U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2009, 10:15 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,310,013 times

Advertisements

Where do you think the bullies go after high school?

Trying to cause other people to conform to a certain standard is bullying.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:40 PM

298 posts, read 944,747 times
I think there are some good cops. However the sad truth is that this profession does draw a lot of nasty people who were bullies growing up that really want to be in a position of power to be able to continue to bully with no consequences. The truth is that they do get away with it! Iv seen it. If they arent on a power trip to bully they break the traffic laws alllllllll the time and never punished.

I believe that police should be held to stricter standards than civilians and when they break the laws they should be fired immediately, like when the cop who held up the black nfl player in texas who wanted to just see his dying mother in law. Or when cops who beat minors being held in custody, they should not only be fired but arrested and charged with a crime. But that never seems to happen. They are just put on leave with pay until an investigation is conducted and then they are cleared or fired, but never any criminal charges for which a regular guy would be subject to. Iv said it soooooo many times that there should be a police for the police and they should be undercover to make sure that cops are sticking to the rules that they enforce.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:00 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,697,600 times
Very few.Some I couldn't ask for better friends.

hillman

Old 08-04-2009, 03:59 PM

Here is a clear example of what I was talking about in my post. ^^^

Many may have seen this as its old, but I only saw it a couple of days ago.
From what I understand, a judge allowed a lawsuit for millions to be continued with by the childs mother and should commence in a couple of months. As for now I believe the cop is just on paid leave. WHAT A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YouTube - Baltimore Cop vs Skater

Old 08-04-2009, 04:05 PM

481 posts, read 808,789 times
It's hard question and I think it is a problem of a few bad apples (ok maybe a little more then a few) spoiling the bunch. I do trust the police and knowing what they have to go through everyday (my mother is a Srgt. for the Dade County Public School police) I give them all mad respect. Saying that, though, I also know of some police officers who do not deserve respect. And I can understand why many people do not respect or trust them. It's a sad situation, because their are many many MANY officers out there who make this world safer for us by putting themselves in unsafe situations and deserve nothing less then being put on a pedistal.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:37 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,653,762 times
If I was a fat cop and they made me wear a Cub Scout uniform, I'd probably develop self-esteem issues, too.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:55 PM

5,230 posts, read 7,327,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Where do you think the bullies go after high school?

Trying to cause other people to conform to a certain standard is bullying.

Isn't that exactly what you do in every gun debate on the forum?

Old 08-04-2009, 08:01 PM

5,230 posts, read 7,327,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyse View Post
Here is a clear example of what I was talking about in my post. ^^^

Many may have seen this as its old, but I only saw it a couple of days ago.
From what I understand, a judge allowed a lawsuit for millions to be continued with by the childs mother and should commence in a couple of months. As for now I believe the cop is just on paid leave. WHAT A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YouTube - Baltimore Cop vs Skater

Thats disgusting. IMHO he should be fired & made to pay back every cent he ever made as a cop.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:06 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,110 posts, read 7,361,248 times
Do You Trust the Police?

Yes

Old 08-04-2009, 09:14 PM

Here are two other examples of abuse of power.

Im sure you all have heard of the first one. I'll give you the copy and paste from wiki on the story, and a link to the video.

In early March, 2009, Moats's mother-in-law, Jonetta Collinsworth, died from breast cancer. When they were informed that Collinsworth was close to death, Moats, his wife Tamishia (Collinsworth's daughter) and other family members rushed to Baylor Regional Medical Center in Plano, Texas. After driving through a red light, Moats was stopped by a Dallas Police Department officer, who delayed him for 13 minutes outside the hospital's emergency room, after Moats's explanation was corroborated by a hospital nurse. The officer drew his weapon during the incident. By the time Moats reached Collinsworth, she had died.
When asked if he felt the officer should be fired, Moats said, "I really don't know. All I know is what he did was wrong. I mean, he stole a moment away from me that I can never get back. I'm really not the judge on what should happen to him. I think maybe his superiors and the Dallas police should handle what should happen to him."
The officer issued an apology to the Moatses. Police officials investigated the officer's actions; he was placed on administrative leave but later resigned from the department.

Dallas police chief apologizes for conduct of officer who drew gun on NFL player outside hospital | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/032609dnmetcopstop.3e9c080.html - broken link)

Heres a link to the second story and video:

Story: King County deputy charged with fourth-degree assault on teen girl
Video: VIDEO: Police Officer Beats Teen Girl

Now shouldnt something be done other than administrative paid leave?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates