Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 07:43 AM

943 posts, read 3,159,211 times

Advertisements

A man at work was quite outspoken when he said that he thinks the Swine Flu is a good thing if it kills off some of the world's population. He said the world is hugely overpopulated and it needs a war or huge epidemic to "thin the herd" a bit. He says that the only way that the earth is going to survive in the future is a mass die off of people and maybe the swine flu may be the ticket.

I asked him if he would grieve if his family and friends died from a huge mass epidemic of the flu. He said sure but that would be fate and God's will.

I think he is right and that eventually the world is going to see something really big that kills many people and it is God's way of thinning the herd. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 07:46 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
No, we'd be worse off. Swine flu would kill mostly poor people, who are generally happy and do all the hard work. So we'd still have all the rich.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:47 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
A man at work was quite outspoken when he said that he thinks the Swine Flu is a good thing if it kills off some of the world's population. He said the world is hugely overpopulated and it needs a war or huge epidemic to "thin the herd" a bit. He says that the only way that the earth is going to survive in the future is a mass die off of people and maybe the swine flu may be the ticket.

I asked him if he would grieve if his family and friends died from a huge mass epidemic of the flu. He said sure but that would be fate and God's will.

I think he is right and that eventually the world is going to see something really big that kills many people and it is God's way of thinning the herd. What do you think?
I'd bet that your loud-mouthed friend is not trying to catch the Swine Flue himself. And he probably has 5 kids of his own.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:54 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times
Make him contribute to the cause and just head on over to the border right there or seek out the other 20. He can be number 21.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:56 AM

So far the responses have been emotional and not logical. Eventually the world's population will reach a point where we can not handle it anymore and huge problems will occur. I suspect that time is near and maybe the flu or something else is in fact the ticket to thin out the herd.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:00 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times
You went illogical when you said fate and God's will. I guarantee you someone is going to say at some point that this is God's punishment.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:02 AM

857 posts, read 1,422,033 times
Quote:

hey a religious person saying something ludicrous, what are the odds???

Old 04-27-2009, 08:06 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:

The secret to population control is not killing off people, it is reducing the number of births. The people who swine flu would kill have already consumed enormous amounts of natural resources. Their damage has already been done. People who might die from it might reduce the consumption rate by 10 or 20 years, however, if we reduce the rate of births then the consumption rate will be reduced by 70 or 80 years.

Also, in the event of a pandemic, most likely it would disproportionately affect poorer nations who can not provide adequate health care to its people. Unlike the middle ages during the black plague or even the yellow fever epidemics that occurred periodically in this country in the 1700 and 1800s modern medicine has discovered ways to mitigate the death count. As usual, the privileged people would survive. You may view this as a good thing, but I don't know if that is necessarily the case.

It would be infinitely better to educate people to use effective birth control methods than wishing mass death upon them. Besides, if you could not afford the necessary treatment, then you might fall victim yourself. I hardly think that anyone would say that their own death, to reduce the population of the world, would be a good thing.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-27-2009, 08:23 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I'd bet that your loud-mouthed friend is not trying to catch the Swine Flue himself. And he probably has 5 kids of his own.
First of all, your loud-mouthed friend's premise is absolutely correct. This simple fact of population dynamics has been well-known for centuries. If life went on year after year without any significant events to compensate for continuous increase, the most simple arithmetic would prophecy a tragic end.

What makes your friend a "loud mouth" is that he is factually correct but politically incorrect. That is the only criteria we use nowadays. Which itself is why our quick doom is so assured.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:39 AM

Every time the birth rate falls there will be tons of people who are concerned that there is not a good match between older and younger people and having more babies will be encouraged. The cycle never ends and the population keeps going up. They say our economy needs a rapidly increasing population to continue to grow. Maybe the only solution is a good war or the swine flu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates