Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 10:58 AM

176 posts, read 638,787 times

Advertisements

Canadian houses can be elaborate too ya know. Not bragging or anything, just saying that as a Canadian who moved to NYC and notices this on my return there. They have more space/land.
I think someone alluded to this point earlier?

Old 04-25-2009, 01:33 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
It really depends on if you can afford it. Just look at the past and you will see many that actaully lived bigger;as you call it;if they could afford it. In fact the difference between lifestyles as far as homes is even bigger in most other countries as to income level.Just as a exampole you pay alot more for the same vehicle in Canada. You might also live in a more modest home in the UK but acaully paid alot more. That is certainly true in japan. So living big is really realtive IMO.I can ceretainly drive to teh store and buy pork chops in 30 minutes from my house but i wouldn;t want to live where I could walk to get them in that amount of time.I presonally don't want to live in a shooping area myself but many in the US do in fact live that way in many urban areas. i also like having a refrigerator over living without one. i have experienced both.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:22 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda_Cooperstone1 View Post
As a Canadian I would say are you Moderator cut: language me I would love this.
"As a Canadian"???

I've seen quite a bit of conspicuous consumption north of the border. While it may not be the way you live, or want to live, many of your compatriots share the same "ideals" that you are deriding as "American".

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-20-2010 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 04-25-2009, 09:06 PM

458 posts, read 1,355,749 times
Ok let me phrase this so everyone can understand, although those of you who argued about a size of a home proved my point. When I said Americans live to big it did not mean to boast about an 800sq foot kitchen. Although that helped prove my point. What I meant was they live to BIG. meaning it seems to matter to them what they own. A bigger home, a better car, etc. Yes Canadians own big homes too but in my experience they are more humbled. Americans seem to look down on people if they do not have a walk in closet or double sinks in there master bath. I mean really is that important?

But they also seem to live off of creadit more than us? Why is that?

Old 04-25-2009, 09:12 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
ohhhh. So this has nothing to do with what is actually acquired, it is more about humbleness and a condescending attitude.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:19 PM

458 posts, read 1,355,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
ohhhh. So this has nothing to do with what is actually acquired, it is more about humbleness and a condescending attitude.
Umm NO it is about living to BIG

Old 04-25-2009, 09:23 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Well, if your labeling all Americans as that then your paying attention to one segment of society. By defining all Americans as not being humble and that they all look down on those who don't have double sinks is pretty over reaching. Surely, you do not believe that?

Old 04-25-2009, 09:31 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda_Cooperstone1 View Post
Ok let me phrase this so everyone can understand, although those of you who argued about a size of a home proved my point. When I said Americans live to big it did not mean to boast about an 800sq foot kitchen. Although that helped prove my point. What I meant was they live to BIG. meaning it seems to matter to them what they own. A bigger home, a better car, etc. Yes Canadians own big homes too but in my experience they are more humbled. Americans seem to look down on people if they do not have a walk in closet or double sinks in there master bath. I mean really is that important?

But they also seem to live off of creadit more than us? Why is that?
You have been watching too much TV. Its more a stereotype really. But that said i personally like to livee as big as I can afford. I guess people in cramped apartments think its not necessary but personally I just see that as envy;like many things those more well off have to suffer. I just hope I have to suffer more in the coming years. Get over yourself is what I say .Let each to his own as long as they can afford it.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:43 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,644 times
I think Americans eat too big.. Portion sizes at fast food places are HUGE. Please say no to biggie size and extra 'value' meals. Health issues from eating this crap are a bigger threat to America's future prosperity than practically anything else.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:50 AM

806 posts, read 2,960,222 times
I don't see the problem with a big home, car, meals, and such if you can afford it. What's the big deal with living well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates