Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 05:46 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
read before you write
This is not an argument, I would after all suggest the same of you. Feel free to show actual data that shows that alcohol is a more dangerous substance to the human body than marijuana.

Quote:
Then how come there 50,000 cases of alcohol poisoning are reported each year but 0 cases of marijuana overdose?
Did you read what I typed? I stated that marijuana is "nearly impossible" to overdose on. And although alcohol is hard to overdose on, its possible. You have to really be doing some serious binge drinking to overdose on alcohol, that is why there is so few cases in relation to the huge number of people that drink alcohol.

Quote:
Yeah heaven forbid someone dying of cancer doing chemo therapy gets an increased appetite
Umm.......yeah okay? Is this your way of saying your argument was bad?
What does this have to do with how the legalization of marijuana would effect prison populations? Oh yeah nothing.

Last edited by user_id; 04-23-2009 at 05:55 PM..

Old 04-23-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
....It sickens me the way this country embraces alcohol. In my eyes it's right up there with all the hard drugs.
Alcohol is nothing like "hard drugs", that is just silliness. Trying to use drunk driving cases as an argument against the legalization of alcohol can work just as effectively against marijuana. Both are psycho-active drugs that impair your ability to drive, among other things. The only reason there are fair more alcohol related cases is because 1.) Its much easier to test for alcohol, 2.) They are often taken together and only the alcohol is being detected, 3.) Alcohol is more widely used than marijuana.

Marijuana has nothing over alcohol in this regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That is highly variable, according to which state, and the color of the arrestee. White kids don't get stopped by the cops in the first place, so rule that out. In this town, if a black or Hispanic kid gets stopped and any unknown substance at all is found in their possession, even pocket lint, they go to jail until the substance can be identified. If it is personal-use quantity of marijuana, there is a criminal charge.
I know it differs by state, that is why I tried to be careful to say "In most areas"...etc. In terms of non-white vs white kids that is also highly related to the area you're in.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:58 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,349,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Mild Alcohol consumption has a number of health benefits, Marijuana really has none. Chronic use of either substance is about the same health wise. One makes you stupid over time and destroys your lungs, the other destroys your liver and may cause some bowel related problems.
Marijuana does NOTHING to your lungs unless you smoke it. Legalized weed would mean more non-inhalant versions of marijuana, even in healthy snacks (I've seen marijuana snacks with protein and fibre and little else in Europe) and it has been scientifically proven that all effects of marijuana are temporary. Alcohol induces dementia (read about Steve Dalkowski for proof of how alcohol use can ruin lives and destroy the mind.)

Quote:
This is hyperbole. But feel free to show actual data that demonstrates it.
It's fact. Alcohol is FAR more dangerous than Marijuana. Alcohol leads to violence and it causes thousands of deaths every year.

Quote:
In terms of overdoes though, its nearly impossible to overdose on Marijuana. But alcohol is also hard to overdose on too, but its possible.
It's not hard to OD on alcohol. Every single night of my freshman year of college I saw the ambulance at the dorms for Alcohol Poisoning...never once saw the ambulance come for a pothead.

Quote:
Yes they are not addicted, which explains why they are willing to risk getting a criminal record just to smoke some pot.
That's not addiction. I'm not addicted to driving 80 on the freeway, I risk getting caught because I'm impatient about driving slower than I can handle. The risks are relatively low for a lot of pot users, it's completely random who gets caught, but 90%+ of pot users never get into any trouble at all...but they do send billions of dollars into the hands of drug gangs.

Quote:
And yet, its not safer from a personal health point of view.
Yes, it is. If Vaporized or eaten pot has no negative health effects.

Quote:
That "poison"? If you are going to equate drugs with poison, then Marijuana would likewise be a "poison".
No, poison kills...marijuana doesn't.
Quote:
In terms of calories....well not to state the obvious. But marijuana increases your appetite and also decreases your energy levels. Alcohol on the other hand will decrease your appetite, especially things like a hardy beer.
Munchies only affect some...but every serving of alcohol has at least 50 calories. Some have much more than that. Marijuana doesn't always decrease energy levels either, many people use it for the exact opposite reason, to wake up. And judging by the late-night eateries throughout this country, I would say that drinking does nothing to combat the appetite. Go to any restaurant at 1am-2am and you'll see a lot of drunks.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:16 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
Would marijuana legalization prevent jail/prison overcrowding?

I think it would cause the majority of the pot smokers don't go out and commit other crimes against people to support their habits unlike most of the other drug users and most of the pot smokers are hard working and decent people.

I don't classify marijuana as a drug at all.

Marijuana's definitely a drug, but so's caffeine, so's aspirin, and you don't see anyone trying to arrest me for taking Excedrin, do you? I think ganja should be legalized once and for all. The whole debate about it is stupid. The amount of legal fees, overcrowded jails and GNP generated in fighting a harmless substance is stupid. It only got stupider when they started legalizing "medical" marijuana in the same country where "recreational" marijuana is outlawed.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:21 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Alcohol is nothing like "hard drugs", that is just silliness. Trying to use drunk driving cases as an argument against the legalization of alcohol can work just as effectively against marijuana. Both are psycho-active drugs that impair your ability to drive, among other things. The only reason there are fair more alcohol related cases is because 1.) Its much easier to test for alcohol, 2.) They are often taken together and only the alcohol is being detected, 3.) Alcohol is more widely used than marijuana.
Alcohol is the hardest drug of all. It kills more people every year than heroin does in a decade, when you add up the alcohol-related carnage on the highways, the many ways people kill themselves drinking (liver failure, gunshot to the head, pancreatic cancer), the way it increases violence in the mentally ill and the mentally healthy, the way it's associated with 75% of domestic violence calls, which are the calls police like to answer least because they are so dangerous to everyone involved...

Can you think of a single case of anyone being killed by their ganja smoking? I exclude the gang wars related to illegal drug trafficking. I mean some guy smoking a joint and then beating his wife to death with a hammer. Alcohol makes that happen, ganja does not. That's why alcohol is a hard drug, and ganja is not.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
and it has been scientifically proven that all effects of marijuana are temporary.
This is not scientifically proven. Long term use of marijuana has been shown to damage the brain in a number of ways. Short-term use can depress mental abilities short-term, but over time the effects appear to wear off.

You appear to think that arguing against alcohol is some how an argument for the legalization of marijuana. But that makes no sense at all.

Quote:
It's fact. Alcohol is FAR more dangerous than Marijuana. Alcohol leads to violence and it causes thousands of deaths every year.
This is the part where you find any stupid thing to try to justify your view. How do you distinguish between a tobacco related death and a marijuana related death when both can cause the same sort of lung cancer? Oh yeah you can't. And although uncommon there are people that react badly to marijuana. Citing marijuana deaths at "0" is pure propaganda.

Quote:
It's not hard to OD on alcohol. Every single night of my freshman year of college I saw the ambulance at the dorms for Alcohol Poisoning...
Like I said, twice now. You can overdose on alcohol. Its usually related to binge drinking.

But how this relates to the topic of the thread is beyond me.

Quote:
That's not addiction....
Yes right, the pot-heads are not addicted at all. Yep. Whats that, a pig flying?

Quote:
Yes, it is. If Vaporized or eaten pot has no negative health effects.
Except damage to the brain. It is a psycho-active drug and effects the brain in numerous ways. Its impossible to consistently take any psycho-active drug long term without it changing the brain.

Quote:
No, poison kills...marijuana doesn't.
Unless you take too much of it, in which case it can kill. The reason overdosing from marijuana is so rare is because its so hard to take the amount that would result in a true overdose.

But some of the easiest drugs to overdose on are those used in the medical industry. Why is this being discussed?

Quote:
Munchies only affect some...but every serving of alcohol has at least 50 calories.....
Alcoholic drinks have calories, just as orange juice does. Are you against orange juice too? The calories obtained from alcohol are not empty and will reduce the amount you need to eat in the day. Some alcoholic drinks are rather hardy, for example unfiltered wheat beers. In a sense its like liquid bread.

Alcohol is often drunk with food in this culture. It obviously does not depress your appetite before you drink it, as a result mentioning people in restaurants makes no sense. But drink a meal with water vs beer and I guarantee, you'll be more full in the case of beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Alcohol is the hardest drug of all. It kills more people every year than heroin does in a decade, when you add up the alcohol-related carnage on the highways....
This is just silly. FAR MORE consume alcohol than use heroin, looking at the raw numbers tells you absolutely nothing. You need to look at the number of alcohol related deaths vs heroin deaths as a personage of the people using it.

Seriously? This is your argument? You are trying to argue that alcohol is a worse drug than heroin? I mean really?!??!

Anyhow, all of this is irrelevant to the topic though. Arguing with pot-heads is like arguing with fundamentalists. The belief comes first, the justification second.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:50 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,059 times
Quote:

Marijuana has nothing over alcohol in this regard.
Never said alcohol should be illegal. A person should have the right to put what ever they want in their body as long as they are not harming anyone

Alcohol is not a psycho-active it's a depressant

The majority of marijuana users oppose alcohol. To say that people who smoke will also drink is not true.

"Alcohol is more widely used than marijuana."
my point. Nothing is being done to stop people from using alcohol. Alcohol is a deadly drug that harms thousands each year but there is no campaign being done to stop it. It's cheap,easy to get, and the basis of all social functions. People see it as the most harmless thing on this earth take you for example. Yet it destroys so many. Way more then pot has ever done.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:39 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
When I lived in Madison County, Florida, about half the black jail population (and none of the white jail population) were serving time for driving cars with registration or licensing irregularities. Jail space being occu;ied by people who are even LESS criminal and dangerous to public safety than MJ users. This fact was easily verified by the local newspaper, which published a weekly list of sentences and the nature of the offense. Typical sentences for these heinous sociopaths was 6 weeks.

I think folks driving without insurance & unregistered are a much greater danger than potheads. How do marijuana smokers put you or me at risk?

Old 04-23-2009, 07:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Never said alcohol should be illegal. A person should have the right to put what ever they want in their body as long as they are not harming anyone

Alcohol is not a psycho-active it's a depressant

The majority of marijuana users oppose alcohol. To say that people who smoke will also drink is not true.

"Alcohol is more widely used than marijuana." my point. Nothing is being done to stop people from using alcohol. Alcohol is a deadly drug that harms thousands each year but there is no campaign being done to stop it. It's cheap,easy to get, and the basis of all social functions. People see it as the most harmless thing on this earth take you for example. Yet it destroys so many. Way more then pot has ever done.
But did tey it called prohabition. that is the problem once satrted its hard or imposssible to stop as it become commonin usage. personally alcohol is bnad enogh we don't need to approve the use of other drugs that are not prescribed. i see nothig worng with medical usage as long as its passed by teh FDA like all toher prescription drugs.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:10 PM

784 posts, read 2,265,513 times
I was told by an english professor a good many years back that marijuana was outlawed because at the time it was legal and more people were buying marijuana than alcohol. It was then outlawed because the "big wigs" owned the alcohol companies. Political.

Then I saw that documentary with Woody Harrelson who said that it was criminalized because when the mexicans came into this country they were "fans" of it. The government hired many scientists to conduct tests to prove that marijuana was dangerous. None of those studies could, so they (the government) fabricated their own myths to villianize it. Remember the old commercials and or public health commercials where the person smokes it and kills someone. This worked for years. Then they said it would lead to other drugs (which was also never proven). They used that for many years.

I personally believe that it might be a combination of the two...

The truth is, is that for all of their time and money, nothing beyond (Linking marijuana usage with some tar levels as what you get with any type of ciggarettes) could come as a result of smoking marijuana. I personally agree with another person and think that alcohol is far worse. I could talk for a week about why, but I will let each individuals commen sense figure out why. I do think marijuana should be legal. I don't know if they ever will. I also wonder if them legalizing it would be a good idea. If you smoke your probably better off buying it from a "regular person" than from the government. If the government legalized it they would probably sell it at rediculous prices, and would tax the he ll out of it.

It is almost a ticket for small amounts in many states. However, it is still illegal. Just being caught with a small amount in some states would prohibit someone from getting federal student loans. So I do think they should legalize if not for that reason alone plus I think of it as much safer than alcohol. I know some people who are mean without it. I think it is a good and safe drug.

Ask yourself this honestly. Would you rather walk by a group of drunks on a darkened street late at night. Or would you rather walk by a group of pot smokers who have just smoked their last bong?

Legalize it and show that we can be proggressive..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates