U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2009, 06:21 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,366,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK SAWYER View Post
Either that or your not paying attention to whats going on around you? or maybe your in the system? But to think there isnt caruption around is living in a fairy tale world! I would like to think every town was like mayberry and all cops was like Andy and Barney Fife but its just not like that in our perfect country!
I have always agreed that there are bad apples in every system. But, the way you talk, they are ALL bad apples. And that is simply not the case here.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,398 times
The problem is, good or bad, they all wear the same uniform and carry guns. Furthermore, right or wrong, the forces have the reputation of being more interested in protecting the wrong ones than in getting them out. You'd be a fool to not proceed with caution. God bless car cameras. I suspect it has helped many citizens from abuse.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:39 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
This is kinda long, so just skip it if you dont want to read an account of that goes on behind cloed doors.

Around 1982, when I was working as a reporter in a small midwestern town (10,000 in the county---Mayberry, if you will), an independent candidate ran for election against the incumbent sheriff. He lost but not by much. A few years later, the sheriff retired, and our man ran again, independent, and won, even though he had no law enforcement experience. People broke from party lines to elect integrity, a man they knew and trusted.

Within a year or so, there was an announcement that he had been indicted by a grand jury. The charge? When he became sheriff, his private car was a big old Chrysler, and he said he would save the county money if he could just use his own car, just put law enforcement tires and a light bar on it. They did. He was indiced for "theft of county property"---when the tires were switched, he just put his old ones in his barn.

There was a hearing (even the sheriff gets his day in court) to determine whether to suspend him pending the outcome of his trial. A surprise blonde was flown in from Atlanta to testify that he had offered to release her if she would have sex with him, after she had been busted for drugs. After a full day hearing, the judge ruled that he should be suspended, because public confidence in him has been eroded---even though there was not a single word of testimony in the hearing relating to public confidence in him, and the community was almost unanimously in support of him.

When the county commission voted a month later on the expenditure of the costs for the hearing, they unanimously refused to authorize the funds, and the out-or-town prosecutor arguing for the suspension never got paid.

The next day, after the hearing, the sheriff's body was found dead in a back corner of his farm. Less than 15 minutes after arriving at the scene, the highway patrol closed the case, ruling that it was an accidental death---trauma to the head from a dirt-bike accident. No autopsy.

A few months later, the sheriff's son told my wife, one evening after work , "They killed my dad. I wanted an autopsy but mom wouldn't let them."

A county judge told me later that the sheriff knew too much about too many people of too much importance in a town with too many drug dealers.

So, yes, I've known good cops. And I've seen what happens to them when they try to buck a rotten system.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-09-2009 at 06:49 PM..

Old 05-09-2009, 06:42 PM

485 posts, read 903,396 times
Default ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I have always agreed that there are bad apples in every system. But, the way you talk, they are ALL bad apples. And that is simply not the case here.
I dont meen to come off like i think they are all crooks! If i was to have to guess by percentage i would say less than 10% of them are crooks? I know that most go in with good values and a few start abusing power! Any time money is involved there is abuse, and drugs and money go hand to hand for some..

Old 05-09-2009, 06:47 PM

Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
This is kinda long, so just skip it if you dont want to read an account of that goes on behind cloed doors.

Around 1982, when I was working as a reporter in a small midwestern town (10,000 in the county), an independent candidate ran for election against the incumbent sheriff. He lost but not by much. A few years later, the sheriff retired, and our man ran again, independent, and won, even though he had no law enforcement experience.

Within a year or so, there was an announcement that he had been indicted by a grand jury. The charge? When he became sheriff, his private car was a big old Chrysler, and he said he would save the county money if he could just use his own car, just put law enforcement tires and a light bar on it. They did. He was indiced for "theft of county property"---when the tires were switched, he just put his old ones in his barn.

There was a hearing (even the sheriff gets his day in court) to determine whether to suspend him pending the outcome of his trial. A surprise blonde was flown in from Atlanta to testify that he had offered to release her if she would have sex with him, after she had been busted for drugs. After a full day hearing, the judge ruled that he should be suspended, because public confidence in him has been eroded---even though there was not a single word of testimony in the hearing relating to public confidence in him, and the community was almost unanimously in support of him.

When the county commission voted a month later on the expenditure of the costs for the hearing, they unanimously refused to authorize the funds, and the out-or-town prosecutor arguing for the suspension never got paid.

The next day, after the hearing, the sheriff's body was found dead on his farm. Less than 15 minutes after arriving at the scene, the highway patrol closed the case, ruling that it was an accidental death---trauma to the head from a dirt-bike accident. No autopsy.

A few months later, the sheriff's son told my wife, one evening after work , "They killed my dad. I wanted an autopsy but mom wouldn't let them."

A county judge told me later that the sheriff knew too much about too many people of too much importance in a town with too many drug dealers.

So, yes, I've known good cops. And I've seen what happens to them when they try to buck a rotten system.
Thats a example! And i believe you...It makes me think how much stuff like that is just swept under the rug? I know that a lot more things like you are saying goes on and it should be on every headline and we never hear about those things on national tv or papers!

Last edited by JACK SAWYER; 05-09-2009 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: spell

Old 05-09-2009, 07:03 PM

149 posts, read 351,016 times
A judge in a certain county in a certain state got busted with a half ounce of cocain. We never heard a word about it. He was on the bench the very next day hearing an arson trial. The sheriff in the county over got caught here recently riding down the road smoking a joint and had an ounce of pot in his cruiser.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:11 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
When I was living in Michigan, a local judge was caught in Detroit using drugs, but I can't recall the specifics. He was reprimanded, reassigned to civil court, and ordered to recuse himself in any case that involved controlled substances. He had sent a number of people to jail on drug charges.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:16 PM

I believe Marion Berry[i think was the name]the mayor of chicago if i remember right was caught smoking crack? Then got re elected a few years later...i think thats right? but anyway what was the people thinking? First time his fault second time your fault! once a addict always a addict is what i always hear!....i hope i got most of that right lol..

Old 05-09-2009, 07:21 PM

324 posts, read 755,125 times
uhmm....no. Sorry cops.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:22 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,366,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK SAWYER View Post
I believe Marion Berry[i think was the name]the mayor of chicago if i remember right was caught smoking crack? Then got re elected a few years later...i think thats right? but anyway what was the people thinking? First time his fault second time your fault! once a addict always a addict is what i always hear!....i hope i got most of that right lol..
It was Washington, D.C.

He was elected to the city council - not Mayor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates