U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 01:31 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,266,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Exactly...I have no grass at all, just a deck out back. There is a park two blocks from my house, so I have plenty of grass when I want it with none of the upkeep.
I live in an apartment--I don't have to worry about mowing grass. I was thinking about housing in places such as Boston, New York, Philadelphia--honest to God cities where people live, as well as work. They're not big on yards.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:32 PM

3,637 posts, read 5,262,215 times
I live in a rural state. We have 3 vehicles.

Vehicle #1 is my car AKA the family sedan. It's the grocery-getter, kid shuffler, family get-a-way car etc. Vehicle #2 once was car #1 in terms of what it did, but now (being paid for completely) serves as Dad's back and forth to work car. It is an older sedan with far better gas milage than Vehicle #3 which is a 2003 Dodge Ram with a whirlpool in the tank and because of that, primarily sits in the upper driveway. We use it only when necessary such as when Dad or I need to get to work in a raging snowstorm, hauling recreational equipment, or while hauling supplies needed for home improvement projects. Living without a truck (which we once did) was nearly impossible.

I consider that more responsible than running the truck back and forth to work Monday - Friday.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:56 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times
Quote:
So is is smarter for that couple to own a 15,000 sqft home and ignore the upcoming environmental crisis while at the same time spending more money or live in a smaller home with a smaller footprint and invest the difference?

Wouldn't you rather be on the golf course than mowing your lawn? I know I would.
Uggg - I hate golf. As for mowing my lawn - I live in the desert - I have desert landscaping. And what maintenence there is, I hire a landscape company to do it.

And, in my case, my kids don't need money from me -- they are fine.

No, I don't buy into this supposed "upcoming enviornment crisis". In Arizona, our utility companies are developing alternative energy sources - and our power is water (hydro), solar and wind. So, we don't have that "crisis" mentality that some do.

If someone wants to have a 15K sq foot home - great. They can do as they want.

I don't have extra vehicles. In fact - there will be a fourth added soon -

I don't believe in controlling others lifestyle - I believe in letting people live as they want to.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:28 PM

22,151 posts, read 26,611,024 times
Quote:
So is is smarter for that couple to own a 15,000 sqft home and ignore the upcoming environmental crisis while at the same time spending more money or live in a smaller home with a smaller footprint and invest the difference?
What "upcoming environmental crisis?"

Old 06-29-2010, 07:30 PM

9,856 posts, read 13,013,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Uggg - I hate golf. As for mowing my lawn - I live in the desert - I have desert landscaping. And what maintenence there is, I hire a landscape company to do it.

And, in my case, my kids don't need money from me -- they are fine.

No, I don't buy into this supposed "upcoming enviornment crisis". In Arizona, our utility companies are developing alternative energy sources - and our power is water (hydro), solar and wind. So, we don't have that "crisis" mentality that some do.

If someone wants to have a 15K sq foot home - great. They can do as they want.

I don't have extra vehicles. In fact - there will be a fourth added soon -

I don't believe in controlling others lifestyle - I believe in letting people live as they want to.
If you want to stick your head in the sand and think only of yourself, then that is fine, just realize the selfishness of your attitude.

I believe in trying to help the community around you with the resources you have instead of spending your extra cash on 'toys' and absurdly large homes. If your kids don't need money from you then someone else would definitely benefit from it. The next time you drive by a homeless person, or someone who is starving in one of your four cars, try and feel that little tickle in the back of your head - that is your conscience trying to poke its way out from behind the wall of your own greed. But hey - that is just my opinion. Do what you want. Here is a fact for you - you and your significant other do not need more than two cars. For your particular situation, they don't serve needs, they serve wants. If you want four cars then fine, but don't claim it is out of need.

I am guessing you are over 50 years old. Your attitude belies someone who is too old and stubborn to see that the world has actually changed in the last few decades....

Old 06-29-2010, 08:35 PM

8,268 posts, read 10,374,989 times
The next time you are eating out at one of those 15 restaurants do you need to be eating out when you could save money eating at home? Do you need more than one pair of tennis shoes or jeans?

That line of reasoning can always be taken to the next level.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:33 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
The next time you are eating out at one of those 15 restaurants do you need to be eating out when you could save money eating at home? Do you need more than one pair of tennis shoes or jeans?

That line of reasoning can always be taken to the next level.
I really do ask myself those questions. I have only 2 pairs of jeans. 3 pairs of work slacks. 4 skirts; 2 dressy, 2 casual. 1 pair of sneakers. 3 pairs of shoes dressy enough for work. Lots of VERY cheap flip flops for casual wear.

I rarely go out to eat. And I never worry about paying the bills. My only debts are my mortgage and my car note.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:20 AM

25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times
Quote:
If you want to stick your head in the sand and think only of yourself, then that is fine, just realize the selfishness of your attitude.
AND, if you wish to control how others live and tell them how to do it - then fine.

However, I believe in allowing Americans to have a choice in how to live their lives. There is no one size fits all scenario.

For instance, you are judging me and criticizing me without knowing me or what I do. IMO, that is wrong to do. Yet, you do it.

Control v Freedom

I choose freedom.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:25 AM

1,055 posts, read 2,053,799 times
Some Americans do live too big. One way is by buying too many cars. There should maybe be two max, maybe three if your teen in starting to drive and needs to go to work on his or her own. Another way is eating out all the time (sometimes this is just laziness. Others, it is because people just don't want to buy fresh fruits and veggies because, for some reason, they are always expensive). My fellow Americans are a very greedy and wasteful lot. It is because they have this "myth of plenty" that everything that they want and need will always be around. I don't think they will truly learn until some disaster comes along, and no, they will not be able to bring their gas guzzlers and knick knacks with them.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:26 AM

1,055 posts, read 2,053,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
AND, if you wish to control how others live and tell them how to do it - then fine.

However, I believe in allowing Americans to have a choice in how to live their lives. There is no one size fits all scenario.

For instance, you are judging me and criticizing me without knowing me or what I do. IMO, that is wrong to do. Yet, you do it.

Control v Freedom

I choose freedom.
No one is truly free, not even in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates