Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 06:58 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,095,198 times

Advertisements

If marijuana was decriminalized or legalized would it prevent the other drug users (crack/powder cocaine, meth, heroin and PCP) from getting out within days of their arrest and would it help lower the crime rate cause the majority of the other drug users are serving a decent amount of time in jail?

I don't think any pot smoker would contribute to crime just to support their habits like the other drug users and I don't find pot to be nearly as addicting as alcohol or any other kind of drug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 07:58 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
just legallize it and stop the foolish war on weed.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
just legallize it and stop the foolish war on weed.
I don't think people should be in jail for marijuana posession, most of the pot smokers are decent people who have jobs, families and they don't contribute to crime to support their habits.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:33 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Mopac1980 - many posters on here support legalization of ALL drugs, not just pot.

Anyhow, I suppose it would. I'd like to see decriminalization, but not legalization, of weed. I'd also like to see the harder drug users being forced into treatment as a part of probation, instead of being incarcerated. It would be cheaper and far more likely to be effective.

To the posters who say "it's my body, I can put crack or meth in it if I want"....no you can't. The laws against drugs have been ruled constitutional. Furthermore, one of the duties of government is to "promote the general welfare" of the citizens...this clearly falls along those lines.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:32 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
I can't stand most pot smokers. It's a personal thing, but I've had issues with them. Having said that, I think that pot should be decriminalized and possibly legalized.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Mopac1980 - many posters on here support legalization of ALL drugs, not just pot.

Anyhow, I suppose it would. I'd like to see decriminalization, but not legalization, of weed. I'd also like to see the harder drug users being forced into treatment as a part of probation, instead of being incarcerated. It would be cheaper and far more likely to be effective.

To the posters who say "it's my body, I can put crack or meth in it if I want"....no you can't. The laws against drugs have been ruled constitutional. Furthermore, one of the duties of government is to "promote the general welfare" of the citizens...this clearly falls along those lines.
I would also like to see the other drug users get help and rehabilitation so they can live their lives free from them drugs, sometimes I feel that rehabilitation and getting help would be the better way of handling the drug addicts than putting them in jail.

I sometimes get fed up with many of the drug addicts getting released from jail within days of their arrest and them committing more crimes to support their habits, I once had a neighbor who was a meth addict and within days of her arrest she was released from jail and failed to appear in court and got off easily when she'd gotten arrested again, she has stolen from people before and even tried breaking into our residence.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:28 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
Whether or not a pot-head would steal etc to fund his addiction completely depends on the person. The only thing that perhaps makes pot-heads less likely to commit crimes to fund their addiction vs other drug users is that pot is less addictive than most other drugs (Pot is mostly psychologically addictive).

Old 04-28-2009, 12:13 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,753,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post

The general welfare clause is not a catch-all allowing the government to pass any laws they deem 'for the general welfare.' At best, you can claim that drugs fall under community standards laws, and if so, should be at most state laws, if not left to the individual counties and townships. The general welfare clause is second only to the (interstate)commerce clause in terms of being perverted to allow the federal government to overstep their bounds.

The United States was settled on the principles of individualism, not moral busy-bodies thinking they know what's best for everybody else. If people want to hurt themselves by using hard drugs, that's their problem. It's not the realm of government to be their moral backstop or parental figure. At some point either you figure out how to be a successful adult or you don't, and it's unfair (and indeed inhuman) to limit the freedoms of the responsible because the irresponsible can't control themselves.

Now, if we are going to let hard drugs remain criminal, I too would support mandatory treatment programs instead of hard time. That would do a lot more good than just locking up repeat offenders.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:58 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
The general welfare clause is not a catch-all allowing the government to pass any laws they deem 'for the general welfare.' At best, you can claim that drugs fall under community standards laws, and if so, should be at most state laws, if not left to the individual counties and townships. The general welfare clause is second only to the (interstate)commerce clause in terms of being perverted to allow the federal government to overstep their bounds.

The United States was settled on the principles of individualism, not moral busy-bodies thinking they know what's best for everybody else. If people want to hurt themselves by using hard drugs, that's their problem. It's not the realm of government to be their moral backstop or parental figure. At some point either you figure out how to be a successful adult or you don't, and it's unfair (and indeed inhuman) to limit the freedoms of the responsible because the irresponsible can't control themselves.

Now, if we are going to let hard drugs remain criminal, I too would support mandatory treatment programs instead of hard time. That would do a lot more good than just locking up repeat offenders.
They should 100% be state laws and the feds need to butt out completely. I should have mentioned that. I was merely pointing out that the framers of the Constitution agreed that the government has a right/obligation to promote the welfare of its citizens. At the same time, I'm a huge supporter of states' rights and find the federal drug laws way out of line.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:27 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,015 times
In my opinion, any "crime" that does not negatively affect another person, isn't a crime at all. All drugs should be legalized, who the **** is the government to tell someone what they can put in their body? It would be like making masturbation illegal or something. It has no negative affects on the public, but people see it as taboo so they want it to go away. Its ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates