U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 06:06 AM

14,969 posts, read 13,761,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
In my opinion, any "crime" that does not negatively affect another person, isn't a crime at all. All drugs should be legalized, who the **** is the government to tell someone what they can put in their body? It would be like making masturbation illegal or something. It has no negative affects on the public, but people see it as taboo so they want it to go away. Its ridiculous.
Drug usage does negatively affect others and it IS a crime actually. Tobacco, for example, should not be illegal, but the government has every right to ban any drug that is an intoxicant. You do not have a right to put anything in your body that can cause your mental state to present a danger to others. Period.

Look at the negative effects alcohol have had on far more people than simply the ones using them. This is why other intoxicants should not be legalized. I'm not suggesting banning alcohol, but I would like to see more restrictions imposed on it and would be strongly against making any additional intoxicating substances legally available.

Mastrubation, as you mentioned, does not have negative effects on the public and thus it is not and should not be illegal.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 04-29-2009 at 06:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 07:37 AM

3,566 posts, read 4,489,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
If marijuana was decriminalized or legalized would it prevent the other drug users (crack/powder cocaine, meth, heroin and PCP) from getting out within days of their arrest and would it help lower the crime rate cause the majority of the other drug users are serving a decent amount of time in jail?

I don't think any pot smoker would contribute to crime just to support their habits like the other drug users and I don't find pot to be nearly as addicting as alcohol or any other kind of drug

Sure they do. They still beat up those that have it in an effort to steal it or they still break and enter into houses to take it from someone else. Your still going to find those that drive while high. If it is legalized, then it has to be controlled or will be controlled, but by whom? In doing so, are their opportunities abound for other types of crime at a "higher" level or by people that we do not look at with horror?

Old 04-29-2009, 08:36 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,465,565 times
Most people who enjoy pot smoking want it to be legal. Of course they wouldn't see any problems with it. Of course they wouldn't see the effects of it on society (lower mental capabilities, impaired behavior while driving, brain deterioration, etc.). Anybody on crack would think the same way. Anybody on alcohol thinks that way. Anything to justify their behavior.

Legalizing pot would only serve to pat those on the head who smoke it, telling them it's ok. It's not ok.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:49 AM

6,940 posts, read 8,872,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
I don't find pot to be nearly as addicting as alcohol or any other kind of drug
The wording suggests you've tried to get addicted to 'em all personally.

I think legalizing weed would clear a lot of badly-needed beds in jails and prisons for the violent offenders. I think it would have a lot of other benefits, too, except for criminal lawyers maybe. Of course if pot were legal, they'd be out in the streets agitating to legalize coke and meth and heroin, too. THAT would be interesting.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:36 PM

2,518 posts, read 1,844,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Drug usage does negatively affect others and it IS a crime actually. Tobacco, for example, should not be illegal, but the government has every right to ban any drug that is an intoxicant. You do not have a right to put anything in your body that can cause your mental state to present a danger to others. Period.

Look at the negative effects alcohol have had on far more people than simply the ones using them. This is why other intoxicants should not be legalized. I'm not suggesting banning alcohol, but I would like to see more restrictions imposed on it and would be strongly against making any additional intoxicating substances legally available.

Mastrubation, as you mentioned, does not have negative effects on the public and thus it is not and should not be illegal.
Sex is an intoxicant. It releases endorphins.
Exercise does the same thing.
Cigarettes are an intoxicant that are also highly addictive.
Caffiene is an intoxicant.
Many over-the-counter medications are intoxicants.

Give me a break. How can someone who smoked a little weed be somehow more dangerous than someone who has drunk alcohol?

Old 04-29-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Sure they do. They still beat up those that have it in an effort to steal it or they still break and enter into houses to take it from someone else. Your still going to find those that drive while high. If it is legalized, then it has to be controlled or will be controlled, but by whom? In doing so, are their opportunities abound for other types of crime at a "higher" level or by people that we do not look at with horror?
The only people who do that are thugs who belong in prison anyways. They are the kinds of people who rob others simply because they're too lazy to do things themselves. No pothead that isn't a thuggish criminal already (with or without the usage of pot, they'd still be a criminal) would ever rob someone or beat someone up for weed. Seriously, are you kidding?

Plus, I just read a story about a man who got stabbed because he wouldn't share his cigarette.
Quote:
Stabbed smoker says he refused to share cigarette

LA MESA: A man reported being stabbed early yesterday when he tried to stop another man from taking a drag from his cigarette, La Mesa police said.

The victim was smoking in the area of Grossmont Center Drive and Fletcher Parkway about midnight when the other man asked him for a cigarette. The victim said it was his last one. But the other man said he could smoke the cigarette and grabbed it from the victim's mouth, police said.

When the victim tried to get his cigarette back, he was stabbed in the stomach with a sharp object, police said.

The assailant walked away, and the victim went to Sharp Grossmont Hospital. He is expected to survive, police said.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Most people who enjoy pot smoking want it to be legal. Of course they wouldn't see any problems with it. Of course they wouldn't see the effects of it on society (lower mental capabilities, impaired behavior while driving, brain deterioration, etc.). Anybody on crack would think the same way. Anybody on alcohol thinks that way. Anything to justify their behavior.

Legalizing pot would only serve to pat those on the head who smoke it, telling them it's ok. It's not ok.
That's not even remotely true. Ron Paul supports legalization and he's never smoked. My father supports legalization and he's never even had a cigarette (and he served the government as a Republican). The simple fact is anyone with half a brain will realize how moronic having marijuana illegal is. It leads to crime, it shrinks the economy, it creates a massive class of "criminals" out of otherwise law-abiding citizens and it gives power and money to criminal gangs.

And if you're right and people only vote for legalization if they want to smoke weed themselves, does that mean that 41% of Colorado residents smoke marijuana?

It's about more than just a relatively harmless herb (because it's not a "Drug" like Cocaine, Heroin, Ecstasy or Meth), it's about economics and crime. I want police to concentrate on the 40%+ murders that go unsolved every year instead of peaceful stoners.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
That's not even remotely true. Ron Paul supports legalization and he's never smoked. My father supports legalization and he's never even had a cigarette (and he served the government as a Republican). The simple fact is anyone with half a brain will realize how moronic having marijuana illegal is. It leads to crime, it shrinks the economy, it creates a massive class of "criminals" out of otherwise law-abiding citizens and it gives power and money to criminal gangs.

And if you're right and people only vote for legalization if they want to smoke weed themselves, does that mean that 41% of Colorado residents smoke marijuana?

It's about more than just a relatively harmless herb (because it's not a "Drug" like Cocaine, Heroin, Ecstasy or Meth), it's about economics and crime. I want police to concentrate on the 40%+ murders that go unsolved every year instead of peaceful stoners.
Excuse me, but I did not say those who smoke are the only ones who would like it legalized. Most likely ALL those who smoke would like it so, but it is not limited to those who smoke.

What you're not looking at, is if pot was legalized it would lower everything else. Pretty soon, the illegality of crack would come into question and all other illegal drugs.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:34 PM

14,969 posts, read 13,761,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Excuse me, but I did not say those who smoke are the only ones who would like it legalized. Most likely ALL those who smoke would like it so, but it is not limited to those who smoke.

What you're not looking at, is if pot was legalized it would lower everything else. Pretty soon, the illegality of crack would come into question and all other illegal drugs.
Leftydan has stated on other threads that he supports legalizing ALL drugs.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Leftydan has stated on other threads that he supports legalizing ALL drugs.
He would probably want other crimes legalized as well since a lot of them are associated with drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or