U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2009, 04:14 PM

339 posts, read 627,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Cops on traffic patrol who issue tickets get paid overtime if the ticket is contested in court, because the officer is required to appear. Every cop who issues a ticket emphasizes to the driver his right to contest the ticket in traffic court---hoping that he will. Even if they're not on OT, they don't have to be out on the beat during that couple of hours, and might even be excused pro-rata from their quota.

So you are assuming that people are so stupid that a cop can talk them into going to court even if they weren't planning on it? And...It is the persons right to contest it. That's a fact. There are also other options that are explained. Whether the cop talks louder during the "you can take it to court and have me there too" part...I don't know.

"I stopped you because you were speeding. My radar gun may or may not be out of calibration. Who knows? You should probably take this to court and make sure you check the box where I have to go to. I'd ask me if my radar is in calibration if I were you." Sweet...I think he bought it. Now I can make my boat payment.

C'Mon! That's another conspiracy theory. You know what I have noticed here. Most people hate cops because of speeding tickets. No kidding. That's what they base their like or dislike/trust or distrust on. At least that's what it seems.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:14 PM

370 posts, read 884,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTD View Post
That's why they are letting people out early due to the economy?
No, they let certain people out early because then that makes room to bring more in and they can process more through the whole system. Once people are in SOME of them are not money makers depending upon their conviction and if they can or cannot do work release or have expensive medical problems. Sometimes it does make sense to let them go early if it is not profitable to the system.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:28 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTD View Post
So you are assuming that people are so stupid that a cop can talk them into going to court even if they weren't planning on it?

. . . . Most people hate cops because of speeding tickets. No kidding. That's what they base their like or dislike/trust or distrust on..
If a cop assumes that just one person is stupid enough to go to traffic court, the cop has just made a couple of hours of overtime while doing no work at all. How long do you have to watch TV commercials to become convinced that people are so stupid, they will buy whatever junk food they are told to..

I "hate cops" (your words) because the number of innocent people I have bailed out of jail is larger than the number of traffic tickets I've received. Two of the people I paid bail for had the charges dropped, and the third plea bargained a misdemeanor with a $500 fine after spending nine days in jail. Her fine was reduced by $5 for each day in jail. I want to see that cop spend nine days in jail, and then be handed $45 bucks to compensate him for his minor inconvenience. It didn't seem to bother him any if somebody else had to do that.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-03-2009 at 04:42 PM..

Old 05-03-2009, 04:30 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,357,433 times
Keep in mind that if the Legislatures did not pass the laws in the first place, law enforcement would not have anything to "enforce"

The laws many here complain about cops enforcing are because your legislative bodies passed the laws and require such enforcement.

Don't like the enforcement? Go to the origin of the law and get it revoked or changed.

Seat belt laws are a good example IMO: Some states failure to wear a seat belt is a secondary infraction - you only get cited if stopped for another traffic violation.

In other jurisdictions however, failure to wear a seat belt is a primary stop -

Old 05-03-2009, 04:37 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Quote:
If a cop assumes that just one person is stupid enough to go to traffic court, the cop has just made a couple of hours of overtime. How long do you have to watch TV commercials to become convinced that people are so stupid, they will do whatever they are told to do.

I "hate cops" (your words) because the number of innocent people I have bailed out of jail is larger than the number of traffic tickets I've received.
Not trying to sound 'cavalier' for a moment....and God forbid we ever REALLY live in a 'Police State'.....and I hope nobody on this forum ever gets hassled unneccessarily...Yet I'm still forced to wonder, how one person has so MANY friends or associates who are innocent....yet still need to be 'bailed out of jail'. Honestly, I thought I'd been around a bit....but this RARELY happens to me. Innocent people actually get hauled downtown, and locked up, and have to be bailed out ?....and this happens HOW often, among one man's close friends?

Either you live a particularly chaotic life....or you've gotten VERY few traffic tickets...or you have a group of friends with VERY poor judgement, or VERY bad luck.....or maybe I'm just missing something here.

And if these cops are THAT out-of-control, why don't they just give YOU a few more traffic tickets, instead of going to the hassle locking up your innocent friends? Wouldn't that be a lot easier source of revenue?

Not trying to sound disrespectful....only curious.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Have you ever heard of due process? "OK then, You can leave now, until we find some evidence upon which to base your arrest and formal charges.

Or would you prefer "OK, I'm done with you. Go to the next room, where there is a man waiting with a pair of pliers. Go in there and lay your hands flat on the table, please".
There's the Jturr88 I know! We were doing fine. You were making good points without any outrageous comments. You were making sense, etc., but then you go and bust the pliers comment. Do you realize that you even set back the people who agree with you when you start going down some of the roads you do? I think that I've been being relatively nice here too. We were getting along great. It was nice, but now...it goes wacky all of the sudden.

Seriously though...Look up the difference between an interview and an interrogation, custody and non-custody, 3.5 hearings and some case law regarding confession evidence in general. That may answer your question. There has been decision after decision regarding confession evidence. There have plenty of confessions by guilty people thrown out because of some of those decisions. Others that haven't appeared to have met the requirement for a legal interrogation (minus pliers, blow-torches, etc.).

Old 05-03-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Keep in mind that if the Legislatures did not pass the laws in the first place, law enforcement would not have anything to "enforce"

The laws many here complain about cops enforcing are because your legislative bodies passed the laws and require such enforcement.

Don't like the enforcement? Go to the origin of the law and get it revoked or changed.

Seat belt laws are a good example IMO: Some states failure to wear a seat belt is a secondary infraction - you only get cited if stopped for another traffic violation.

In other jurisdictions however, failure to wear a seat belt is a primary stop -
There you go. A rational person.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:59 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
You sound very disrespectful. The implication is that you do not believe me.

1. My wife's nephew. His ex GF broke into his house and began beating him. He had the self restraint to not hit back, but suffered physical injuries and his property was damaged. The girl called the police, swore a complaint against him, and he was arested. The evidenced clearly showed what happened, and charges against him were dropped.

2. My stepdaughter, who is a Pulitizer-nominated journalist, was filming a demonstration in New York, with proper media credentials. Without warning, the police swept in and arrested everyone on the sidewalk. She was jailed overnight, released on her recognizance (I was prepared to pay the bail, but none was necessary.)

3. A personal friend of my family was driving a car that had been reported "stolen" (late on the payment book) by her estranged husband. She had no way of knowing that. She was charged with possession of stolen property after a routine traffic stop, was shuttled from jail to jail, and it took 9 days to get a bail reduction hearing. Original bail was 30K, reduced to 1,000, and four months later all felony charged dropped on a plea bargain because there was literally no prosecutable case. The cop could have established this fact in 5 minutes, but wanted his moment of glory.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-03-2009 at 05:11 PM..

Old 05-03-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runrgirl View Post
No, they let certain people out early because then that makes room to bring more in and they can process more through the whole system. Once people are in SOME of them are not money makers depending upon their conviction and if they can or cannot do work release or have expensive medical problems. Sometimes it does make sense to let them go early if it is not profitable to the system.
So...the people who argue that drugs should be legalized because all the people in the system for drugs are costing us billions are wrong? You should jump over to that debate and pose your theory. They'll just love it.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
You sound very disrespectful. The implication is that you do not believe me.

1. My wife's nephew. His ex GF broke into his house and began beating him. He had the self restraint to not hit back, but suffered physical injuries and his property was damaged. The girl called the police, swore a complaint against him, and he was arested. The evidenced clearly showed what happened, and charges against him were dropped.

2. My stepdaughter, who is a Pulitizer-nominated journalist, was filming a demonstration in New York, with proper media credentials. Without warning, the police swept in and arrested everyone on the sidewalk. She was jailed overnight, released on her recognizance (I was prepared to pay the bail, but none was necessary.) The cop could have established this fact in 5 minutes, but wanted his moment of glory.

3. A personal friend of my family was driving a car that had been reported "stolen" (late on the payment book) by her estranged husband. She had no way of knowing that. She was charged with possession of stolen property after a routine traffic stop, was shuttled from jail to jail, and it took 9 days to get a bail reduction hearing. Original bail was 30K, reduced to 1,000, and four months later all felony charged dropped on a plea bargain because there was literally no prosecutable case.
I didn't know about 1 and 2, but you can't say I haven't stuck up for you on #3. That's not the cop though. That's a dumb Illinois (I believe) law where it appears that they have civil matters confused with criminal matters. In most areas, cops don't act as repo agents. There's enough "other" stuff to do...like write tickets (j/k).

Last edited by JDTD; 05-03-2009 at 05:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates