U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 11:17 AM

3,277 posts, read 4,494,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
I don't see the problem with a big home, car, meals, and such if you can afford it. What's the big deal with living well?
Externalities.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:00 PM

6,307 posts, read 7,135,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda_Cooperstone1 View Post
Yes Canadians own big homes too but in my experience they are more humbled. Americans seem to look down on people if they do not have a walk in closet or double sinks in there master bath. I mean really is that important?

But they also seem to live off of creadit more than us? Why is that?
In my experience, there is absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Admittedly, the vast majority of what I have seen in Canada is in sounthern B.C., but from what I have seen and experienced, there is no real difference between the lifestyle which is lived there and what I have seen in many places in the U.S.

Big and expensive cars? Heck yeah. Big houses? Heck yeah. Living beyond your means? Of course. Crowded fast food restaurants as far as the eye can see? Without a doubt.

Maybe it's the groups of people I tend to associate myself with, but I have yet to see anyone with "things" that is either apologetic for what they have, or boastful (on either side of the border).

Perhaps if we try to discard our stereotypes and actually look at individuals, we would see that there aren't too many differences between us, for better or for worse.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:38 AM

536 posts, read 1,645,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda_Cooperstone1 View Post
Ok even if you watch the home shows or not, Americans live to big. The living room/kitchen not big enough, the master bedroom bathroom not big enough. All I ever see or read nothing is big enough. As a Canadian I would say are you Moderator cut: language me I would love this.
Funny because alot of those shows are filmed in Canada

A friend of mine has a huge home (5000 sq ft) and had some visitors from Europe. They constantly commented on how spoiled we Americans are. But that was not a good example as he represents such a small portion of the US.

You can pay just as much if not more for homes in the UK, Canada, China, Japan.

I think our idea of what is important has changed alot over the years. A home went from providing only shelter to whatever it is today. But I do not feel guilty as both my spouse and I work. Not saying I deserve it...but I did pay for it

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-20-2010 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 04-27-2009, 09:54 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,798,792 times
I'm not one to beat someone over the head and tell them their lives are ostentatious. If you can afford it, go right ahead, because I have my splurges as well. We recently downsized our living arrangements by 2/3 or so by moving out of our old house and into a much smaller one. The entire LOT of our new house is smaller than my old houses driveway! It just got to be too much to keep track of, too much to clean and the fact that we needed roommates to pay for it was ridiculous.

I understand that many people want giant houses and giant SUVs and yes, I will roll my eyes at you and think that it's people like you who are destroying the planet one house sized car at a time, but oh well. I chose to live my life simply and without clutter and that's what makes me feel comfortable, and may not work for everyone. If you need the room and can afford it, go for it. Just don't expect me to jump for joy and congratulate you on it.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:37 AM

20,017 posts, read 20,519,392 times
Quote:
Ok even if you watch the home shows or not, Americans live to big. The living room/kitchen not big enough, the master bedroom bathroom not big enough. All I ever see or read nothing is big enough. As a Canadian I would say are you Shi*ting me I would love this.
As someone else said, you watch too much TV and maybe think all americans live in homes featured in magazines. Guess your dont subscribe to trailer trash weekly. LOL. If Americans work hard and make $$ why shouldnt they have a big house, big car, heck big hair if thats what they want. If I had the money, I build and live in a castle.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:36 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,219,652 times
I think you're watching too much tv too. Not ALL Americans live like that. Most of the people I know in this town are still living in tiny cramped apartments even at 50 yrs of age. My own apartment is 400 sq feet. Most I know don't own diamonds either, well probably because few are married. I don't even own any rings. I never buy coffee, seldom go out to eat, have a cheap prepaid cellphone that costs maybe $10 a month to use and I still use phone dialup internet. I also don't go to movies, have never ever been to a concert or professional ballgame and never have been on a cruise or a vacation other than flying back once every year or two to see family, but never actually touring any new places hmmm and I also don't celebrate, go out or decorate for any holidays. We don't all live big.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:35 PM

233 posts, read 577,886 times
I can see what the OP is getting at by watching TV.

When I watch those HGTV shows (Bang For Your Buck comes to mind), all I see is oversized renovations and the critics telling them they missed out because they don't have dual vanities, top-of-the-line stainless steel appliances (to make chicken strips), granite countertops, lacquer cabinets, or a walk-in shower with six jets.

But I guess that's the point of those shows - to indicate what increases home values in the appropriate neighborhood.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:54 AM

5,748 posts, read 10,505,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
ohhhh. So this has nothing to do with what is actually acquired, it is more about humbleness and a condescending attitude.
I do think that Americans believe wholeheartedly in the bigger, better, faster mentality. It's deeply ingrained in us. In some ways that's an excellent attribute. American companies are often (but not always) on the cutting edge of advances in medicine and technology, for example. But on the flip side, our penchant for bigger, better, faster also gets us into trouble when we can't legitimately afford it, as we've learned the hard way over the past couple of years.

It takes a lot of gumption in the U.S. to dial it back. People think you're in financial trouble or just plain crazy if you down-size. It's taken for granted that your next car will be faster and your next house will be bigger or at least more extravagant. The constant striving is exhausting because it's never-ending, and there doesn't seem to be much time to stop and express gratitude for what you already have in your life, but I'm working on it.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 04-24-2010 at 09:46 AM..

Old 04-24-2010, 10:27 AM

541 posts, read 1,115,666 times
i had this feeling,when i came to usa,as european...cars big,houses big,streets big,stores huge..everything big...but in addition also big car,big debts at teh bac,big house big debts at the banc...the debts are big too...i met so many americans who wnanted more that they could afford (biggger house,bigger car) and ended in their neck in debts...i met very few persons,who have no debts in usa...yes,the debts are big too....unfortunately..and not a low percent,a very high percent,americans have a lot of debts..they pay for the big life style unfortunately,too many of them..i do nto threw all in one pot,but a high percent are finacially irresponsable hier and it is soo shocking for an european,who is finacially very responsable and generally i think,europeans can handle money better..americans will start to realize now in such a bad economy...they will change,they will have no other choice...
Why can't Americans save a dime? - MSN Money (http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/savinganddebt/savemoney/p145775.asp - broken link)

43 Percent Of Americans Have Less Than 10,000 Dollars Saved For Retirement

so..when you think at the american refrigerateur,think at the account,that belong to it...i prefer a small refrigerateur,but no debts...that is why,so many europeans have no debts..

Old 04-24-2010, 11:02 AM

9,807 posts, read 12,906,251 times
Nearly everyone is posting that the OP is wrong and generalizing ( then post themselves as proof to the contrary )

I disagree and believe the OP is spot on in his observations.

Go to the Real Estate forum and see how many people ridicule small ,new houses.
They are called " cookie cutters" and " tiny boxes" by many.

Yes, I agree with a poster who said Americans spend their money they earn and all that they can borrow.

A friend of mine worked for a title/abstract company that did closings.( the company was not a lender, but did closings at their office)

During the " boomyears" my friend never had a single closing on a re-finance that didn't involve rolling over credit card debt.

When I entered the workforce in the 1960's, the progression of housing for Americans went as follows-------young newly weds started out in a used trailer house in a mobile home park. They then progressed to a smaller,older home that they owned.
Hopefully, about 15 years later, they moved into a new house.

That new house was usually smaller than the houses young couples buy today as their new house to start out.

Sure, posters such as Branson can post that he is different but I believe Branson20yrs is the exceprion rather than the rule.

If he wasn't the exception, the country wouldn't be in the housing mess we are in today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates