U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 12:42 AM

8,221 posts, read 10,949,170 times

Advertisements

after seeing so many cases of their abuse of power I wonder if we really are better off with them. Seems politicians want us to be affraid of each other so we will tax ourselves and give them ourmmoney to waste.. I don't feel safer that they can buy unmarked Mustang GT's and illegally tint the windows so they can write more tickets. I guess I feel more abused actually especially since they are wasting my money.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:19 AM

27,236 posts, read 40,273,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Isn't that exactly what you do in every gun debate on the forum?
Nope, I'm not making anyone do anything....am I?

Old 08-05-2009, 03:11 AM

13 posts, read 10,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
...and it's very possible one who portrays the police as underachieving bullies, are actually underachieving losers who have had unpleasant encounters with police.....
Become a better person, have less encounters, and learn to respect the police...' It's never to late for YOU to change your evil ways...
member the agreement that you had to accept before posting? Personal insults...are fail.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:10 AM

5,230 posts, read 7,321,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Nope, I'm not making anyone do anything....am I?

No, just promoting the control of others. Who do you suppose would enforce that control?

I generally trust the police, but its never wise to simply trust blindly, there are control freaks everywhere & the cop in the video is a prime example.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:21 AM

27,236 posts, read 40,273,555 times
Quote:
No, just promoting the control of others. Who do you suppose would enforce that control?

I generally trust the police, but its never wise to simply trust blindly, there are control freaks everywhere & the cop in the video is a prime example.
Hey, what I'm suggesting would be voluntary...people with some modicum of common sense would do it willingly.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:07 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,755,932 times
As in any group, there is a percentage of bad seeds and a percentage of good ones and those in the middle doing as best as they can.

I do not notice that human nature applies anywhere. If a cop stops you and you show an attitude and give a hard time or push a button, you will get a reaction. They are just as human as you are. I have not doubt that in some cases people in this forum present they had some contribution to some type of bad treatment. However, no one here will say "I gave a hard time to a cop and I called him names, etc. when he took me in".

I have dealt with them just as much as other people. I will say that from personal experience generally they will treat you with the same degree of respect you treat them.

However, there is a factor I consider. They often do not get called to see how nice some neighborgh is treating his other neighborgh, do they? No. They are called to intervene between two individuals and along the way, very often, they end up being called names and get a hard time.

They are also being called not know if anybody has a gun under their shirt, coat, etc. You may not have a weapon but that cop does not know and he has to take all precautions possible to protect his life and those around him. Now, people do take offense because a cop takes precautions if you have a weapon. It is natural to feel offended if a cop keeps asking all these questions and has to physically check you to see if you do not have a weapon on you.

To me it is simply part of their job. Many cops have lost their lives when they drop their guard because they trusted someobody. So I think it this situation it is a mutual distrust. The circumstances seem to lead into this type of mood.

I generally show trust and respect even though I may not like their procedures. So far, it has paid off and they even have shown me apprecitation for being patient with them.
I do not stereotype all of them because of the few bad apples.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 08-05-2009, 01:33 PM

298 posts, read 943,928 times
Quote:
Thats disgusting. IMHO he should be fired & made to pay back every cent he ever made as a cop.

Heres the same guy caught again...........

YouTube - Baltimore Cop Strikes Again

and the wiki story
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvatore_Rivieri

Old 08-05-2009, 01:48 PM

298 posts, read 943,928 times
Oh, and heres an interview of the officer in the Moats case. Doesnt he just look like a punk you might of went to high school with? Come on, this is what kind of people the police departments hire.

YouTube - Dallas police Officer Robert Powell first interview...After he Detains SUV and Mother Dies

Last edited by Nyse; 08-05-2009 at 02:11 PM..

Old 08-05-2009, 01:57 PM
miu

16,469 posts, read 33,425,465 times
Default Do You Trust the Police?

I trust the police in my city and the town I grew up in. But both places are very safe areas to live in. With the police in Boston and other more urban areas, I respect and understand their increased caution and more jaded attitude towards the citizens they interact with there.

I know some police officers personally. I think that they are regular decent people without control issues. I know they get pissed when someone resists arrest or tries to flee just to escape being questioned. And those perps are usually the guilty ones. But one friend tore up his hand pretty badly while scaling a fence to catch a guy.

As someone who has had an apartment and a garage broken into and the thieves never being caught, I want the police to be able to do their job as best they can and trying to catch the bad guys. Of course the police are going to end up questioning innocent people as they carry out their investigation. So what? They aren't mind readers.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:51 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,027,624 times
I think it depends what you mean by "trust."

Remember, police have the statutory authority to detain you and throw you into a holding cell for hours or even days on end based more or less on their own discretion and version of events. That can ruin your life, especially if charges are filed afterwards.

So to that extent, it's probably best to minimize one's contact and cooperation with law enforcement authorities. Seek to avoid them, and if they are unavoidable, shut up and stay quiet until you can confer with a lawyer.

That's probably the best policy for everyone, since it also means you stay out of the way of police and don't interfere with their work.

But in terms of casually cooperating with officers or casually answering their questions - even if those questions seem innocuous - absolutely not. You never really know the full potential legal implications of the statements that you make. So, it is best to make none at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates