking perfectly natural fish out of the water. In some states, it is illegal to pick ANY wild flower, which would make it technically illegal to harvest Echinacea.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
And that's the problem. We take everything and synthesize it. I'll bet in it's natural form cocaine is nowhere near as dangerous. The Incas used to chew the leaves of the plant as a source of energy, and probably didn't have any issues. I'd be willing to bet that synthesizing THC wouldn't be good either.
Queen Victoria used to take a tea made of brewed coca leaves to treat the "melancholy" from which she suffered after Albert died.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There are even laws against taking perfectly natural fish out of the water. In some states, it is illegal to pick ANY wild flower, which would make it technically illegal to harvest Echinacea.
I have not heard of that. I think it's bizarre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or