U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 12:03 PM

3,088 posts, read 7,634,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
A new Zogsby poll showed that 52% of Americans now favor the taxation and regulation of marijuana. A number up nearly 10% from only a month ago. People are finally opening their eyes, and ignoring the ignorant government propaganda bull****.

Its not just hippes and radicals preaching this. Its Senators, Governors, State Reps, and even Presidents of other countries.
The Mexican Ambassador went on CBS and suggested we end this.

Mexico has been trying for yeeeeears I found out to legalize but the U.S keeps telling them no. Mexico is at the point right now where they are telling us to go f ourselves.

Last edited by nitokenshi; 05-08-2009 at 12:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 01:27 PM

521 posts, read 790,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
The Mexican Ambassador went on CBS and suggested we end this.

Mexico has been trying for yeeeeears I found out to legalize but the U.S keeps telling them no. Mexico is at the point right now where they are telling us to go f ourselves.
And now Mexico has made its own decisions regardless of what the US says

Feature: Mexico Decriminalization Bill Passes -- One Step Forward, Two Steps Back? | Stop the Drug War (DRCNet)

Old 05-08-2009, 03:02 PM

3,088 posts, read 7,634,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forkpower View Post
Yes I know about that and that's what I meant by mexico is at the point of telling us to go f ourselves if you read the article posted....

Quote:
The Mexican Congress passed similar legislation in 2006, but then President Vicente Fox refused to sign it after hearing protests from the Bush administration. This time, though, there has not been a peep out of Washington either for or against the bill.
Mexico doesn't want to hear the b.s anymore nobody does!

Old 05-09-2009, 12:49 PM

3,566 posts, read 4,490,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
Better to give it a 'try' rather than to squash it before even making an attempt. Some of humanities greatest discoveries, inventions and radical revolutionary changes and thoughts were accomplished that way.

Why, thanks for stereotyping and making half assed assumptions about me; it was truly great to read. Rehabilitation doesn't do sh*t when people have the attitude that you are showing. Matter of fact, NOTHING works when you have that 'I've yet to try it, but I know that it just won't work' attitude. In order for it to work, you have to have people who are committed to the cause, who are committed to at least trying, and won't call it quits when it looks like it might not work. Another bright idea, would be not to place rehabilitation centers right next to, well, I don't know, crack houses, ghettos, and in the middle of an inner city where most of the drug trafficking takes place. An even brighter idea would be to, I don't know, make the drugs legal so that the drug trafficking in the inner cities wouldn't take place. Who knows though, I'm just shooting in the dark here.

First, rehabs and homeless shelters and, frankly, any other treatment centers=NIMBY. Legalizing drugs will not change that. How do we know this will continue? We have a historical pattern to follow.

How do we know that drug trafficking will continue? There is money involved.

I'd like to buy the world a coke but I do not think that if we legalize all drugs that we are going to wake up and the streets will we paved with gold and the sun is going to shine.

Are you familiar with deinstitutionalization?

Old 05-09-2009, 03:21 PM

656 posts, read 951,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
First, rehabs and homeless shelters and, frankly, any other treatment centers=NIMBY.
Great attitude to have there bud. You complain and say that rehab centers don't work when you place them right next to the place(s) that is infested with drugs and trafficking and when someone offers an alternative... no way Jose! We don't want them addicts who are trying to recover round us! Let's stick em right back into there ghettos and hoods where it's a 95% chance they'll use again. Good ol American way. Gotta love it.

Quote:
Legalizing drugs will not change that. How do we know this will continue? We have a historical pattern to follow.
If anything, history tells us that the exact opposite happens. Alcohol prohibition anyone? The fall of Al Capone anyone? Methinks you need to revisit history.

Quote:
How do we know that drug trafficking will continue? There is money involved.
The exact opposite happens because the money involved dries up. When you have two people trying to sell a product and one is selling it cheaper than the other, who do you think the buyer is going to go to? It's BECAUSE it's all about the money that legalization will work. Because it's about the money, when legalization occurs, the product is cheaper for the buyer. The buyer won't keep going to the local dealer when they can get it at an RX store for pennies on the dollar. Economics my friend, economics!

Quote:
I'd like to buy the world a coke but I do not think that if we legalize all drugs that we are going to wake up and the streets will we paved with gold and the sun is going to shine.
Never said that would happen. You have to try to be pragmatic and put effort into some things to make them work. It's not going to happen overnight my friend.

Quote:
Are you familiar with deinstitutionalization?
Why yes, yes I am. I'm not able to get a definite statistic atm for the number of those addicted to illegal drugs (minus marijuana) but from googling (I've spent nearly an hour searching and have come up with nothing. Everyone wants to talk about how many people have tried but not about how many are addicted!) and putting numbers together I'm guesstimating that approximately 2 million people are addicted to illegal drugs. If we were to build facilities (NOT in ghettos), hire a full staff who works around the clock, and house them until they are over they've recovered, we'd STILL be paying LESS than we would for the 'war on drugs' (which is approximately 19 billion dollars). That's not even accounting for the wasted money we spend on police (narcotics detectives, who could be looking for the 50% of murderers who go free). Economically speaking, what is the better choice? Legal, or illegal? You decide.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:46 PM

149 posts, read 350,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Drug usage does negatively affect others and it IS a crime actually. Tobacco, for example, should not be illegal, but the government has every right to ban any drug that is an intoxicant. You do not have a right to put anything in your body that can cause your mental state to present a danger to others. Period.

Look at the negative effects alcohol have had on far more people than simply the ones using them. This is why other intoxicants should not be legalized. I'm not suggesting banning alcohol, but I would like to see more restrictions imposed on it and would be strongly against making any additional intoxicating substances legally available.

Mastrubation, as you mentioned, does not have negative effects on the public and thus it is not and should not be illegal.

Marijuana is not nearly as strong of an intoxicant as alcohol. Alcohol should be banned and marijuana legalized. We Americans are back asswards

Old 05-10-2009, 12:20 AM

30 posts, read 47,069 times
I know for a fact the war on drugs isn't working. So if you legalize marajuana, at least there will be one less drug(if you wanna' call it that) for the DEA to not worry about. They can concentrate on better things like some of these experimental drugs that the pharmecuetical companies are coming out with that are killing people. If drugs were legal there wouldn't be any "war on drugs", smuggling, alot of violence south of the border, some terroistst acts. It would be a matter of choice if people wanted to do them. Less people arn't going to do them if you keep them illegal. If they were more legitimatized or regulated at least we could keep better track of them and make some money off of the people that allready use them. Sad but true.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:35 PM
NSX

866 posts, read 1,786,555 times
I'm in agreement with DBradley. It makes no sense for marijuana to be illegal, when alcohol is legal. Alcohol is much worse for the human body and has destroyed many more lives.

It's just based on money. The alcohol and tobacco industry in this country are extremely profitable and has an incredible amount of lobbying power. What is sick is how government agencies are cracking down on elderly pain and glaucoma patients for using medical marijuana, when people are driving drunk and causing fatal accidents on a nightly basis.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:59 AM

3,566 posts, read 4,490,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
Great attitude to have there bud. You complain and say that rehab centers don't work when you place them right next to the place(s) that is infested with drugs and trafficking and when someone offers an alternative... no way Jose! We don't want them addicts who are trying to recover round us! Let's stick em right back into there ghettos and hoods where it's a 95% chance they'll use again. Good ol American way. Gotta love it.

If anything, history tells us that the exact opposite happens. Alcohol prohibition anyone? The fall of Al Capone anyone? Methinks you need to revisit history.

Edited for: You need to pay attention to how these play out. And formulate more than something like: don't build rehabs in crack town. You need to focus on why this occurs and how you plan to go about changing NIMBY.

The exact opposite happens because the money involved dries up. When you have two people trying to sell a product and one is selling it cheaper than the other, who do you think the buyer is going to go to? It's BECAUSE it's all about the money that legalization will work. Because it's about the money, when legalization occurs, the product is cheaper for the buyer. The buyer won't keep going to the local dealer when they can get it at an RX store for pennies on the dollar. Economics my friend, economics!

Never said that would happen. You have to try to be pragmatic and put effort into some things to make them work. It's not going to happen overnight my friend.

Why yes, yes I am. I'm not able to get a definite statistic atm for the number of those addicted to illegal drugs (minus marijuana) but from googling (I've spent nearly an hour searching and have come up with nothing. Everyone wants to talk about how many people have tried but not about how many are addicted!) and putting numbers together I'm guesstimating that approximately 2 million people are addicted to illegal drugs. If we were to build facilities (NOT in ghettos), hire a full staff who works around the clock, and house them until they are over they've recovered, we'd STILL be paying LESS than we would for the 'war on drugs' (which is approximately 19 billion dollars). That's not even accounting for the wasted money we spend on police (narcotics detectives, who could be looking for the 50% of murderers who go free). Economically speaking, what is the better choice? Legal, or illegal? You decide.
No, I just posted a history of deinstitutionalization. As you can see they faced NIMBY, too. That would be the history you need to check into. So, the last time someone got a good little game of hot potato cash going the people that needed the help didn't get it and still aren't getting it. So maybe its time that you revisit the financial repercussions before coming out with some great humdinger of an idea that you think nobody else has ever come out with. Some phenominal way that you seem to believe will be a cash saver. Your going to continue to pay there will just be a lot more sharks feeding off it. Again, dressed real nice and making pretty speeches and patting themselves on the back without getting anything done.

Further, the cash will not dry up with legalized drugs. Screw Al Capone and look into history other than that. Because I'm not seeing a real solid way for you to deal with it.

Last edited by Pandamonium; 05-13-2009 at 11:08 AM..

Old 05-13-2009, 11:14 AM

656 posts, read 951,494 times
Quote:
No, I just posted a history of deinstitutionalization. As you can see they faced NIMBY, too. That would be the history you need to check into. So, the last time someone got a good little game of hot potato cash going the people that needed the help didn't get it and still aren't getting it. So maybe its time that you revisit the financial repercussions before coming out with some great humdinger of an idea that you think nobody else has ever come out with. Some phenominal way that you seem to believe will be a cash saver. Your going to continue to pay there will just be a lot more sharks feeding off it. Again, dressed real nice and making pretty speeches and patting themselves on the back without getting anything done.
I know this is going to be hard to cope with, but those guys and gals dressed real nice who make those pretty speeches and pat themselves on the back are the ones that get things done in this country. If you want anything done, you'll have to suck up to them to get ANYTHING done; that's the great system of bureaucracy we currently have. I know my solutions on the matter have been proposed before, but the same can be said of anything. Essentially any solution we have to a problem is a regurgitation of things we've heard and latched onto since we were young. Your point other than to try to discount my argument?

Quote:
Further, the cash will not dry up with legalized drugs. Screw Al Capone and look into history other than that. Because I'm not seeing a real solid way for you to deal with it.
I lol'd at this part of your post (the screw Al Capone thing really got to me ). I know the cash will not completely dry up with the legalization of drugs, but the market becomes basically non-existent. You know there's a black market for cigarettes? You don't ever hear about it though because it's localised and only small time dealers pedal illegal cigarettes (I don't know though, with the recent rise of taxes on cigs, maybe the black market for them might pick up!). But I must ask, what is you solution for dealing with the problem? I'd really like to hear your opinion on it. Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or