U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2009, 09:36 AM

3,566 posts, read 4,490,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
This is directed at all those who have said they distrust all Police:

If your home was broken into; someone was threatening you or your family; your child turned up missing -

Would you call the Police to help?
Child yes, rest no. There is an order that is necessary to accomplish the goal of finding my child.

But, here is the real deal. Have you ever spoken with parents who can't find their children, have no idea where they are, but have heard from someone else that their child has been arrested? Especially, if the kid is generally on a short leash.

Have you listened to an officer curse and scream at a child? What the hell am I supposed to tell them? He/she was just doing their job? They are one of the good guys?

Have you seen a kid that requires insulin and is on a countdown or a kid with an inoperable aneurism that had his head slammed against the wall? The kids are telling them what they need but no one is listening and now its a life and death countdown.

Explain to me Great Day, how I am supposed to look at this? Explain to me where I seem to be failing in that trust? What am I supposed to tell my own child?

Old 05-08-2009, 10:05 AM

25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Have you seen a kid that requires insulin and is on a countdown or a kid with an inoperable aneurism that had his head slammed against the wall? The kids are telling them what they need but no one is listening and now its a life and death countdown.

Explain to me Great Day, how I am supposed to look at this? Explain to me where I seem to be failing in that trust? What am I supposed to tell my own child?
If a child is endangering themselves, or others, the police officers job is to do whatever it takes to stop them. I have seen cases where the kid is screaming profanities at the officers and the officers don't return the "favor". I have seen cases where the officer tasered a kid who was threatening the officers life, rather than do what the officer could have done - use deadly force.

But, I have seen cases where once the threat is minimized / eliminated, and situations such as you mentioned are brought to the officers attention, officers do whatever is necessary to get that child the medical help they need.

Are there bad apples in the barrel? Of course - and we should do whatever we can to get rid of them. But remember this - when an officer leaves home for a shift - they don't know if they will be coming home that day (as happened yesterday in Las Vegas). Have you considered the type of pressure that puts on not only the officer - but their family?

Old 05-08-2009, 10:15 AM

7,475 posts, read 19,565,214 times
All of these people here who don't trust the police and would never call them are a perfect example of how many nuts can be collected on an online site..
Talk is cheap, if you need them, you will call them. If you don't like or don't trust Police, it's most likely because of a prior encounter with police in which you were completely wrong.
With that attiude, you're the loser, not the police....

Old 05-08-2009, 10:22 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
All of these people here who don't trust the police and would never call them are a perfect example of how many nuts can be collected on an online site..
Talk is cheap, if you need them, you will call them. If you don't like or don't trust Police, it's most likely because of a prior encounter with police in which you were completely wrong.
We're more than 200 posts in already, and you still don't get it. Nobody said the police have no useful function, and nobody said they would never trust any police officer under any circumstances. Everyone acknowledged that some or many police officers are decent working stiffs with a job to do that has rules and limitations. And everyone acknowledged that not all of them are decent and honorable..

Talk is cheap, but reading the posts you are generalizing about is even cheaper. After reading all the posts in this thread, most of which are quite moderate and reasonable, reading YOUR post makes one realize how FEW nuts there are on an online site.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I encounter many of them from different stations on a daily basis. Nice try, play again.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
If a child is endangering themselves, or others, the police officers job is to do whatever it takes to stop them. I have seen cases where the kid is screaming profanities at the officers and the officers don't return the "favor". I have seen cases where the officer tasered a kid who was threatening the officers life, rather than do what the officer could have done - use deadly force.

But, I have seen cases where once the threat is minimized / eliminated, and situations such as you mentioned are brought to the officers attention, officers do whatever is necessary to get that child the medical help they need.

Are there bad apples in the barrel? Of course - and we should do whatever we can to get rid of them. But remember this - when an officer leaves home for a shift - they don't know if they will be coming home that day (as happened yesterday in Las Vegas). Have you considered the type of pressure that puts on not only the officer - but their family?
I have already stated, more than once, that its not a 100% all across the board deal. There are a good portion of phenominal officers. Fudge, there are even more that could be phenominal if they were not burned out. I am not coming from a place of it is all good or all bad.

The officer isn't supposed to scream profanities back at a kid, someone in that situation is the adult. Is the kid threatening after being handcuffed? Is the kid talking but has no way of actually doing anything in the presence? Are you tasering the kid to keep shut the mouth or is the kid posing a viable threat?

Some, will obviously, obtain medical help.I could not state that enough.

Its like playing Russian roulette on both sides of the field.

Its not that I don't recognize the fact that an officer may not come home after a shift, in fact, I'd say the odds are your a target long after the fact. 20-30 years down the road even. But that is also true for parole, some CO's, PO's, judges and attorney's.

You can't just weed out the bad ones. Especially, if its about burnout. The longer the pretense is that cops=robots OR that if you bring a problem up then your automatically guilty for something and that all of these issues can be contained or we have to choose between extreme examples on both sides nothing is resolved. (How's that for a run on sentence?)

My point is that there are smaller interactions that foster a level of distrust within any given community.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
We're more than 200 posts in already, and you still don't get it. Nobody said the police have no useful function, and nobody said they would never trust any police officer under any circumstances. Everyone acknowledged that some or many police officers are decent working stiffs with a job to do that has rules and limitations. And everyone acknowledged that not all of them are decent and honorable..

Talk is cheap, but reading the posts you are generalizing about is even cheaper. After reading all the posts in this thread, most of which are quite moderate and reasonable, reading YOUR post makes one realize how FEW nuts there are on an online site.
You don't read well, there have been several post saying exactly that...
I have seen a lot of your posts, you are of of the ones of which I speak when it comes to that jar of, well, you know...

Old 05-08-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
I encounter many of them from different stations on a daily basis. Nice try, play again.
You must be the badest dude that every lived if you encounter many of them from different stations on a daily basis and they are all bad...!
You must also be in the jar with jtur88...
So, nice try, play again

Old 05-08-2009, 04:17 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Quote:
You don't read well, there have been several post saying exactly that.....
Several? Out of 207? I'll bet all several of them were already contradicted by somebody else.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:54 PM

485 posts, read 903,229 times
Default lol

Quote:
This is directed at all those who have said they distrust all Police:

If your home was broken into; someone was threatening you or your family; your child turned up missing -

Would you call the Police to help?
I think you missed the point?Yes we would call the police! But are they all honest? NO..if you go buy a new car where do you go? the new car dealership right! but are they all honest?NO,I see what you are saying.....but i also understand the question!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates