U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2009, 11:20 AM

300 posts, read 901,394 times

Advertisements

The way police acts in Compton.... NO WAY.

I hate the police.
Dont trust em. dont talk to them.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:23 AM

25,107 posts, read 34,380,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnishAmerican View Post
The way police acts in Compton.... NO WAY.

I hate the police.
Dont trust em. dont talk to them.
So - your child is missing. He/She has been abducted.

You won't call the cops?

Old 05-07-2009, 11:30 AM

300 posts, read 901,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

You won't call the cops?
Nope. I never call the cops no matter what.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:49 AM

3,277 posts, read 4,495,768 times
Quote:

You won't call the cops?
In Compton?

If your child is abducted there, cops can't do much to help you out. Even if they could, I highly doubt they'd make much of an effort depending on who you are.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:52 AM

3,277 posts, read 4,495,768 times
Quote:
This is directed at all those who have said they distrust all Police:

If your home was broken into; someone was threatening you or your family; your child turned up missing -

Would you call the Police to help?
If your home is broken into, immediate action is necessary. That's where the 2nd comes in. Cops can't help you there.

If someone threatens your family, again the cops can't babysit you. They can issue a restraining order, or in non legal terms "A sheet of stained tissue".

If your child turns up missing- See above. Certain people get more help in these situations than others depending on a variety of variables.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:59 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,613,725 times
Quote:

You won't call the cops?
Yes, of course I would. For a couple of good reasons

1. At the precinct station, there will certainly be some people who will take me seriously enough to do what they can to help. Likely to just be "Come down and fill out a missing persons report", but every little bit helps. Maybe even drop what they're doing an apply themselves immediately to my problem.

2. The police have a monopoly on the infrastructure that would be helpful in gathering information of that kind, and are the only people with the authority to knock some heads to get useful leads

Having a child abducted is an extreme example, which few citizens ever find themselves involved in. I can construct an improbable scenario in which the first person I'd go to is a bartender, but that does not mean I trust them in general or have a great deal of faith that they will "protect and serve" the general public..

Old 05-07-2009, 12:04 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,613,725 times
Quote:

You won't call the cops?
Yes, of course I would. For a couple of good reasons

1. At the precinct station, there will certainly be some people who will take me seriously enough to do what they can to help. Likely to just be "Come down and fill out a missing persons report", but every little bit helps. Maybe even drop what they're doing an apply themselves immediately to my problem.

2. The police have a monopoly on the infrastructure that would be helpful in gathering information of that kind, and are the only people with the authority to knock some heads to get useful leads

Having a child abducted is an extreme example, which few citizens ever find themselves involved in. I can construct an improbable scenario in which the first person I'd go to is a bartender, but that does not mean I trust them in general or have a great deal of faith that they will "protect and serve" the general public..

I have, on a few occasions, been the victim of petty theft or burglary. Based on my experiences, I would now just call the police and say "I'm another of those people who got broken into last night by a person you're never going to catch, and couldn't do anything with if you did catch him because he is probably a juvenile, and I'll certainly never get any of my stuff back, even if you do catch him. Send somebody over to fill out a report I can include with my insurance claim. Have a nice day."

Old 05-08-2009, 05:32 AM

1,985 posts, read 5,867,069 times
Where I live now, yes.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:13 AM

2,539 posts, read 3,274,912 times
[quote=jtur88;8698334] Based on my experiences, I would now just call the police and say "I'm another of those people who got broken into last night by a person you're never going to catch, and couldn't do anything with if you did catch him because he is probably a juvenile, and I'll certainly never get any of my stuff back, even if you do catch him. Send somebody over to fill out a report I can include with my insurance claim. Have a nice day." [quote]

That is perfect, I will probably borrow that if you don't mind!?

Old 05-08-2009, 06:17 AM

5,230 posts, read 7,324,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnishAmerican View Post
Nope. I never call the cops no matter what.
The ONLY reason for a situation such as you describe can be the apathy of the civilians. WE pay the police, if they arent doing their job & we do nothing then we deserve neglect.
I'm always amazed when I read something like this.
Why would you live there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates