U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2010, 05:48 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,015,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Where exactly are those life-sized gingerbread homes from that picture? I half expect Oompa Loompas to come marching out singing some song admonishing for some undesirable personality trait.

They are pretty cool though, especially the little deck up top. I wonder what the sq footage is on 'em.
Seriously?

Have you been in any urban area? I just bought a house in a city and my total lot size is 980 sqft, and half of that is a deck/patio area. That is pretty normal when you get out of the suburbs.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:29 AM

10,341 posts, read 9,982,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelwoman View Post
I honestly can't see the attraction of big livin'. I'm in Wyoming, which is 'bout 75% rural, & it's damn peaceful. I just can't understand why the hell these high-maintenance sons of ******* wanna ruin this country that they keep on ramblin' 'bout on TV. I own a horsefarm/ranche in Cody. It's beautiful. Gotta pretty nice, small farmhouse (enough to shelter five low-maintenance people.) I don't need to be rich & beyond the norm & I certainly don't think anyone else needs it either. I've never been pampered & it pisses me off when people act like it's a necessity.

Moderator cut: Inappropriate

My salary may not be what these rich [mod]inappropriate[/mod is, but it's what I make & it's what I'm proud of. I live off of what I got, but never press the limmits just so I can have more than what an average person of my income would have.
You tell it like it is and don't pull the punches! Sound's like your philosophy is the same as mine: a high salary is unimportant in the absence of need.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:09 PM

9,856 posts, read 13,015,465 times
As I said before, I just moved to a rowhome on a total lot size of 980 sqft, and the thing I noticed the most was how much EASER living is. When friends and co-workers are mowing their lawns, cleaning gutters, cleaning, etc. I am actually outside running/biking/doing what I love to do. Five years ago I would never have pictured myself as a small-home, city person, but now I would much rather walk a few blocks to the park than have my own yard that I actually have to keep up with.

I grew up in the suburbs and assumed the hours and hours of upkeep that comes with owning a home was normal. In the last few months I realized that smaller houses and simpler living spaces allow for more free time, less headaches and less financial drain...

To each his own, this is 100% my opinion, but I am absolutely willing to eat my words and say I am a simple-living, small space convert.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-23-2010 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: No discussion of mod activity, please.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:28 PM

8,268 posts, read 10,377,187 times
I'm in-between.

I grew up in mostly in mostly denser urban areas, then eventually moved to Phoenix area and lived the bigger house suburban life for a few years before deciding it wasn't for me so now in a smaller 2BR townhome. I have no interest in taking care of a lawn or having bedrooms labelled "guest room" that server no other purpose again, what a waste of time.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:21 PM

10,341 posts, read 9,982,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
As I said before, I just moved to a rowhome on a total lot size of 980 sqft, and the thing I noticed the most was how much EASER living is. When friends and co-workers are mowing their lawns, cleaning gutters, cleaning, etc. I am actually outside running/biking/doing what I love to do. Five years ago I would never have pictured myself as a small-home, city person, but now I would much rather walk a few blocks to the park than have my own yard that I actually have to keep up with.

I grew up in the suburbs and assumed the hours and hours of upkeep that comes with owning a home was normal. In the last few months I realized that smaller houses and simpler living spaces allow for more free time, less headaches and less financial drain...

To each his own, this is 100% my opinion, but I am absolutely willing to eat my words and say I am a simple-living, small space convert.
This is exactly the way I feel about 'city living' as well. I'm planning a move to a more rural setting (still a very small house, though), but if I were looking to the city (or if I ever do), I would definitely not do the suburb thing. If I'm going to live in the city, I want the perks a city has to offer right there, not 20 miles away. I'd like parks, grocery stores and basic needs within walking distance, or just a short bike ride or drive away. I'd like walking or biking to be the norm, rather than the exception. People around here hop in their car to go two doors down the block! Seeing someone walking, other than to their mailbox, is actually rather rare.

And no lawn to fuss with. It's not big enough to have any fun on like a big park is, but it is big enough to take up a lot of time and space--I don't see the point. If it's small enough of a lawn to mow with a manual push mower in three minutes or less... I might consider it.

Big urban yards (that are just decoration, anyway) and big houses just eat up time and money with little return satisfaction for someone like me (and it sounds like you too, now ).

Quote:
...smaller houses and simpler living spaces allow for more free time, less headaches and less financial drain...
These words of yours should be etched in stone somewhere. This sums it up perfectly! I just wish more people would discover that "living small" actually allows the part of your life that is really enjoyable to "live big." You actually have time to live! Free time not spent maintaining or financing a giant 5000 sq ft ball and chain.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:40 PM

29,462 posts, read 33,705,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
You need to increase your circle of acqaintances. Most people I know are NOT unemployed or broke. MOST of my friends and relatives are gainfully employed or happily retired with the finances to live more than comfortably. In fact, I know of only 1 who has been laid off or finds him/herself unemployed at this time.
I'm with you. I retired and paid cash for a beautiful new home and with the exception of my new luxury car the other toys are fully paid for.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:52 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,798,499 times
Hmmm.....have kids and much changes.Especially the need for a higher income.

Live in the city (or the entire state of FL)? Urban schools can be horrible. Private school is not cheap. Kids need soccer, gymnastics, football, instrumental, etc lessons? What about the cost of the supplies/uniforms/instruments? Everything changes once you have kids.

What if you want to travel? See the world? See different cultures? Thats not about being a consumer thats about exploration and learning about new cultures. Costs a pretty penny.

Personally I am quite happy and thankful for our large income. Could we be happy without it? Of course. But we would no longer have the wonderful opportunities that we can give to our children either.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:46 AM

15,908 posts, read 9,645,954 times
There is no question that I want to live comfortably. Do I need to be rich? No? Would I like to? Well, who wouldn't? With that said, success doesn't always have to mean being a gazillionaire. To me being happy at what I do and peace of mind is more important. I'd rather be happy making $50K a year, than make $100K a year and be completely miserable! And trust me, I consider myself a hard worker.

Remember, he who dies with the most toys... still dies. You can't take posessions with you!

Old 06-28-2010, 10:13 AM

25,107 posts, read 34,366,957 times
While I may work in the city, I definitley DO NOT want to LIVE in the city. A 100 mile round trip each day (home / office) suits me just fine as it allows me to relax in absolute solitude.

My property is such that I can keep the travel trailer and boat without anyone complaining.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:37 AM

88 posts, read 64,081 times
Quote:

I never heard of a lot that is 980 sf. That is tiny for a house, not a lot. Even a small lot is 5000 sf. My lot in metro socal is 8200 sf, and it isn't particularly large.

Me thinks you are confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates