U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-13-2009, 12:52 PM
 
3,566 posts, read 4,492,645 times
Reputation: 1846

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
I know this is going to be hard to cope with, but those guys and gals dressed real nice who make those pretty speeches and pat themselves on the back are the ones that get things done in this country. If you want anything done, you'll have to suck up to them to get ANYTHING done; that's the great system of bureaucracy we currently have. I know my solutions on the matter have been proposed before, but the same can be said of anything. Essentially any solution we have to a problem is a regurgitation of things we've heard and latched onto since we were young. Your point other than to try to discount my argument?



I lol'd at this part of your post (the screw Al Capone thing really got to me ). I know the cash will not completely dry up with the legalization of drugs, but the market becomes basically non-existent. You know there's a black market for cigarettes? You don't ever hear about it though because it's localised and only small time dealers pedal illegal cigarettes (I don't know though, with the recent rise of taxes on cigs, maybe the black market for them might pick up!). But I must ask, what is you solution for dealing with the problem? I'd really like to hear your opinion on it. Thanks in advance.
Yes, and did you know there was a black market for movies? They call that piracy. There is a black market for tennis shoes and washers and dryers that fall of trucks? Is there money to be made, then yep. How a bout guns? And for the record, Al Capone was not all that and a bag of chips in the game. He was careless and not that intelligent. When you look at the time era and those who were playing the game, he ain't it.

They aren't getting things done, and that is my problem. Week after week, interviews are done to see if some "qualify" for their "program". Some are accepted, knowing in advance the potential for acting out. That individual acts out and they are sent back to the institution as failed. The placement still gets its money. Are we getting anything done here? No. But the speeches come out about how priceless the organization is.
Stop funding crap. You don't win brownie points by picking and choosing only those that are "good". If they were all "good" there wouldn't be a problem.

1. NIMBY. You either want to waste your time trying to explain to a lot of people who just spent 250,000 and upwards on a house of why it is a good idea to build whatever type of facility in their neighborhood or business area or you want to get it done. This is the historical pattern. Don't waste time and money reinventing the wheel.


2. As I stated in the other thread, get your mentally ill and intellectually challanged out of prisons and off the streets back into institutionalized care and stop funding the micky mouse organizations that aren't getting it done but stand around taking cash, making speeches, and patting themselves on the back.

3. Now that you have managed to take care of one of the largest groups, you can take a look at what's left. What type of drug offenders are there and what kinds of issues are they grappling with? Because rehabs have a tendency to go in and work with one issue and are not prepared to deal with anything else. The court ordered class did not work and nobody knows why? -say the people that make pretty speeches and pat themselves on the back that created the classes and get the money. Are we getting anything done here? No.

So, this means that if you are dealing with an individual who was molested as a child and then raped as an adult, then you get in there and deal with those issues as well or you haven't done anything at all but point out how wrong it is to use drugs, collect cash and pat yourself on the back. And when they go back to using, you can look all perplexed. Treat the whole person and do not think for one minute that if they get God, its all they need.


Again, don't worry about NIMBY, skip it. Drop the whole, two struggling addicts cannot rely on each other or build a support group from it as well. Female offenders develop a support system in prison and are not allowed to rely on that support system after they leave. The same attitude is presented in rehabs, domestic violence shelters and etc. Any place that people share personal crap, bonds will be made. Respect it, because if you don't then these people have no relationships whatsoever outside of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-13-2009, 01:23 PM
 
3,566 posts, read 4,492,645 times
Reputation: 1846
I thought I might add, before I run out of the door, that if you have to go out and purchase a corn field or x amount of acres then do it. If there is a need for transportation into a larger area to acquire a job, then you will have that in place with money left over from not giving it to a bunch of pat themselves on the back organizations. I'm just tired of paying here and paying here and paying here to a bunch of micky mouse organizations. Do it and do it well or leave it alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2009, 10:12 PM
 
3,701 posts, read 3,029,556 times
Reputation: 10007
" one of the duties of government is to "promote the general welfare" of the citizens...this clearly falls along those lines." It is this kind of thinking that has ruled the courts and filled the prisons. If we were to legalize all drugs we could then begin to 'treat" the addicted populace and reserve the justice system for the express purpose of ridding society of the truly offensive muderous types we seem to be unable to cope with at present. One of the realities of a diminished economy is the fact that we'll have to re-think the drug laws, can we afford the punitive cost of such a mis-managed set of laws? Drug addiction is a disease, we need to decriminalize the sick, and take the money out of the hands of street gangs, before we have allowed them to grow beyond our ability to contain them. We have seen this war on drugs failing for years and we still cling to our victorian notions of punishment as a solution to the presence of millions of future addicts we are grooming in the shadows of a civility lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2009, 01:28 PM
 
197 posts, read 328,096 times
Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Most people who enjoy pot smoking want it to be legal. Of course they wouldn't see any problems with it. Of course they wouldn't see the effects of it on society (lower mental capabilities, impaired behavior while driving, brain deterioration, etc.). Anybody on crack would think the same way. Anybody on alcohol thinks that way. Anything to justify their behavior.

Legalizing pot would only serve to pat those on the head who smoke it, telling them it's ok. It's not ok.
Complete BS, it is OK, why, because if you believe in God, he created it. Many of the "drugs" (ie pharmaceutical drugs) are copied from nature, but very poorly, in fact, meth is man made, and heroin was once prescription. Cannabis does ZERO harm to your brain, NONE, it has been proven, in fact, it has also been proven to fight cancer, as well as being found to have anti-bacterial properties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Sex is an intoxicant. It releases endorphins.
Exercise does the same thing.
Cigarettes are an intoxicant that are also highly addictive.
Caffiene is an intoxicant.
Many over-the-counter medications are intoxicants.

Give me a break. How can someone who smoked a little weed be somehow more dangerous than someone who has drunk alcohol?
yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
The consequences of legalizing drugs would be horrendous. What is the most commonly used drug? ALCOHOL. Why? Because it's LEGAL! And think of the endless consequences alcohol has on society....not only on the person using it.

If heroin, methampetamine, cocaine, LSD, etc. were legalized, they would be far more commonly used. The numbers who use alcohol compared to the numbers who use these substances prove it. The effects of these drugs are worse than the effects of alcohol and the negative consequences for society will be worse as well..
um..... BS! take Amsterdam for example, Cannabis legalized, and guess what happened, ALL HARD DRUG USED PLUMMETED. Something else your not taking into account, people as a whole have NO idea what drugs do, its not taught in school we are simply told not to do it. If our teachers paraded around emaciated bodies from hard drugs, i don't think people would use them AS THEY F'N KNOW WHAT THEY DO. Lasty, all we know about cannabis use is a lie, propaganda and nothing more because pharmaceutical companies don't want people to be able to grow their own medicine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
While illegal, alcohol was STILL the most commonly used drug...because it's part of the culture of every society other than Puritans and Muslims. Japan, China, All of Europe, South America and Mexico all make their own kinds of alcohol.

Who on Earth would just shoot up heroin tomorrow simply because it was legalized? Hard drugs don't exactly appeal to most people, and if legalized, they would be better informed of the danger of them as well. Alcohol is popular because it's highly advertised, and associated with everything from weddings, to rites of passage to watching football. Not too many fathers would say "come on son, you're a man now, let's shoot up some heroin."


Just because it's illegal doesn't mean it SHOULD be. If I do no harm to anyone, how can that possibly be a crime?



WHAT CHANGES!?!? You've never once said what you would do to improve the current situation. What could you possibly do? They've been illegal for 70+ years and the drug gangs are richer, more dangerous and more powerful than ever. Seriously, what would you suggest?
YES! the drug prohibition enables crime and gangs everywhere. Most people don't understand that the majority of profits that gangs make is off marijuana. When you make something illegal you inflates its price dramatically, most things are priced per ton, not pound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
The ones I know who would rob you for your pot would also steal your iPod if you turned your back. They are dishonest and immoral people...not just people who smoke something just to feel better or to self-medicate.
Exactly, those who are lazy and smoke, are still lazy. Those who are corrupt and use, are still corrupt. Who is most likely to use drugs? people who have nothing to loose/don't care about much, or those who know what they are getting into when trying a drug. The latter aren't the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Man Get's Prison Term in Robbery
MORNING UPDATE -- Man gets prison term in robbery :: Blotter :: PostStar.com (http://www.poststar.com/articles/2009/05/07/news/blotter/doc4a02b43373b49606716591.txt - broken link)
Man Call's Police, Reports Someone Stole his Marijuana
Man calls police, reports someone stole marijuana | Deseret News (Salt Lake City) | Find Articles at BNET
Prosecutor: Orange County Murder Suspect Stole Gun, Pot
Prosecutor: Orange County Murder Suspect Stole Gun, Pot :: WRAL.com
Marijuana, Cash Reported Stolen
-- Marijuana, cash reported stolen -- Union-Tribune Newsblog
911, someone stole my pot
911 what's your emergency? Dude, they stole my stash of weed - On Deadline - USATODAY.com
Attempted Robbery at Marijuana Medical Clinic
Armed Marijuana Clinic Employee Gets Pot Back | NBC Los Angeles
Man Convicted of Capital Murder for Board Beating
Man convicted of capital murder for board beating - WXVT-TV Delta News - More Local News and Weather WXVT.com |
Boy Killed in '85 over Marijuana
Police: Boy Killed in '85 over Marijuana|abc27 News (http://www.whtm.com/news/stories/0808/546427.html - broken link)
Prosecutor-Suspect killed for $20
Prosecutor: Suspect Killed Man For $20 Of Marijuana - Cincinnati breaking news, weather radar, traffic from 9News | Channel 9 WCPO.com
Miracle Mile: Security Guard killed at Medical Marijuana Clinic
Miracle Mile: Security guard, 25, killed at medical marijuana clinic | The Homicide Report | Los Angeles Times
17 year old Killed over $5 of marijuana
Mother: My son was killed over $5 worth of marijuana - Utica, NY - The Observer-Dispatch (http://www.wickedlocal.com/utica/homepage/x1658742426/Man-dies-after-Utrica-shooting - broken link)
Dispute over Marijuana
Dispute over marijuana led to deadly Mansfield shooting - The Sun Chronicle Online - News


Now, if you want information on drive-by-shootings that occur while high, you will actually have to read books.

Further, your turf wars will not stop with the legalization of marijuana. It will continue because of heroin, which does not need a needle anymore, and cocaine. Those two items rake in a hell-uv-a-lot more money.
Wow, thats some real investigative work there, so what you have found is that people of all kinds like Cannabis, and that gangs TEND TO SELL A LOT OF THE STUFF, AND THE PRICE IS INFLATED BECAUSE ITS ILLEGAL, SO LOTS OF MONEY CAN BE MADE OFF IT. Seriously, what you have posted does nothing for your case. On a side note, if you know your history, it was outlawed because it "made people frenzied beasts", then in WWII they realized it was outlawed for the wrong reasons, and then the propaganda was changed, saying smoking makes you communist and is a communist tool because it makes you a passafist. ....


To end, legalization would bring billions of dollars into the economy, end crime and the drug war, end drug smuggling, heal people, and overall be better for everyone. Decriminalization would not be a good thing, would only make the problem worse. All the information we know is all propaganda, everything is false. Look up Seth Group California to see their tests with THC and brain cancer. Also, i recommend everyone watch The Union: and the business behind getting high. It can be found on google video under the union.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2009, 10:25 AM
 
3,566 posts, read 4,492,645 times
Reputation: 1846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swansen View Post
Wow, thats some real investigative work there, so what you have found is that people of all kinds like Cannabis,
snipped due to a regurgitation of bs.

That would have been the point. I'm so glad you figured that out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2009, 09:33 AM
 
3,088 posts, read 7,637,166 times
Reputation: 2024
LEAP - Law Enforcement Against Prohibition - Cops Say Legalize Drugs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2009, 09:49 AM
 
Location: NW Nevada
13,340 posts, read 10,911,844 times
Reputation: 12290
I'm thinking that CD would be a better place if pot were legalized. Seriously, though, alcohol has done FAR more damage ( and is doing more as we speak than pot ever has or will. The only thing in danger from a person who has smoked some weed is the leftovers in the fridge. If pot were legal, I would never even look at the beer or booze section in the store. No hangovers, sleep like a baby and wake up feeling like a million bucks, watch cool movies in total focus and find serious social commentary in old Tom and Jerry cartoons, the list goes on forever. Keeping weed illegal makes as much sense as a screen door in a submarine. Saying that it leads to harder drugs is a pathetic argument as well. Most users started with booze, not pot. Given my druthers, I would pick up a pack of Indica over a twelver of Coors any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2009, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Tri-Cities, TN
149 posts, read 351,096 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I'm thinking that CD would be a better place if pot were legalized. Seriously, though, alcohol has done FAR more damage ( and is doing more as we speak than pot ever has or will. The only thing in danger from a person who has smoked some weed is the leftovers in the fridge. If pot were legal, I would never even look at the beer or booze section in the store. No hangovers, sleep like a baby and wake up feeling like a million bucks, watch cool movies in total focus and find serious social commentary in old Tom and Jerry cartoons, the list goes on forever. Keeping weed illegal makes as much sense as a screen door in a submarine. Saying that it leads to harder drugs is a pathetic argument as well. Most users started with booze, not pot. Given my druthers, I would pick up a pack of Indica over a twelver of Coors any day.
It won't let me rep you as much as I want to so I had to leave you a comment to let you know how right you are!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2009, 04:51 PM
 
485 posts, read 903,663 times
Reputation: 100
Default thats a start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
If marijuana was decriminalized or legalized would it prevent the other drug users (crack/powder cocaine, meth, heroin and PCP) from getting out within days of their arrest and would it help lower the crime rate cause the majority of the other drug users are serving a decent amount of time in jail?

I don't think any pot smoker would contribute to crime just to support their habits like the other drug users and I don't find pot to be nearly as addicting as alcohol or any other kind of drug
Well you just made the first step!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2009, 03:58 PM
 
103 posts, read 264,092 times
Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
If marijuana was decriminalized or legalized would it prevent the other drug users (crack/powder cocaine, meth, heroin and PCP) from getting out within days of their arrest and would it help lower the crime rate cause the majority of the other drug users are serving a decent amount of time in jail?

I don't think any pot smoker would contribute to crime just to support their habits like the other drug users and I don't find pot to be nearly as addicting as alcohol or any other kind of drug
I think it will prevent other drug usage because more people smoke pot than the other drugs and coupled with who going to want to sell the other drugs and go to jail when they can sell the pot which has more users anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top