Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2009, 07:30 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK SAWYER View Post
I believe Marion Berry[i think was the name]the mayor of chicago if i remember right was caught smoking crack? Then got re elected a few years later...i think thats right? but anyway what was the people thinking? First time his fault second time your fault! once a addict always a addict is what i always hear!....i hope i got most of that right lol..
Yes. Just this week, this same Marion Barry, a member of the D-C City Council, was the only member to vote against gay marriage in DC. How about this for hypocrisy:

"'You are the moral leaders of this community. Politicians ought to be moral," Barry told the crowd.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:48 PM

339 posts, read 707,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBradley View Post
Exactly. It's all a joke. And I tell you honestly, I know ALOT of cops, I've grown up around cops. I have never met a straight one. I know too many cops that smoke pot to count (but I think marijuana prohibition is ridiculous, it will be reversed here very soon I believe), but I know cops that will be working a wreck and will get in their car with people and sell them stuff and tell them as their getting out of the car to buckle up and dont drink and drive! They're all high on various drugs but they all get the biggest buzz of all from power. And judges are even worse. The whole judicial system is twisted.
Did you watch "Walking Tall" last night? Why don't you call the FBI and tell them all about this? It shouldn't be hard to set these tards up if they are really doing all that you say.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:15 PM

488 posts, read 1,024,901 times
Default lol thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
It was Washington, D.C.

He was elected to the city council - not Mayor
Thanks for getting my story straight lol ..I guess thats how things get twisted by people like me with short memorys lol...I failed on that one bad! I hope i spellrd the name right?Anyway its what greatday said...Thanks

Old 05-09-2009, 09:25 PM

Default fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yes. Just this week, this same Marion Barry, a member of the D-C City Council, was the only member to vote against gay marriage in DC. How about this for hypocrisy:

"'You are the moral leaders of this community. Politicians ought to be moral," Barry told the crowd.
Thats what you call it when your brain is fried on drugs! He is not a person i would think no one would look up to?Just a good salesman in my book! He should have never been put back in no kind of power! And Pete Rose cant get in the hall of fame for what i think is a lot less of a crime?That makes me wonder how far the caruption goes...Maybe a crooked vote count?Is there that many forgiving people in the world after watching him take drugs on camera?Maybe i am wrong just cant help from wondering?

Old 05-09-2009, 09:27 PM

Barry was, in fact, mayor of Washington when he was tried and convicted, and re-elected mayor after he served his prison term But now he is a city councilman.

In cases like this, it is usually safe to guess Chicago if not sure.

Personally, I have no problem with cops, mayors, whatever, using drugs or hookers, when they are off duty, as long as they perform honorably on duty and don't betray the public trust to perform the duty they are sworn to uphold. If the people elect an ex-felon, that is who they want in office, and he has a right to serve if elected.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:48 PM

Default 50/50

Quote:
Barry was, in fact, mayor of Washington when he was tried and convicted, and re-elected mayor after he served his prison term But now he is a city councilman.

In cases like this, it is usually safe to guess Chicago if not sure.

Personally, I have no problem with cops, mayors, whatever, using drugs or hookers, when they are off duty, as long as they perform honorably on duty and don't betray the public trust to perform the duty they are sworn to uphold. If the people elect an ex-felon, that is who they want in office, and he has a right to serve if elected.
i agree with the part about being elected! But he is also supposed to be a role model..So i think drug users are not good role models unless doing a HBO program showing you can wind up in prison from behind bars!And nothing against chicago thats what i thaught it was! And i dont know why but I like chicago...so sorry about saying that!

Old 05-09-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
i agree with the part about being elected! But he is also supposed to be a role model.!
Who sez? When I vote, I don't vote for the candidate who is most likely to be a role model. Do you?

Old 05-09-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
i agree with the part about being elected! But he is also supposed to be a role model.!
Who sez? When I vote, I don't vote for the candidate who is most likely to be a role model,irrespective of his qualifications to serve me well in office. Do you?

Old 05-09-2009, 10:13 PM

Default ???

Quote:
Who sez? When I vote, I don't vote for the candidate who is most likely to be a role model,irrespective of his qualifications to serve me well in office. Do you?
Well i think they serve themselves in office? Nothing seems to change much no matter whos in...or at least for me! I have heard children say they want to be president or things like that but never a drug addict!Yes i think they should be a role model,If polititions are known drug addicts kids will think thats ok if a person of power does it it ok for them!Do you think its ok for a semi driver to use drugs? YOU would probably say yes? What if a high trucker killed a loved one going down the road? You are always on the clock when your a mayor or whatever so i dont want a drug user running my business or country!And they are role models and most i think would agree!

Old 05-09-2009, 10:15 PM

Default open

Quote:
I guess i am not that open minded?If they cant be a role model wich means being a decent person? i dont want them in office!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates