U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2009, 07:09 PM

9,371 posts, read 17,491,906 times

Advertisements

Overall yes, despite having some bad dealings with them. The way I look at it, I would hate to wake up tomorrow morning to learn that all of the police departments in the nation went on strike. Illegal or not, that would be a real doomsday scenario.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:55 AM

3,566 posts, read 4,491,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
You must be the badest dude that every lived if you encounter many of them from different stations on a daily basis and they are all bad...!
You must also be in the jar with jtur88...
So, nice try, play again
I didn't say they are all bad.

I think I hear your theme song playing now, how does it go?
"Trollin', trollin', trollin'......"

Old 05-09-2009, 01:06 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,518,646 times
Originally Posted by Pandamonium
Quote:
I think I hear your theme song playing now, how does it go?
"Trollin', trollin', trollin'......"
Tollin, trollin', trollin'
Though the streams are swollen
Keep them doggies trollin'.
Rawhide?

All kidding aside, as long as they don't point a gun at me I'll generally trust the police.
But I always verify 1st.
So you could say that I don't trust the uniform, unless I also trust the person who wears it.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:33 AM

864 posts, read 2,981,998 times
I have had some unpleasant run-ins with the Portland PD (turning on their lights to go through a red light, etc.) but had some good ones as well. And the Washington County Sheriff's Department brought in the cavalry when we needed them most. Not only that but they caught the woman I caught trying to steal my dad's car from the garage so they get big kudos from me.

I have a great deal of respect for those who do that job as it is dangerous and they have to deal with drunk/stupid/etc. people have a tendency not to understand just how dangerous it actually is.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:53 AM

10,341 posts, read 9,982,800 times
Iíd have to say I trust them for the most part, unless they give me a reason not to (which they havenít). But that doesnít mean they are not annoying at times.

For example: I used to perform in bars/clubs (musician) pretty much every weekend. And I canít count the number of times I finished the show, hopped into my car, drove offÖ and was pulled over within a block. Mind you, I seldom drink and NEVER when Iím even going to have to be near an auto. I had never broken any law. I was just pulled over, showed them my license, and was told, ďhave a nice evening, goodbye.Ē Like I said, this happened over and over and over. Iíve never been in a wreck, never had a ticket of any sort, and have always been a good driver.

To me, the idea of being guilty until proven innocent is a bit bassackwards. I appreciate what the cops were trying to do or prevent; but really, you canít just assume everyone is drunk. There should be an actual reason to be pulled over, and there never was in my case. OhÖ one officer gave me a good laugh (after he drove away of course). He asked me if I had seen the car driving with no headlights (coming toward me) when I pulled out of the parking lot. I said noÖ and had to bite my tongue to not ask him why he didnít pursue the vehicle driving with no headlights, rather than me.

Probably trustworthy, often annoying. But they do have a horrible job. I would be insane in no time dealing with some of the people they deal with regularly.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:09 PM

149 posts, read 351,016 times
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward, whoever cannot take car of himself without that law is both....

Old 05-09-2009, 04:14 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBradley View Post
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward, whoever cannot take car of himself without that law is both....
Is this a quote from Montgomery Burns?

Old 05-09-2009, 04:20 PM

485 posts, read 903,396 times
Default What?

Quote:
A 90 year old lady getting attacked whould be a coward for calling the police? that a insane remark! This isnt 1779 its 2009 you will be in prison for trying to take things in to your own hands,And there is people who need the police....A rape victim or a child and some dont like to fight? Only a childish bully whould say such! and like i said before there is GOOD AND BAD in every profesion!

Old 05-09-2009, 05:18 PM

149 posts, read 351,016 times
Its the Omerta. That's fine, you call the police all you want. When you call the cops, they're gonna be there about 10-15 minutes after the incident occured, write some stuff down on a peice of paper, tell you that you can pick up a copy of the report at the station, and that's it. I've never seen a cop do anything but abuse his power, protect and serve (when they feel like it) certain people that they like, and harass and inconvenience the ones they don't. I've seen cops parked in parking lots next to each other passing a joint and bottle of Walker Black Label back and foth. I have witnessed too much corruption, greed, and sadism to ever trust a cop.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:34 PM

485 posts, read 903,396 times
Default yes

Quote:
Its the Omerta. That's fine, you call the police all you want. When you call the cops, they're gonna be there about 10-15 minutes after the incident occured, write some stuff down on a peice of paper, tell you that you can pick up a copy of the report at the station, and that's it. I've never seen a cop do anything but abuse his power, protect and serve (when they feel like it) certain people that they like, and harass and inconvenience the ones they don't. I've seen cops parked in parking lots next to each other passing a joint and bottle of Walker Black Label back and foth. I have witnessed too much corruption, greed, and sadism to ever trust a cop.
I agree with what you are saying,The badge goes to most of there heads!And i have also seen them talk down to people and in most cases they think they are the judge when something happens! I honestly dont care for most of the ones i have met,But i have met a few who are just people doing there job and are nice people,I think a lot of it depends on where you live? In the north central part of the us most are pretty good guys! I lived in california and thats where it seemed like most of the HP acted like horses rears!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates