Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 04:49 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times

Advertisements

Well, I don't think that success necessarily translates to wealth. And I am not sure that's what semper meant. Even if you do something that doesn't make money, there is still an innate drive to do and be the best at that thing...I think that is the difference. Everyone should pursue what interests them, but people who waffling through life not doing much of anything or really giving their all to anything can be kind of hard for some of us to understand.

It may be a personal failing of mine, but I can't really respect people who coast. It's not about the money. It's about the effort and drive.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:31 AM

65 posts, read 92,934 times
Default Stuff

i like the home and garden programs on tv, although it is irritating for me to see some of the people on it complaining that their 2,500 sq ft home isn't big enough for three people (with one on the way) but if they can afford it, it's their choice. i just hope they CAN afford it. imo too many people use emotion when purchasing a big ticket item (house, car etc) instead of their heads. too many people think that bigger is ALWAYS better and that newer is ALWAYS better. more, more, more. we have become too much of a throw away society. (i've definetly been guilty of that myself) madison ave advertising certainly comes into play for that (i have gotten to the point where i don't want to buy from any company who advertises "YOU DESERVE IT") i don't really need it... i can't afford it... but damn it i DESERVE it and i'm going to get it! (you get the idea). i'd come to a point where i realized that i don't need so much of the STUFF that i had in my home, it basically was becoming clutter in my life. do i really need a copy of every john grisham novel printed? every kitchen applicance or gadget? a cashmere sweater in every color? six sets of bed sheets for each bed? etc. so, i started getting rid it, ALOT of it. do you really NEED it? LOVE it? no? then give it to good will, salvation army, your church bazar etc., maybe someone else actually needs it or loves it. 99% of it i have NEVER missed.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:02 PM

968 posts, read 2,623,491 times
well i have to chime in here.

why is liking the finer things in life sometimes equated to "living too big?" we have starbucks which is 4 bucks for coffee, why not put that into your house and save some money?

we have restaurants that serve wine, why not put that into your house? an ornate wine storage closet?

you see these absolutely amazing designs, why not have your house designed the same way?

a 6,000 square foot home does not impress me.

a 2500 square foot home with hand painted ceilings, a travertine bar in the front room, hand carved wood detailing in the kitchen, floating stairs leading to the master bedroom, and a well planned outdoor relaxation area, impresses me.

there is something about part of the the european culture that impresses me. they dont' give a crap about size (i live in texas so not conforming to "bigger is better" really sets me out from the crowd) the europeans have been driving small but impressive cars for years, they live in small but very detail sensed houses for a long time. the craftmanship in europe is beautiful, we americans are behind on quality.

so my argument is, americas "bigger" is not better, however americas "better living" is better.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:34 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,656,070 times
I wonder how much longer those who are living large will be able to do so if we're on the slippery down slope of peak oil?

If we paid what Europeans and Canadians did for oil/utilities I doubt we'd be driving as many cars as far as we do...cheap oil has made us able to do this.

To me, gobbling up more than our fair share of resources seems rather piggish of us. It's not whether we can afford to do so, but whether ethically, we're right to do so...

There's only so much oil, so many trees, so much unpolluted land. Seems we'd want to make it last for future generations...kind of like saving for a rainy day...

It bears thinking about...

Old 05-04-2010, 01:29 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,581 times
It won't last much longer, the standard of living for Americans is declining rapidly due to high unemployment and poor wages. Within 50 years the standard of living here will be worse than what Haiti's is now.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:45 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,462,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Well, I don't think that success necessarily translates to wealth. And I am not sure that's what semper meant. Even if you do something that doesn't make money, there is still an innate drive to do and be the best at that thing...I think that is the difference. Everyone should pursue what interests them, but people who waffling through life not doing much of anything or really giving their all to anything can be kind of hard for some of us to understand.

It may be a personal failing of mine, but I can't really respect people who coast. It's not about the money. It's about the effort and drive.
Not everybody is the same. If somebody enjoys surfing or skiing, and they have figured out a (legal) way to live modestly and live that life... Who cares? More power to them I say. I admire people like that actually. Happiness is all that matters, and there is no set definition for it, despite what angry man says.

I've had varying degrees of income over the years based on what I was doing. When I approached a higher salary than I anticipated I didn't upgrade. I didn't buy a new car, new clothes, bigger house, new TVs etc. I just don't care. I have a nice watch my wife gave me for Father's day ten years ago, no need to buy a new one. I have the same car that is in perfect condition (8 yrs), why buy a new one? I didn't need more house etc...I was already happy making half the money prior. So when I made more, I just invested it and was thankful for it.

I don't care what others do above me on the ladder, nor do I care what others do below me. Be happy is my motto. Life is too short. Could I get more house? Of course I could. I could get a bigger home and fill it with new cars, clothes etc tomorrow if I wanted. But I'd rather keep what I have, and retire early so I can ski, travel, hike...do some real living. That's life to me...experience.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:44 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Not everybody is the same. If somebody enjoys surfing or skiing, and they have figured out a (legal) way to live modestly and live that life... Who cares?

But I'd rather keep what I have, and retire early so I can ski, travel, hike...do some real living. That's life to me...experience.
See? Different passions. Anything I do, I do full out. No half-assing. Work. Sports. Whatever.

I also live on about 1/3 of my income and dump the rest in savings because one day I plan to be secure and able to do whatever I want but still provide for my kids and elderly parents.

Even then, however, I plan to work hard and embrace my passions with conviction. I'll find ways to be productive and contribute.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:29 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
I could get a bigger home and fill it with new cars, clothes etc tomorrow if I wanted. But I'd rather keep what I have, and retire early so I can ski, travel, hike...do some real living. That's life to me...experience.

I agree. Perhaps there are two types of people in the world? Those who value "stuff" vs. those who value "experiences".

A bigger house, a larger car, more "stuff" to take care of. It can become a burden. Don't ask me how I know.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:32 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,049,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I agree. Perhaps there are two types of people in the world? Those who value "stuff" vs. those who value "experiences".

A bigger house, a larger car, more "stuff" to take care of. It can become a burden. Don't ask me how I know.
It's not too late. Two years ago, we gave away about half of our belongings and moved into a smaller house. If you want a smaller life, too, there's nothing standing in your way but the stuff.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 05-04-2010 at 09:53 AM..

Old 05-04-2010, 10:03 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,462,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post

More work, and for what? An average house can eat up a lot of time and money. I don't need twice the upkeep, or twice the cost.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-20-2010 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: Edited out reference to deleted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates