U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 10:50 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,653,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
pharmacists, physicians, nurses, military men; the list goes on and on. All are people placed in positions of trust which lends them increased power over others..
If I suspect that my pharmacist is up to no good, I can turn around and walk away. He can't draw his government-issued piece and yell "Freeze", call in backup on a government-owned radio, taze me, and handcuff me, and lock me in a cell.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:28 AM

257 posts, read 537,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Hmm. A pharmacist is armed with deadly poisons and is in control of much of the evidence. Bus drivers operate things that can routinely be used as awesome tools of death and destruction (and municipal bus drivers also enjoy the tacit assumption that they are always right).
The difference between a bus driver and a cop is that the bus driver can't just run someone over and make up a story. Not all cops are bad, but the rules for the profession are bad. Good cops are often targetted by the political establishment for sticking their necks out and doing what's right. Bad cops get to hide behind their uniform, while corrupt police chiefs and administrators get to hide behind men and women who put their lives on the line to write those tickets.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:46 AM

339 posts, read 627,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
I've never heard of a place where cops make as much as lawyers.
Sfgov.org | San Francisco Police Department: Duties, Salary and Benefits (http://www.sfgov.org/site/police_index.asp?id=27855 - broken link)

Seattle Police > Jobs > Become an Officer

PayScale - Lawyer Starting Salaries, Average Salary for a Lawyer

Here are a couple larger west coast agencies (I live in the west) compared to national attorney averages (updated only a few days ago/maybe not exactly apples to apples, but...). Keep in mind that when you compare the cops salaries, compare the 5 year ranges to the attorneys 5 year ranges but add about 10-15 percent for educational incentives (becoming the norm), shift differential, longevity, etc. for the cops. This doesn't include any specialty pay (SWAT, K-9, etc.), benefits, overtime (always comes with court, etc.), available off-duty jobs, etc. These scales are base-pay only, but you can probably add about 10-20k a year on to them. I'm also sure that there are a lot of private/corporate attorneys that are making quite a bit more, but this appears to be a pretty recent "average" pay chart. Hey...you won't get rich, but it's not like the pay in some parts of the country.

There ya go. If I'm looking at something wrong, I'm sure I'll hear it. All I'm saying is that when you have more to lose...not such a good idea to do stupid stuff.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:24 AM

604 posts, read 1,051,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTD View Post
Sfgov.org | San Francisco Police Department: Duties, Salary and Benefits (http://www.sfgov.org/site/police_index.asp?id=27855 - broken link)

Seattle Police > Jobs > Become an Officer

PayScale - Lawyer Starting Salaries, Average Salary for a Lawyer

Here are a couple larger west coast agencies (I live in the west) compared to national attorney averages (updated only a few days ago/maybe not exactly apples to apples, but...). Keep in mind that when you compare the cops salaries, compare the 5 year ranges to the attorneys 5 year ranges but add about 10-15 percent for educational incentives (becoming the norm), shift differential, longevity, etc. for the cops. This doesn't include any specialty pay (SWAT, K-9, etc.), benefits, overtime (always comes with court, etc.), available off-duty jobs, etc. These scales are base-pay only, but you can probably add about 10-20k a year on to them. I'm also sure that there are a lot of private/corporate attorneys that are making quite a bit more, but this appears to be a pretty recent "average" pay chart. Hey...you won't get rich, but it's not like the pay in some parts of the country.

There ya go. If I'm looking at something wrong, I'm sure I'll hear it. All I'm saying is that when you have more to lose...not such a good idea to do stupid stuff.
So here you go. From the Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupation Profile - America's Career InfoNet

The national mean wage for cops is $23 hour. In CA, it's $34 hour.
The national mean wage for attorneys is $51 an hour. In CA, it's $61 hour.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:31 AM

114,043 posts, read 52,430,709 times
No!!!! Absolutely not!!!

Old 05-02-2009, 04:35 AM

604 posts, read 1,051,585 times
They lie to you about your rights. They lie to you about the law.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:20 AM

16,886 posts, read 12,554,063 times
I would trust the police more if they followed the Ultimate law of the land called our Constitution, over the edicts of the politicians.

also they should get rid of their blue wall they always seem to be crowding around.

if they cannot do that, then they should get out of the police field.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:50 AM

2,539 posts, read 3,276,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Run with it, folks.

Absolutely not!

Old 05-02-2009, 08:07 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,653,762 times
Quote:
So here you go. From the Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupation Profile - America's Career InfoNet

I think you meant "median", as the link indicated.. "Mean" means something else.

Median mans that half the workers are are above that figure, and half below. But cops are salaried, and there is very little deviation around the mean. Very few cops make 10K or 100K, but there are a lot of lawyers who do. So it is true that there are some starving lawyers, but no starving cops. It is also true that there are some millionaire lawyers, but no millionaire cops.

Theh poorest lawyers are the lawyers who represent the poorest clients, and it's easy to guess who those are. If there's a cop and a lawyer in the same courtroom, there is a pretty good chance that the cop makes more than the lawyer. At least, on that particular case, where the lawywer is likely court-appointed or even pro-bono, and the cop is getting time-and-a-half overtime for testifying on his day off.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-02-2009 at 08:16 AM..

Old 05-02-2009, 11:55 AM

339 posts, read 627,790 times
Quote:

Look. I'm not saying "every" cop, and I'm not trying to get into a debate about salary. My point way back when this little side bar started was that cops in certain areas make as much as attorneys, engineers, etc. in other areas. It was kind of "ya get what ya pay for". If places in certain areas are going to pay a cop 30-40k a year (as many do) they may not get many high quality people doing it for that much. In the west, you can do pretty well, so quality people who would normally do "something else" might go into law enforcement instead. That's all. The statistic I provided is actual attorneys reporting. And again...when police departments post "salaries", this does not include all the other "stuff" (shift differential, longevity, educational incentive, etc.).

Last edited by JDTD; 05-02-2009 at 12:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates