Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 05:37 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,349,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
He would probably want other crimes legalized as well since a lot of them are associated with drugs.
I'm not some kind of moron or psycho who believes that you should be able to murder someone or rape them simply because you want to do it. I believe that only those actions that DIRECTLY harm another individual can be considered crimes. If I shoot up some heroin and pass out on my couch or even die of an OD, it's not a crime because I only harmed myself...a consenting adult. However, if I take Meth and go out and stab a cop, I deserve to be locked up for a very long time. That's a pretty simple concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Leftydan has stated on other threads that he supports legalizing ALL drugs.
I believe that drug prohibition puts our lives in danger. How do you argue with the fact that the black market trade of Cocaine and Heroin leads to hundreds of murders within 10 miles of my front door? It also sends billions of dollars into the hands of murdering sociopaths instead of tax-paying American corporations. We also support terrorism through the drug war because the poppy fields are controlled by sponsors of terrorism and they'd be out of business if we legalized and grew poppies within our borders.

Name one positive thing that has come from the drug war.
The drugs are out there and readily available for anyone who wants them (I have never done cocaine, heroin, meth, acid or ecstasy, but could find you some in less than one hour if asked) and the gangs that plague our streets are all mainly financed through the illegal drug trade.

Clearly you people don't understand the consequences of prohibition, you don't seem to read your history and realize that it's identical to Alcohol prohibition. It seems like a good idea in theory (I would love to see all those druggies off their crack) but in reality it just leads to violent criminal gangs reaping the profits of bootlegging.

I don't even drink alcohol (well, maybe 3 or 4 times a year I will have a drink or two) but I support its legalization because it's clearly better legal than illegal. We have major companies that bring billions to our economy every year and employ hundreds of thousands of tax-paying Americans. Before we had the Chicago Syndicate and the Gambino Crime Family (plus the Kennedy's) in control of alcohol.

What is better, having the Juarez Cartel controlling the cocaine business or having it controlled by Biogen-Idec, an American company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 08:09 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
I'm not some kind of moron or psycho who believes that you should be able to murder someone or rape them simply because you want to do it. I believe that only those actions that DIRECTLY harm another individual can be considered crimes. If I shoot up some heroin and pass out on my couch or even die of an OD, it's not a crime because I only harmed myself...a consenting adult. However, if I take Meth and go out and stab a cop, I deserve to be locked up for a very long time. That's a pretty simple concept.

I believe that drug prohibition puts our lives in danger. How do you argue with the fact that the black market trade of Cocaine and Heroin leads to hundreds of murders within 10 miles of my front door? It also sends billions of dollars into the hands of murdering sociopaths instead of tax-paying American corporations. We also support terrorism through the drug war because the poppy fields are controlled by sponsors of terrorism and they'd be out of business if we legalized and grew poppies within our borders.

Name one positive thing that has come from the drug war.
The drugs are out there and readily available for anyone who wants them (I have never done cocaine, heroin, meth, acid or ecstasy, but could find you some in less than one hour if asked) and the gangs that plague our streets are all mainly financed through the illegal drug trade.

Clearly you people don't understand the consequences of prohibition, you don't seem to read your history and realize that it's identical to Alcohol prohibition. It seems like a good idea in theory (I would love to see all those druggies off their crack) but in reality it just leads to violent criminal gangs reaping the profits of bootlegging.

I don't even drink alcohol (well, maybe 3 or 4 times a year I will have a drink or two) but I support its legalization because it's clearly better legal than illegal. We have major companies that bring billions to our economy every year and employ hundreds of thousands of tax-paying Americans. Before we had the Chicago Syndicate and the Gambino Crime Family (plus the Kennedy's) in control of alcohol.

What is better, having the Juarez Cartel controlling the cocaine business or having it controlled by Biogen-Idec, an American company?
The consequences of legalizing drugs would be horrendous. What is the most commonly used drug? ALCOHOL. Why? Because it's LEGAL! And think of the endless consequences alcohol has on society....not only on the person using it.

If heroin, methampetamine, cocaine, LSD, etc. were legalized, they would be far more commonly used. The numbers who use alcohol compared to the numbers who use these substances prove it. The effects of these drugs are worse than the effects of alcohol and the negative consequences for society will be worse as well.

You say "it's not a crime because I'm a consenting adult"...well guess what? IT IS. People are arrested and prosecuted for it every day as they should be.

Did I ever say I supported the war on drugs as we know it? No. I'd support huge changes in our enforcement strategy....but not legalization.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:04 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,657 times
Quote:
The consequences of legalizing drugs would be horrendous. What is the most commonly used drug? ALCOHOL. Why? Because it's LEGAL! And think of the endless consequences alcohol has on society....not only on the person using it.

If heroin, methampetamine, cocaine, LSD, etc. were legalized, they would be far more commonly used. The numbers who use alcohol compared to the numbers who use these substances prove it. The effects of these drugs are worse than the effects of alcohol and the negative consequences for society will be worse as well.

You say "it's not a crime because I'm a consenting adult"...well guess what? IT IS. People are arrested and prosecuted for it every day as they should be.

Did I ever say I supported the war on drugs as we know it? No. I'd support huge changes in our enforcement strategy....but not legalization.
Exactly. Well put.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:07 PM

30 posts, read 54,190 times
Well, yea. I think it should be leagalized. I know if I ever get cancer I'll start smoking the crap out of pot.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:14 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
The only people who do that are thugs who belong in prison anyways. They are the kinds of people who rob others simply because they're too lazy to do things themselves. No pothead that isn't a thuggish criminal already (with or without the usage of pot, they'd still be a criminal) would ever rob someone or beat someone up for weed. Seriously, are you kidding?

Plus, I just read a story about a man who got stabbed because he wouldn't share his cigarette.
No, I'm not kidding. Here is a newsflash, it happens. It does not matter one iota if you set your own criteria in order to weed them out ( no pun intended). You don't get to say.........only these pot smokers but no criminals.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:18 PM

Why shouldn't we legalize pot? We legalized cigerettes and alchahol. Which are causing more deaths than all "illegal" drugs combined. Go figure. It's been used for thousands of years. You can blame the drug companies for not making it illegal. Becaues they know it's far better than anything they have. Now, some other drugs I can understand. Cocaine, meth, heroin should be controlled. They seem to have a more detrimental effect on the user.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:22 PM

............blame drug companies for not making it legal(edit of last post)

Old 04-30-2009, 10:15 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRefileric View Post
... Cocaine, meth, heroin should be controlled. They seem to have a more detrimental effect on the user.
Cocaine, meth and heroin addicts would dispute that. I'm sure THEY think THEIR drug of choice should be legal as well.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:

While illegal, alcohol was STILL the most commonly used drug...because it's part of the culture of every society other than Puritans and Muslims. Japan, China, All of Europe, South America and Mexico all make their own kinds of alcohol.

Who on Earth would just shoot up heroin tomorrow simply because it was legalized? Hard drugs don't exactly appeal to most people, and if legalized, they would be better informed of the danger of them as well. Alcohol is popular because it's highly advertised, and associated with everything from weddings, to rites of passage to watching football. Not too many fathers would say "come on son, you're a man now, let's shoot up some heroin."

Quote:
Just because it's illegal doesn't mean it SHOULD be. If I do no harm to anyone, how can that possibly be a crime?

Quote:
WHAT CHANGES!?!? You've never once said what you would do to improve the current situation. What could you possibly do? They've been illegal for 70+ years and the drug gangs are richer, more dangerous and more powerful than ever. Seriously, what would you suggest?

Old 04-30-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
No, I'm not kidding. Here is a newsflash, it happens. It does not matter one iota if you set your own criteria in order to weed them out ( no pun intended). You don't get to say.........only these pot smokers but no criminals.
Well, when they commit a crime, they will be considered a criminal. Not one of the potheads I know (and I just learned last night the three people who are my neighbors are also pot smokers...they are great neighbors and they've been paying the rent for 5+ years now while all holding their jobs the entire time.) would simply commit a crime just because they wanted some pot to smoke. The ones I know who would rob you for your pot would also steal your iPod if you turned your back. They are dishonest and immoral people...not just people who smoke something just to feel better or to self-medicate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates