U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 04:13 PM

742 posts, read 1,049,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
They listened to me, surprisingly enough.

Walking home from work isn't loitering or vagrancy. Standing around in one place might be loitering, but I didn't stand in one place.

I guess people waiting for a bus though are...loitering, eh?
well for starters, we only have your word on this issue, who knows how accurately u are portraying it
secondly i have no idea how you act or dress and comport yourself in public

Old 09-10-2009, 04:19 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,294,119 times
My job found my attire acceptable, so why shouldn't these cops? Besides, it doesn't matter.

I go from one point to another point, in the middle of the night. If I'm not RUNNING down the road (suspicious), loitering (suspicious), or talking with some other person (suspicious), but just walking down a lighted street at a normal pace, I'm doing NOTHING wrong. No matter what time of day or night it happens to be.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
My job found my attire acceptable, so why shouldn't these cops? Besides, it doesn't matter.

I go from one point to another point, in the middle of the night. If I'm not RUNNING down the road (suspicious), loitering (suspicious), or talking with some other person (suspicious), but just walking down a lighted street at a normal pace, I'm doing NOTHING wrong. No matter what time of day or night it happens to be.
very few people have reasons to be walking outside in the middle of the night. any police officer at the VERY least should take notice.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:30 PM

2,034 posts, read 3,532,447 times
I definitely remember my tour of duty as ships MAA~ spell that cop at sea~if my superiors were any example I would say I do not trust cops! And yes~ did come into contact with real police in several states and several countrys~ still do not trust cops! Most do the best they can but met enough that didn't to not trust them at all.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:31 PM

People get off at different times, there are different shifts.

The one guy said the store was closed--yeah, it is, to CUSTOMERS. I work there, it's different. He said he knew the manager, and would give him a call. Sure, PLEASE do, give him my name...see, because I was not in the wrong, I was simply walking home from work.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
People get off at different times, there are different shifts.

The one guy said the store was closed--yeah, it is, to CUSTOMERS. I work there, it's different. He said he knew the manager, and would give him a call. Sure, PLEASE do, give him my name...see, because I was not in the wrong, I was simply walking home from work.
it does not matter, it is the officers DUTY to check on people

Old 09-10-2009, 04:35 PM

No it isn't. Not unless they're causing a problem or having a problem. If they're minding their own business, it's not their duty to hassle them.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
No it isn't. Not unless they're causing a problem or having a problem. If they're minding their own business, it's not their duty to hassle them.
not your call to make bud.

have a good one!

Old 09-10-2009, 04:39 PM

Yes, they make the wrong call a lot of times. So why not just get rid of them?

Old 09-10-2009, 04:59 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,613,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
it does not matter, it is the officers DUTY to check on people
No it is not. Not unless the people appear to be in danger or distress, or behaving in a way that clearly suggests criminal activity.

I have a perfect right to walk out of my house any hour of the day or night and walk in any public place, without any ID on my person. Just as I have a right to be driving a car at any hour without being pulled over without probable cause or driving infraction.

The officer has neither a duty nor a right to confront me in the middle of the afternoon and demand that I account for myself, and the Constitution makes no exception for night time hours.

Furthermore, if an officer walks up to you and talks to you, you have a right to just walk away. If he detains you, he must show probable cause for doing so. At any hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates